Any Regrets w/7.3

7.3 has been dyno closer to 450hp 500tq. It’s a beast! You’ll love yours.
Where’d you see that? TFL wasn’t even close to those numbers, unless you mean crank? The 6.7 almost made the rated HP at the wheel.

356.3 whp, 360.5 whp, 358.0 whp => average 358.3 whp

409.0 lb-ft, 406.6 lb-ft, 406.3 lb-ft => average 407.3 lb-ft of torque.

474.0 whp, 469.2 whp, 465.8 whp => average 469.6 whp

980.5 lb-ft, 971.9 lb-ft, 966.5 lb-ft => average 972.9 lb-ft of torque.

Where’d you see that? TFL wasn’t even close to those numbers, unless you mean crank? The 6.7 almost made the rated HP at the wheel.

Maybe he’s running 91 octane and K&N air filter ?

Where did I state wheel horsepower? Ive seen two or three dyno close to or above 360hp and 400tq at the wheels. With a 20% drivetrain loss this would equate to 450hp and 500tq respectively crank.

Where did I state wheel horsepower? Ive seen two or three dyno close to or above 360hp and 400tq at the wheels. With a 20% drivetrain loss this would equate to 450hp and 500tq respectively crank.
Generally when talking dynos people talk wheel. That’s why I asked.

Here's a different angle on the discussion related to reliability over the long haul. We all know the diesel outside of warranty is a risky roll of the dice, especially if you are doing a lot of short distance driving and daily driving around town. One emission system component or anything else for that matter that requires major engine repair will run in the thousands of dollars, like starting at $5K and up from there. So check this out. If say you needed to do a major repair on the 7.3, if you are going to be north of $5K, you can buy a new crate 7.3 from Ford Performance for all of $7000 plus tax and shipping. Just sayin'. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73

PS - that engine you swap out would probably have considerable value to offset the cost of the new crate engine you replace it with.

Last edited:
This is something all potential 6.7 buyers should consider. Everyone wants the torque, but nobody wants the hassle of pulling the cab off to fix it, or being turned down for warrantee repairs on a very expensive part.

The 7.3 is a good choice because it is so easy to work on and much cheaper to fix. Many more would buy the 6.7 if it wasn't for the risk involved. There is much more to the decision than simply comparing torque numbers. Be careful, and be aware of the risk with the 6.7. Much more complicated. Much more expensive to fix. Much more expensive to buy. May get turned down for warrantee repairs. Requires more maintenance costs. The cab must come off for many otherwise simple repairs. The cab R&R takes about 12 hours at shop rates, and likely will not be possible anywhere other than a Ford dealer.

I'm a diehard diesel guy, but given Ford's history with diesels and their designed in difficulty fixing them, and now the possibility that they will not honor the warrantee on an expensive part, forget it. 7.3 for me.

You are only kidding yourself if you believe the 6.7 is going to run for 500,000 miles. Maybe after babying it the whole time, in stock form, and after two or three sets of injectors, four DPFs, and three EGR coolers. And never missing any maintenance. Not everyone can delete and get away with it. And tuning it means all bets are off. It's easy to dream up what we want it to do, but reality can be much different.
I agree. I originally wanted, not needed, a 6.7, so I spoke with our fleet manager here at work.

We had 13 - 6.7's in service when I spoke with him. These consisted of 350's for our VP's (only were hooked up to a trailer maybe twice a year for company hunts), and 550's (never left the yard without a 40' gooseneck trailer). 2 were in the shop with the cab off for repair, and he said they rarely had all of them on the road at the same time. Almost exclusively exhaust or fuel system-related issues.

That was enough for me to go with the 7.3. Besides the mileage while towing, I love it.

Take today's computerize components out of today's vehicles, and they would all last a life time.
Exactly, as my 7.3 has been in the shop waiting for a new power distribution box. It’s not so much the engines themselves but all the electrical components that come with them, gas or diesel.

Exactly, as my 7.3 has been in the shop waiting for a new power distribution box. It’s not so much the engines themselves but all the electrical components that come with them, gas or diesel.
On the other hand, those electronics is what gives you 15 mpg.
I had a 70 SS454 Chevelle. 8-9 mpg at best.
On edit: for a similar HP rating.

Last edited:
Absolutely, and it was always hell trying to start a car in the sixties and seventies when the outside temps went negative. BTW those cars and trucks had their share of warranty issues as well and the warranties were only 12mo/12K miles. I'll take the modern electronics every day of the week. The emission systems are something totally different. Total waste of money, totally government mandated junk that actually causes a bigger pollution problem in the long run and totally a smoke and mirrors game by the auto makers to try and play the emissions game. The development of the diesel emission systems are where the gas emission systems were in the eighties. The trickery the auto companies are using today to meet the mandates are extremely fragile and are very detrimental to other systems in the engines.

My 15 mpg, hmmm I wonder what component I’m missing since I’m usually 12.5 mpg ?

