ATI Gas Transfer Tank Installed

thevol

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
7.3 XLT Tremor
I had posted this in another thread but wanted to put it in its own place so its not buried elsewhere. Having a 7.3 gas motor with a 34 gal tank while towing can make your range less than ideal.

I installed a 42 gal gasoline transfer tank with 8 gpm GPI pump in the bed of the truck. I opted for this over waiting for the larger replacement tank for a few reasons. Mostly so I can refuel other gas equipment and remove it when not needed. It doesnt take up much room in the bed and will fit below my vinyl bed cover. This tank and pump can also be used for diesel if desired as I do have a diesel tractor. Plus, I can remove and sell or swap in a new truck if I want. Having 70+ gallons of gas onboard should let me travel wherever I need to go at 8-9 mpg until I unhook the camper, then I can refuel without worrying about tiny gas stations and a 32ft camper behind me. There is also a shtf advantage in the event of a fuel shortage, which oddly enough a huge fuel pipeline is down due to a cyber attack right now, went ahead and topped off both tanks last night :)

Tank:

https://leonardaccessories.com/prod...nks-square-and-rectangle-by-ati?sku=ATI-TTR42

Pump:

https://greatplainsindustries.com/products/12v-8-gpm-fuel-transfer-pump

I wired it to an upfitter so that the pump is only powered as needed, its actually pretty quiet compared to some of the bigger pumps out there. I decided to strap it in for now, may do something more substantial later, but this works and I do have a ground strap bonding it to the bed. I also added a filter to keep the fuel clean. I researched this setup for awhile to make sure everything is DOT legal and will fit in the truck like I wanted. I have around $850 in this setup. Here is the finished install:

1620659522509.png

Last edited:
Very nice setup that was much less expensive than I thought it would be before I looked at the tank suppliers site.

What made you go with that size tank? Was it purely size so that it would fit?

How did you mount it?

Very nice setup that was much less expensive than I thought it would be before I looked at the tank suppliers site.

What made you go with that size tank? Was it purely size so that it would fit?

How did you mount it?

I wanted it hidden below the cover, it looks better and "out of site, out of mind" for prying eyes. For my purposes 42 gal is plenty, if not a touch large. I did notice when filling it up its hard to get the last 5 gal in there without the auto shutoff on the gas station pump. This may be intentional by the tank manufacturer to prevent overfilling. ATI will also custom make a tank for you if you want a cutout for the pump, that way you can use more of the vertical space. I will likely just use the space on top of the tank to store containers and such so its not wasted. Right now its mounted with a strap and bonded to the bed with a cable.

I swear every time I turn around this forum costs me more $$$$$.

This set up works perfectly for my uses. I am copying.... order made.

OP, can you go into detail how you plumbed the filter? Thanks!

I swear every time I turn around this forum costs me more $$$$$.

This set up works perfectly for my uses. I am copying.... order made.

OP, can you go into detail how you plumbed the filter? Thanks!

Its a goldenrod 3/4" filter housing. I just added a 3/4" street elbow and 2.5" long 3/4 nipple, easy peasy.

A friendly tip, DO NOT dry fit the pump on the tank without antisieze. I put mine on by hand to test fit for clearance and it siezed the threads. Got it fixed but was a PITA.

I had posted this in another thread but wanted to put it in its own place so its not buried elsewhere. Having a 7.3 gas motor with a 34 gal tank while towing can make your range less than ideal.

I installed a 42 gal gasoline transfer tank with 8 gpm GPI pump in the bed of the truck. I opted for this over waiting for the larger replacement tank for a few reasons. Mostly so I can refuel other gas equipment and remove it when not needed. It doesnt take up much room in the bed and will fit below my vinyl bed cover. This tank and pump can also be used for diesel if desired as I do have a diesel tractor. Plus, I can remove and sell or swap in a new truck if I want. Having 70+ gallons of gas onboard should let me travel wherever I need to go at 8-9 mpg until I unhook the camper, then I can refuel without worrying about tiny gas stations and a 32ft camper behind me. There is also a shtf advantage in the event of a fuel shortage, which oddly enough a huge fuel pipeline is down due to a cyber attack right now, went ahead and topped off both tanks last night :)

Tank:

https://leonardaccessories.com/prod...nks-square-and-rectangle-by-ati?sku=ATI-TTR42

Pump:

https://gpi.net/product/ez-8/

I wired it to an upfitter so that the pump is only powered as needed, its actually pretty quiet compared to some of the bigger pumps out there. I decided to strap it in for now, may do something more substantial later, but this works and I do have a ground strap bonding it to the bed. I also added a filter to keep the fuel clean. I researched this setup for awhile to make sure everything is DOT legal and will fit in the truck like I wanted. I have around $850 in this setup. Here is the finished install:

View attachment 23905
When I get my truck, you want to make a road trip up to Wisconsin and install it for me too!? This is perfect! Nice job.

