Both batteries dead after 4 days

texaspro

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-250 King Ranch Tremor Powerstroke
Current Ride #2
2015 F-150 SCREW FX4
Came home from a 4 day to find my truck completely dead. Both batteries. It was in the shop at about 40 degrees F. Battery charger won't charge either. Says to replace them. I checked to see if any aftermarket accessories were left on. No were. IDK. Heard of anything like this?

10k miles
6.7L diesel
2022 SD KR F-350

Came home from a 4 day to find my truck completely dead. Both batteries. It was in the shop at about 40 degrees F. Battery charger won't charge either. Says to replace them. I checked to see if any aftermarket accessories were left on. No were. IDK. Heard of anything like this?

10k miles
6.7L diesel
2022 SD KR F-350
To sanity check, anything aftermarket tied into the power system or plugged into the OBDII port?

To sanity check, anything aftermarket tied into the power system or plugged into the OBDII port?
To clarify on this: you say you checked for aftermarket accessories left on, but my concern is if anything aftermarket prevented the truck from fully going to sleep.

Airbags, spot lights on the upfitter switches (off), powered bed cover.

I can track that down once I get it fixed. Really wondering why they wouldn't take a charge. Thinking I'll take them to Interstate Battery and have them run their tester on them. Really hate to call service. Especially this week.

I'll throw another possibility out there. Depending on the aftermarket unit(s) you have - something could have been on and once the battery voltage dropped low enough said unit electronically shutoff leaving no trace that it was ever left on.

I would start with any items that are tied to the battery directly (or via relay) and not solely a "key on" circuit.

Is there a technique to getting the battery bracket off on these?

Really wondering why they wouldn't take a charge
That probably depends on the charger. If the drain pulled the voltage low enough some will register as defective and won't apply power to recharge. I have an older wheeled unit that I have pulled out on occasion that will work where a newer electronic charger won't.

• Winner
Reactions: ccw
Aside from the possible add on causing the issue, there are numerous things that can draw down a battery, should they fail. I've had glow plug relays stick and draw them down, I've had the fuel bowl heater short, (long story behind that one) diodes in the alternator "leaking" causing a slow draw, etc. (Not on my 22, older diesel trucks)

It's probably safe to say that if the new batteries work, you should obviously monitor it to see if something is pulling it down. I wouldn't expect anybody to actually put a current shunt in series between the truck and battery and measure the current draw, but this is the way I would troubleshoot this if mine failed. However, the truck should be under warranty and I'm sure they will look this over very thoroughly. If they don't find anything, @Modman most likely hit the nail on the head, an accessory was still on and turned off (or relay released) after the battery died.

Hope you find the problem, dead batteries and not knowing what caused it, is frustrating at best.

Could just be bad batch of batteries on MY22's. My battery died at about 9K miles 10 months old. Autozone charged the battery for 18 hours and it wouldn't charge above 9.8 volts. Ford quick service lane swapped it out but I was there over an hour because they said they had to wait for approval or something to swap a dead battery under warranty. I thought it was because of my front & rear dash cams run 24/7. Just a bad battery

I was having this issue for a long time had to start it every 2 days. Then when I had power but engine would not start took it into the shop they found the water and dust got into the Fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. This was causing the truck to drain the batteries. It's been about 6 months now and no problems. You might want to have your Ford house look at this.

Back