Bilstein 5100s Discussion

I have bilstein 5100s at all 4 corners and a superlift dual steering stabilizer with bilsteins and am extremely happy. The dual steering stabilizer made a huge difference after the leveling kit and larger tires. Got it right off amazon and super easy to install took all of 30 minutes.

I’m curious why their 2023 unit is almost $200 more, it looks like an identical unit to 2022. I hate when companies do that, if anything, for me that would be a good enough reason not to go with Superlift, but find a competitor that prices their product reasonably.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpeg
    IMG_1951.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 30
I’m curious why their 2023 unit is almost $200 more, it looks like an identical unit to 2022. I hate when companies do that, if anything, for me that would be a good enough reason not to go with Superlift, but find a competitor that prices their product reasonably.
That is crazy....I know I found mine on Amazon on sale I forget what I paid but it ended up being cheaper than any of the other kits. I cant blame you there really gouging the prices in that case. For the hell of it order a 22 kit and see if it fits. If you order off amazon free returns they take anything back.

That is crazy....I know I found mine on Amazon on sale I forget what I paid but it ended up being cheaper than any of the other kits. I cant blame you there really gouging the prices in that case. For the hell of it order a 22 kit and see if it fits. If you order off amazon free returns they take anything back.

I take it back, it must be an Amazon pricing thing. RealTruck who owns Superlift (i assume) has them priced the same between 22 and 23. I made an assumption that since it’s a Superlift Store on Amazon, they set the prices. But now i think it’s amazon doing its thing, not Superlift.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpeg
    IMG_1955.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 19
I wanted to provide my experience with the Bilsteins. I had the knock on stock rear shocks from about the first 500 miles off the dealer lot. I installed new Bilstein 5100’s this past weekend and these trucks should have come standard with these things. The ride is night and day better. If you’re on the fence about the Bilsteins it’s definitely worth the expense. I’m sure some of the higher performance shocks are just that much better, but for what I needed, these Bilsteins are awesome.
This post leads nicely to my question. Why Bilstiens specifically?

I think my 23MY rides very nicely, for a 1-ton truck especially. It handles corners nicely, doesn't porpoise on the freeway, soaks up little bumps, etc. So, I guess my other question to the group is, what exactly is improving with the Bilstiens over the factory shocks, and like Dos Hijas asked, why not other, higher performance shocks instead of Bilsteins? I mean, if it's because they are inexpensive I'd get that logic in a Honda Civic forum, but this board is full of people who afforded a $100k truck. You'd think there would be more exotic suspension being discussed.

This post leads nicely to my question. Why Bilstiens specifically?

I think my 23MY rides very nicely, for a 1-ton truck especially. It handles corners nicely, doesn't porpoise on the freeway, soaks up little bumps, etc. So, I guess my other question to the group is, what exactly is improving with the Bilstiens over the factory shocks, and like Dos Hijas asked, why not other, higher performance shocks instead of Bilsteins? I mean, if it's because they are inexpensive I'd get that logic in a Honda Civic forum, but this board is full of people who afforded a $100k truck. You'd think there would be more exotic suspension being discussed.

The Bilsteins are a good, off the shelf replacement shock. They have a good warranty, and are an upgrade over stock. The price point is part of their popularity. Are they the only option, no.
You can spends thousands on shocks if you want, but just because someone owns an expensive truck, doesn't mean they want or need to spend thousands on shocks to see improvement. In some cases, the more expensive shock might have no advantage because the vehicle is not used in way that taps into the shocks potential.

There are other threads discussing more exotic suspension systems.

I think you just sold me on the air hammer. May need a new air ratchet also. But I see dewalt makes a 20v ratchet too that I could use without needing the compressor. Or I could get a cordless compressor and use the air ratchet. So many tools so little time!
Air hammer is sort of a niche tool, I'd get a hold of the cheapest one you can find at Harbor Freight to give one a try. I've used mine about a half dozen times over 20 years, but at least 5 of those times it was indispensible and I used it for about 30 seconds.

BRAAAAP. Done.

The Bilsteins are a good, off the shelf replacement shock. They have a good warranty, and are an upgrade over stock. The price point is part of their popularity. Are they the only option, no.
You can spends thousands on shocks if you want, but just because someone owns an expensive truck, doesn't mean they want or need to spend thousands on shocks to see improvement. In some cases, the more expensive shock might have no advantage because the vehicle is not used in way that taps into the shocks potential.

