Oh my - FOX Shocks

TX Crawler

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
My passenger rear shock has clunked since the day I drove it home. Now, at 22K miles, it's starting to get pretty annoying -- so much so, my wife even asked what the noise was. My truck spends 99% of the time commuting to/from work, occasionally pulls buggy (+/- 8500 lbs), and sees 2 weeks worth of Colorado back country wash boarded roads chasing wild cutties every summer. My '18 ate 2" shocks like candy on the Colorado trips (even remote resi's). I decided to see how a 2.5" shock holds up. One thing's for sure, they look awesome! We'll see how they work.
Rear Fox.jpg

Curious if you have to drill the top bushing spacer out on the fox.

Mine was .550 ID mount was .650 OD
The old shocks at the top were only rubber, and the mount had the smooth metal part was odd.

Also, you’re going to love the ride, it was smoother than I expected it to be.
I did 3 clicks LSC and 6 clicks HSC for the front
2 clicks LSC, 5 clicks HSC for the rear

Last edited:
Curious if you have to drill the top bushing spacer out on the fox.

Mine was .550 ID mount was .650 OD
The old shocks at the top were only rubber, and the mount had the smooth metal part was odd.
Yes I did. Drilled them out with a 5/8" bit but still couldn't get them on. Ended up using a stepped bit on the very edge and they went right on.

Would love to hear some feedback after you put them to use. I have spoke with Accutune regarding shocks only knew of one member here with them that doesn’t post often. Sounds like there is a couple more. Which 2” did you have on the prior truck?

Would love to hear some feedback after you put them to use. I have spoke with Accutune regarding shocks only knew of one member here with them that doesn’t post often. Sounds like there is a couple more. Which 2” did you have on the prior truck?

Both of the rear stock shocks were completely junk when I took them off -- I can't believe how bad of shape they were in for only 22k miles. But, I'd also argue that the rear shocks don't do a lot, with the stiff leaf springs, when the truck is unloaded. We drove it to dinner last night, after putting the new ones on, and I couldn't really tell that much of a difference other than the "clunk" was gone. I'm sure the stock fronts are toast too but the 2.5's are backordered for a few more months.

On my 18', I started with the Fox 2.0's and then eventually replaced the fronts with the 2.0 remote resi's. I traded the truck in before I got around to upgrading the rears.

I've got these waiting to go on mine. Excited to see how they improve the ride.
Did yours come with bushings in the rod side of rear shocks? Mine are just a big hole, waiting to hear back from them but I am assuming stock bushings get moved over?
Mine are Cognito spec'd shocks, interestingly have the adjustment and reservoir mounted differently for easier accessibility I guess.
What are you doing for rest of the system? Or just replacing shocks?
20221204_190256.jpg

Just did shocks on mine, stock f350 suspension with 800lbs constant in the bed ( overland setup )
With the right settings it's a good ride improvement.
Also mine had the bushings ( though had to be drilled out like OP's )
View attachment 109458Monster can for size
I like the orange look, wish mine had that sticker kit.
What are you doing for reservoir mounts?

kit came with them

FOX-983-02-143
FOX-883-26-095
FOX-883-26-096

FOX 2.0 Factory Series ATS Stabilizer 17-ON Ford Superduty ATS Stabilizer, 8.1“
Trav, 22.19” Ext, Through-Shaft, 1-1/8“ Clamp
Kit: 17-ON Ford SD Front, 2.5 Truck PES, R/R, 0-1.5” Lift, DSC
Kit: 17-ON Ford SD Rear, 2.5 Truck PES, P/B, 0-1.5“ Lift, DSC
20221224_183406 - Copy.JPG

I've got these waiting to go on mine. Excited to see how they improve the ride.
Did yours come with bushings in the rod side of rear shocks? Mine are just a big hole, waiting to hear back from them but I am assuming stock bushings get moved over?
Mine are Cognito spec'd shocks, interestingly have the adjustment and reservoir mounted differently for easier accessibility I guess.
What are you doing for rest of the system? Or just replacing shocks?

Mine came with the bushings already installed. Nothing else to the suspension other than installing the fronts when they come in. At some point, replacing front end wear items (track bar, drag link, tie rod, etc.) with either PMF or PolyPerformance stuff.

I like the orange look, wish mine had that sticker kit.

Two different series. His are the Performance Elite Series with an all aluminum shock body and yours are the Factory Race series with steel body.
However, Fox did recently update where now even all there Factory Race Series also have the Fox orange branding.

So how much did it cost to replace the stock shocks with these bad boys? Worth the expense in your opinion? Also if you don’t mind, where did you ultimately buy them from? They’re sweet looking and Fox has a high reputation.

The Performance Elite Series are not cheap. But per specs they appear to be the highest quality shock available for our stock location/application. The one piece all aluminum body, better designed seals, different pistons, etc. They run about 3500 for all four.
One of the reasons I appreciate that is because the lower end Fox and the Kings oxidize and weather so quickly.

kit came with them

FOX-983-02-143
FOX-883-26-095
FOX-883-26-096

FOX 2.0 Factory Series ATS Stabilizer 17-ON Ford Superduty ATS Stabilizer, 8.1“
Trav, 22.19” Ext, Through-Shaft, 1-1/8“ Clamp
Kit: 17-ON Ford SD Front, 2.5 Truck PES, R/R, 0-1.5” Lift, DSC
Kit: 17-ON Ford SD Rear, 2.5 Truck PES, P/B, 0-1.5“ Lift, DSCView attachment 109460

These part numbers are for the 0-1.5" lift. The Tremor has is roughly 2" lift from the factory right? Still work out ok? Thx!

Thanks. Pricey for sure, but if they hold up, worth it.

These part numbers are for the 0-1.5" lift. The Tremor has is roughly 2" lift from the factory right? Still work out ok? Thx!
Tremor has a roughly 2" lift if you count height gained from the tires. Who does that? Tire sizes has nothing to do with shock length.

Tremor has a roughly 2" lift if you count height gained from the tires. Who does that? Tire sizes has nothing to do with shock length.
Of course you don’t measure lift from tire size in shock length calculations. I wasn’t suggesting that. I thought (maybe incorrectly) that the tremor shock had a longer measurement than a non tremor model more equivalent to a 2” lift.

Nice friendly reply though.

When I laid the stock rear next to the new Fox, the Fox was about half an inch shorter. I was little concerned about it, but when I drooped the rear axle out to install them, I still had to compress the shock about 2" to get them on. At least for the rears, the stock leaves are the limiting factor for articulation, not the shock.

Of course you don’t measure lift from tire size in shock length calculations. I wasn’t suggesting that. I thought (maybe incorrectly) that the tremor shock had a longer measurement than a non tremor model more equivalent to a 2” lift.

Nice friendly reply though.

I'm just surprised that this concept of "2" lift" is still going around after all this time, measurements taken and numerous threads finding it false. Wasn't trying to bust your balls. It started when these trucks were first introduced. Ford in their media release used the the wording "2 inch front end lift', media ran with that (and continues to write that), owners thought that.....it didn't take to find out that 2" higher up front when compared to a base Super Duty on 32's, maybe 33's, was the reality, and not truly a 2" lift.

When it comes to these aftermarket shocks I look at like this, the shock was originally made to work on an earlier SD with 0-1.5" lift. I know the Tremor does not have a 1.5" suspension lift compared to those 17-19 trucks so it should work no problem. For that kinda money I do understand the concern.

Back