Baja Designs 7 XL linkable kit

What ones do you have on the A pillar?

How is the light out of the sides, does it blind you or reflect off of the hood very bad?
Baja LP4’s, I put black vinyl on the sides facing the hood to prevent that.

Hey guys,

First off, thank you for the support and interest. Feel free to pin me directly via PM or tag me here so I can better pick up on questions.

I wanted to chime in regarding the discussion about our choice in amber color temperature. BD put a lot of time into selecting this particular shade of amber, almost entirely from a perspective of performance. It was designed to provide better performance in inclement weather, while not drastically reducing overall output or sacrificing terrain recognition.

It is widely accepted that the amber color range has benefits when under dusty or rainy conditions. However, it is also a reality that as you travel down the spectrum into "darker" selections of amber, you begin to lose general performance. Our 5000k color temperature is the absolute best performing color range when driving in clear conditions. The true white "daylight" it produces is the easiest for your eyes to adapt to and provides better terrain recognition than other color ranges. Naturally, we designed our Amber to be as close to this range as possible, while still providing significant improvements under foggy/dust conditions when compared to 5000k. The noticeable improvements of our amber color reduce output by only 5%. Something we consider a great win-win solution.

All that said - while BD tends to focus primarily on performance, we have noted that there is demand for a solution that does consider the aesthetics of the OEM lighting. We have not to my knowledge begun designing a new color range, but it is on the radar.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

Hey guys,

First off, thank you for the support and interest. Feel free to pin me directly via PM or tag me here so I can better pick up on questions.

I wanted to chime in regarding the discussion about our choice in amber color temperature. BD put a lot of time into selecting this particular shade of amber, almost entirely from a perspective of performance. It was designed to provide better performance in inclement weather, while not drastically reducing overall output or sacrificing terrain recognition.

It is widely accepted that the amber color range has benefits when under dusty or rainy conditions. However, it is also a reality that as you travel down the spectrum into "darker" selections of amber, you begin to lose general performance. Our 5000k color temperature is the absolute best performing color range when driving in clear conditions. The true white "daylight" it produces is the easiest for your eyes to adapt to and provides better terrain recognition than other color ranges. Naturally, we designed our Amber to be as close to this range as possible, while still providing significant improvements under foggy/dust conditions when compared to 5000k. The noticeable improvements of our amber color reduce output by only 5%. Something we consider a great win-win solution.

All that said - while BD tends to focus primarily on performance, we have noted that there is demand for a solution that does consider the aesthetics of the OEM lighting. We have not to my knowledge begun designing a new color range, but it is on the radar.

Your response and thinking ,in my opinion, is spot on! Thank you for focusing on performance, which is why i will always use your product.

To me, Optimal Performance is a "must have, and matching aesthetics to the OEM lighting is very much a "nice to have"

in the interim, is there any lens/filter that can be used on top of the BD amber fogs to better match OEM amber colors?

If you are more worried about looks than performance, buy some poser lights off of ebay or Amazon. I've got Baja designs lights on multiple vehicles including sxs's and trucks. I bought them for how awesome they work, not how awesome they look..

Hey guys,

Really appreciate this response. I know for myself I will only ever have fog lights on while driving in inclement weather, so I don't care about the looks - I'll be inside the truck - I care about performance.

I don't have any of your products just yet, but they are on the purchase list!

(This is also where the OEM "fog" lights have never really made sense to me. They have a clear lens, indicating they're for clear conditions, but when it's clear I want long throw lights, which they are not. When it's inclement weather, I do want wide and short throw similar to OEM, but then i also want amber.)

Hey guys,

This is why I’m a dealer for BD, I also carry the other brands, but BD is what’s on my personal truck and shop truck.

Hey guys,

Thanks, puts a new perspective on the lights & amber color

Any truth to the rumor you are redesigned the 7 link mount to better clear the camera & not block as much of it

Any chance you can do a video of the lights from the inside of the truck showing the different lights & how they light up the trail?

Imagine paying 1k for lights that "match" instead of lights that work. The internet never ceases to amaze.

If you've got any empirical data on the performance delta between a color-matched amber and a yellow, please post it. I'm curious how many individual percentage points of difference the two represent, and how much the human eye is able to discern.

One brand's choice for their product line does not equate to a binary fact. Rigid, for example, doesn't seem to have a problem producing lights further along that amber spectrum - to my understanding they are still a premier producer of off-road lighting and their products are considered pretty effective.

So, I'm imagining paying closer to 2.5K for lights that match AND work... Ideally. That some people assume the solution is binary amazes me. Fact is, I'd gladly buy a BD system even with the yellow lens if I knew I had the option to swap it out at a later time should I choose.

If you've got any empirical data on the performance delta between a color-matched amber and a yellow, please post it. I'm curious how many individual percentage points of difference the two represent, and how much the human eye is able to discern.

One brand's choice for their product line does not equate to a binary fact. Rigid, for example, doesn't seem to have a problem producing lights further along that amber spectrum - to my understanding they are still a premier producer of off-road lighting and their products are considered pretty effective.

