Cabin Filters

@cavementech thanks for linking, yea, i couldn't find it on the site. If its reusable, I wonder how that works compared to a carbon one... since carbon will exhaust itself and then has to be renewed.

This is the one I'm using. If I lost airflow I can't really tell but I do have great window tint on every piece of glass including sunroof so my truck cools off fast even during the summer.
IMG_0038.png

I put a Bosch Hepa filter in and it made a big difference in the air output from the fan. Got to crank the fan up definitely better fitter but does change heater output. Put it in when we where having a huge wildfire seems to have helped.
I too up until yesterday had a hepa filter. Never again, the hepa filters restrict the air flow greatly. I put in a Wix, air flow is so much better. I don't care that much about outside smells, never last that long.

I recently ordered a PureFlow. We'll see how it performs once I get it and install it.

I recently ordered a PureFlow. We'll see how it performs once I get it and install it.
PureFlow is exactly what I removed, it will restrict the flow of air 50%. I'm in Texas, too hot to restrict air flow.

I've run the MicroGuard for a few weeks now. Just had a road trip to the Key's over the weekend. I agree with the comments about the restricted airflow...basically I now keep the temp at 68 instead of 73 to get roughly the same output I was used to, and agree it's probably a 50% restriction.

I will note, however, that the stinky exterior smells are 80% reduced. I would occasionally get a hint of exterior exhaust smell or other smells, but only a hint opposed to a distinct smell. Verdict is still out if it "solved" my problem though.

PureFlow is exactly what I removed, it will restrict the flow of air 50%. I'm in Texas, too hot to restrict air flow.
Was it a HEPA? I didn't order the HEPA.

I’m more worried about the occasional mildew smell than I am outside smells. Can you run without a filter or will debris get into the evaporator core?

Thanks for the Bosch suggestions. Planning on driving through western Canada this summer. I'm definitely interested in getting a good HEPA cabin filter. I get exposed to research in air quality in my job and what small combustion particles can do to a person in even a short period of time is scary. I can live with the reduced efficiency while going through that part of Canada. Filters are easy to replace -- unlike my car. I think that the entire car was built around the cabin filter.

@TremorSS if that naturally occurs, its worth just paying the dealer to do the service to purge with the cleaning foam than not run a filter. Case in point, look at your filter after its on for a year or so...all that stuff would otherwise be...elsewhere. Subaru actually has it part of extended MX program as a recommended service to prevent it from happening (just as a point of reference) on their Outbacks.

I too used a Bosch Cabin filter and the AC acted like it would max out on medium. It had zero air flow. Took it out and put OEM back in and BAM twice as much airflow. Seems the K&N does even better.

Back