There are other threads discussing more exotic suspension systems.
Agree. Especially when a 5100 gets you 95% of the capability of an "exotic" system vs stock (while costing 4x to 10x more), it's always a great first option.

I have bilstein 5100s at all 4 corners and a superlift dual steering stabilizer with bilsteins and am extremely happy. The dual steering stabilizer made a huge difference after the leveling kit and larger tires. Got it right off amazon and super easy to install took all of 30 minutes.

Here’s a good video on superlift dual stabilizer (he replaced to it at the very end, had a different unit on which was not designed for stock height). I’m considering it given that it is designed for stock height and i’ve heard lots of positive about it lately

I had my first real and extended towing experience with the Superlift dual stabilizer system, Bilstein steering stabilizer's, and the 2 degree caster shims, in the last two days. Towed nearly 700 miles on mostly two lane highways in the last two days with a 7800 lb bumper pull trailer and about 600 lbs in the truck bed.

The truck handles very well. I already was pleased with the truck, after the mod when not towing, but towing might have been different. It is excellent and WAY better than stock. No wandering because of uneven surfaces or highway ruts, and no feedback from rough surfaces. It handles like it should have all along. Now at 91,000 miles and on my second set of tires. Very happy with this upgrade.

Until recently, I have always had to keep correcting all the time. Sometimes leading to the warning window in the dash to get some rest. Now, it just goes where pointed with no effort. Much less tiring and more enjoyable trips.

Until recently, I have always had to keep correcting all the time. Sometimes leading to the warning window in the dash to get some rest. Now, it just goes where pointed with no effort. Much less tiring and more enjoyable trips.
My truck wanders a bit too. Not enough to trigger the drowsy warning, but it's annoying how I have to ride its ass constantly to keep it centered and it still manages to squirm enough to set off the warning vibration every once in a while. I think I found my next upgrade.

I had my first real and extended towing experience with the Superlift dual stabilizer system, Bilstein steering stabilizer's, and the 2 degree caster shims, in the last two days. Towed nearly 700 miles on mostly two lane highways in the last two days with a 7800 lb bumper pull trailer and about 600 lbs in the truck bed.

The truck handles very well. I already was pleased with the truck, after the mod when not towing, but towing might have been different. It is excellent and WAY better than stock. No wandering because of uneven surfaces or highway ruts, and no feedback from rough surfaces. It handles like it should have all along. Now at 91,000 miles and on my second set of tires. Very happy with this upgrade.

Did you level your tremor or is it at stock height front and rear? If you’re stock I’ll probably do this too since the wandering and constant need to keep it straight and centered are my biggest complaints.

I'm looking to replace my oem's with bilstiens but don't want/need the lift - what part number did you guys go with on that route?

If youre going to bitch, bitch at amazon. The kits are the same price on Superlifts website.

People are little bitches these days.

If youre going to bitch, bitch at amazon. The kits are the same price on Superlifts website.

People are little bitches these days.

You’re the only one bitching. I took back my comment and said the same thing to @Mas13pharmd two posts later that you pretty much repeated, that it was an amazon thing not a superlift thing. Can’t read?

Btw, you’ve been bitching since the day you joined the forum, don’t think people didn’t notice.

You’re the only one bitching. I took back my comment and said the same thing to @Mas13pharmd two posts later that you pretty much repeated, that it was an amazon thing not a superlift thing. Can’t read?

Btw, you’ve been bitching since the day you joined the forum, don’t think people didn’t notice.
Clearly you focus on only a small percentage of things posted. I have no problem calling a spade a spade....

Ill bet amazon does it based on the number of years the old one fits versus the new one.

have no problem calling a spade a spade....

Neither do i. I realized it was an amazon thing and owned it. There was no need to put me down for it.

I take it back, it must be an Amazon pricing thing. RealTruck who owns Superlift (i assume) has them priced the same between 22 and 23. I made an assumption that since it’s a Superlift Store on Amazon, they set the prices. But now i think it’s amazon doing its thing, not Superlift.

Neither do i. I realized it was an amazon thing and owned it. There was no need to put me down for it.
So its ok to blast a company and put them down on your ignorance, but not ok to blast the person passing on bad information... got it...

So its ok to blast a company and put them down on your ignorance, but not ok to blast the person passing on bad information... got it...

The person (me) self corrected and admitted he was in the wrong. What exactly are you blasting him for?

Back