So, I'm imagining paying closer to 2.5K for lights that match AND work... Ideally. That some people assume the solution is binary amazes me. Fact is, I'd gladly buy a BD system even with the yellow lens if I knew I had the option to swap it out at a later time should I choose.

I’ve had rigid lights, they are not nearly as modular or put out as much usable light as BD, but they look good for people more interested in looks than performance

But they do have a most excellent marketing division

See there’s that
I’ve had rigid lights, they are not nearly as modular or put out as much usable light as BD, but they look good for people more interested in looks than performance

But they do have a most excellent marketing division

There it is again...

I can't speak for everyone, but in the world I inhabit, choice is rarely one of absolutes. I've never encountered such a stark decision that choosing one meant the total exclusion of the other. See, my 7.3L is not producing 1500hp, and I'm not participating in any high speed off-road races, so equipping pinnacle components which provide a few single digit percentage points of advantage isn't really something I worry too much about. How about you?

If you skip back a few posts, you'll see this particular 'discussion' began because I posted a couple concerns - directed toward Nick regarding the nature of the mount redesign and whether BD would be offering a deeper amber lens.

This was never an attack on a beloved brand, never an indictment of that corporation's approach toward performance... This was simply a couple pre-sale questions, directed at a reseller by a prospective customer; yet somewhere along the way, an absolutist perspective injected itself, and a somewhat pretentious defense was launched in favor of those who exalt performance above all else... How one, being so universally superior to the other, that one's head shakes just thinking about the ridiculousness of it...

Why?

What does it matter where on the spectrum of needs one may fall? For me It's about finding a solution that satisfies my specific product calculus - just as you would have yours. Unless, of course, your choices are dictated by such a strict standard of utilitarianism that everything but the bottom line is rendered irrelevant.

Again, my world is less absolute. I'm just looking for the best mix that I can find.

Last edited:
See there’s that

There it is again...

I can't speak for everyone, but in the world I inhabit, choice is rarely one of absolutes, of pure aesthetics versus absolute performance. I've never encountered such a stark decision that choosing one meant the total exclusion of the other. See, my 7.3L is not producing 1500hp, and I'm not participating in any high speed off-road races, so equipping pinnacle components which provide a few single digit percentage points of advantage isn't really something I worry too much about. How about you?

If you skip back a few posts, you'll see this particular 'discussion' began because I posted a couple concerns - directed toward Nick regarding the nature of the mount redesign and whether BD would be offering a deeper amber lens.

This was never an attack on a beloved brand, never an indictment of that corporation's approach toward performance... This was simply a couple pre-sale questions, directed at a reseller by a prospective customer; yet somewhere along the way, an absolutist perspective injected itself, and a somewhat pretentious defense was launched in favor of those who exalt performance above all else... How one, being so universally superior to the other, that one's head shakes just thinking about the ridiculousness of it...

Why?

What does it matter where on the spectrum of needs one may fall? For me It's about finding a solution that satisfies my specific product calculus - just as you would have yours. Unless, of course, your choices are dictated by such a strict standard of utilitarianism that everything but the bottom line is rendered irrelevant.

Again, my world is less absolute. I'm just looking for the best mix that I can find.

Everyone is different, sometimes it’s absolutes and other times it’s not, what your wants, needs and desires are are not what another persons are

Was driving across rural Mississippi late at night & it was darker then the insides of a coal mine & then it started raining, made a cow pissing on a flat rock look like a mild sprinkle, we needed more lights than we had, both front and rear

Have had to sit on the highway in dense fog, driving when you could not see the road & no idea who was going to come up your ass

American vehicles do not have a European style “fog light” and they should, but DOT thinks it confuses idiot American drivers & they are not smart enough to figure it out

It gets dark at night when outside cities, in Moab it was so dark out headlights were a joke, West Virginia at night makes Mississippi look well lit

I do tons of night driving and absolutely demand the best aftermarket lighting money can buy, not cuz it looks good or matches other lights, but for the ability to see where we are going and keep from getting rear ended

So yes, lights for me are an absolute, they absolutely have got to work in the worst of conditions

Now somebody that sleeps at night, does not drive at night, or just now and then and wants to look good has different wants, desires and needs

That was rather my point...

Your calculus will necessarily be different than mine, and I'm not claiming any perspective superior to the other, but I would like to gather more actionable information on the topic. Absent empirical data and the context necessary to determine the organic impact of the information it conveys... Strong words and anecdotally drawn conclusions are just arguing for argument’s sake.

As for the idiot American drivers quip... Collective standards do tend to fall when a people are legislatively forced to import 30% of their population from Third World countries in only sixty-five years. Don't worry, Europe is not far behind and given recent trends, Israel may be soon after.

Then everyone gets to join in the fun of lowered expectations!

Last edited:

Yeah I keep all this random emperical data in my back pocket just in case I run into an internet disagreement that requires it.

If you'd bothered to look into this at all instead of just trying to appear educated on the subject you'd have learned that BD's lights all have swappable lenses.

Back