Tank:

Pump:

View attachment 23905
Looks great and thank you for the links! I have two questions that hopefully you can answer:
1. Do you think this setup would work in conjunction with a gooseneck?
2. I too would like this under a tonneau cover. Can you speak to the venting requirements and what you did to address it?
Thank you and congrats.

Looks great and thank you for the links! I have two questions that hopefully you can answer:
1. Do you think this setup would work in conjunction with a gooseneck?
2. I too would like this under a tonneau cover. Can you speak to the venting requirements and what you did to address it?
Thank you and congrats.

I am not sure if this size will work with a gooseneck, you will have to take some measurements and see, there are other sizes too. I have called ATI a few times are they are very helpful, they will even build a tank exactly the size and with whatever ports/fittings you want.

Venting is done through the fill cap. It is a two way cap that can vent out or in with a spring/rubber washer similar to a radiator cap. Obviously on a very hot day or large temp swing increase you will want to open up the tonneau to keep the fumes down, will need to use some common sense on that part, especially with gasoline, diesel less of an issue. You may want to add a dedicated vent and run the hose outside the tonneau if this is a more permanent install. I have this setup with a quick connect for the pump and strap so it will come out in 5 min as I dont see needing this in all the time as its just for personal use.

Yes, this size will work with gooseneck. Plenty of room between tank and ball.

If you look at the picture above, the front edge of the tank stops just before the wheel wells. The ball is centered on the wheel wells.

As far as venting, you can run vent tube through the hole in the front of the bed where you have the removable plug.

Last edited:
A word of caution. Ethanol, pump gas, has a 90 day shelf life. Because your tank is vented it will allow the tank to breath. Ethanol is hydrophilic, meaning it adsorbs water. As the air comes into the tank it also brings in water vapor where it condenses and combines with the ethanol. So you will have to cycle the gas through your transfer tank on a regular basis to keep it fresh.
If you can get real gasoline you are better off filling the tank with it. I am near a lake so lots of the stations have gas for boats that is 90 octane non-ethanol gas. It lasts a good long time in the tank. This is also the gas you want to use in seasonal equipment. Lawn mower, snow blower, roto-tiller.

Tremor = short bed. Add the fuel tank, and now you’ve got one of those 5.5’ f150 beds that are all but useless. I couldn’t do it, but I would appreciate that additional range.

A word of caution. Ethanol, pump gas, has a 90 day shelf life. Because your tank is vented it will allow the tank to breath. Ethanol is hydrophilic, meaning it adsorbs water. As the air comes into the tank it also brings in water vapor where it condenses and combines with the ethanol. So you will have to cycle the gas through your transfer tank on a regular basis to keep it fresh.
If you can get real gasoline you are better off filling the tank with it. I am near a lake so lots of the stations have gas for boats that is 90 octane non-ethanol gas. It lasts a good long time in the tank. This is also the gas you want to use in seasonal equipment. Lawn mower, snow blower, roto-tiller.

Thats a good point, but the fuel wont be in there long for my purposes and the system is sealed by the cap until a pressure or vacuum change in the tank, think it is 1 psi vacuum and 3 psi pressure. I'm well aware of the issues with ethanol in gas, been a headache for years now with my boats and small equip.

Also ULSD has a pretty limited shelf life too so no matter what you put in the tank its best to not let it sit long...

Tremor = short bed. Add the fuel tank, and now you’ve got one of those 5.5’ f150 beds that are all but useless. I couldn’t do it, but I would appreciate that additional range.

Yep and one of the issues with the short bed is that you dont get the 48 gallon tank like the long bed, a trade off for maneuverability. Like I mentioned though this is removeable in 5min if I need the full bed for something. Think there is a replacement tank coming soon so that may be a better option for you.

Last edited:
When I am towing the 5th wheel, coincidentally the time when that tank is most needed, that space ahead of the 5th wheel hitch is largely unused. Now I have something most useful to use that space for. So the argument about the short bed is moot anyway.
Besides, as mentioned, I can always take it out in 5 minutes. Just as I am already removing the hitch. So not a big deal to me.

Nice set up!

originally I was looking for a below cover setup similar to this with the 6.7 . Instead I went with a 24” high 90 gallon / Deezee toolbox combo that should Be here soon. Ill post install pictures when done.

Did you wire it up through to an up fitter switch? Curious on how that is done if anyone has any knowledge on that matter.

Nice set up!

originally I was looking for a below cover setup similar to this with the 6.7 . Instead I went with a 24” high 90 gallon / Deezee toolbox combo that should Be here soon. Ill post install pictures when done.

Did you wire it up through to an up fitter switch? Curious on how that is done if anyone has any knowledge on that matter.

I did wire it to an upfitter. You just run the wire to the passenger side of the engine bay and splice into the wire you need for the switch you want to use. My pump only needed a 20A fuse so you can use switch 1-4 that are 20A fused.

Tank:

Pump:

Two questions. What parts do you need for the filter and what kind of electrical fitting did you put between the pump and upfitter switch?

Back