Seriously though I agree the advances in technology have allowed the trucks to do some pretty amazing things but have also made them much more complex. I am not saying I dislike them and want to go back the the cars of the 60s. I am just saying whether you have a gas or diesel, both have many electrical components that most times it’s not the engine itself but one of these electrical components that fail. I am not worried about the engine itself but more so all the electronics that come with it lasting long term. It’s just the way it is now and I’m not complaining just saying how I see it that’s all.

About 1500 miles on mine, no regrets so far! I had a 2013 F250 with the 6.7 diesel and I loved it. But made a deliberate choice to go gas this time, knowing I had limited tow requirements and more short distance daily driving. I made the right choice in the 7.3 this go around. its just nice to have two great options to meet your specific needs.

Generally when talking dynos people talk wheel. That’s why I asked.
The heavy duty trucks greater than a passenger car or F150 undergo testing with a different SAE testing methodology. It lends itself to reveal lower HP and torque readings than you might see on a passenger car or light duty truck. It’s like using a different ruler on the HD trucks and another for the light duty products.

Hello 7.3 owners. I’ve been on the hunt for trucks, no dice.

I possibly found a 7.3 but dismissed it right away as I had a diesel burned into my brain. I’ve read a lot about the topic now... gas vs. diesel pros and cons.

Let me tell you... I’ve been reading, watching videos (TFL and More), and began to really sell my self on the 7.3. Saving 800 lbs over the front end would make it WAY better in the dirt with a Carlis Kit. Off-roading is something we do around here.

I can certainly walk out the door with a 7.3 for less, maybe find one. But also... I’m liking the idea of simplicity, big cubes, serves my purpose (up to a point).

MPG is a concern, ONLY because the fuel tanks’s size. My wife has a 2020 Expedition and we have to fuel up ALL the time when towing. Almost scary.

Current trailer loaded is probably around 8K. But the purpose of this truck is to maybe step up to a 5th wheel when the time is right. I’d want to keep the trailer smaller but we’re still talking 10K dry (that’s a very favorable scenario).

Here’s and example... we live in SoCal and I’d live to be able to tow out to Texas to see family. I’m not sure the 7.3 is the rig to do this?

If it wasn’t for the range... I think I sold myself on the benefits of the 7.3. Remember... I said I live in a communist state so can’t really get a bigger fuel tank here.

I’d be leaving my 2019 Raptor but to be honest... having a simple pushrod V8 and V8 noise would probably bring a new level of joy to me.

Just concerned about the fuel. I carry an extra 10 gallons in my truck now but to be honest if I had to use that I’m already pulling off the highway to a gas station.

Any real world feedback on range towing? Also... Our current travel trailer is only 24’ and I love it, but it does suck that we can’t move up. I’d hate to drop 70K and then be upset if we got a smoking deal on a 5er and had to pass it up.

Sincerest thanks!
Comes down to the same question I’m sure a lot of us have asked ourselves. What’s more important to you as the buyer, off roaring or towing? I can almost assure you it won’t be much fun towing a 5th wheel from So Cal to Texas in a 7.3!

Comes down to the same question I’m sure a lot of us have asked ourselves. What’s more important to you as the buyer, off roaring or towing? I can almost assure you it won’t be much fun towing a 5th wheel from So Cal to Texas in a 7.3!
Can't help being a little snarky on this one. Apparently a 6.7 owner so the comment is irrelevant anyway. I think that's an interesting take considering everything available in a pickup truck prior to 2000 had less torque and horsepower than a new 7.3, and people have been towing big trailers since the 70's. How on earth did we cope. :unsure:

Can't help being a little snarky on this one. Apparently a 6.7 owner so the comment is irrelevant anyway. I think that's an interesting take considering everything available in a pickup truck prior to 2000 had less torque and horsepower than a new 7.3, and people have been towing big trailers since the 70's. How on earth did we cope. :unsure:
You can take that a step further too. Any PSD prior to 2011 has less torque output than a 7.3 (in any rear end gear). Two words. Mechanical Advantage. 10 speed transmission is an absolute game changer for big gas towing engines.

Read all about it:

You can take that a step further too. Any PSD prior to 2011 has less torque output than a 7.3 with 4.30 gears. Two words. Mechanical Advantage.

Read all about it:

All I know is we had large livestock trailers at the Vet clinic / horse farm I grew up on and we pulled six horses in a goose neck trailer with a sleeper in the front all over the country without an issue, and those trucks had stock Ford 390's and 460's in them with 410 gears. Hmmmm. Very pleased with my 7.3 choice.

All I know is we had large livestock trailers at the Vet clinic / horse farm I grew up on and we pulled six horses in a goose neck trailer with a sleeper in the front all over the country without an issue, and those trucks had stock Ford 390's and 460's in them with 410 gears. Hmmmm. Very pleased with my 7.3 choice.
We’d load 8-10 cows in our bumper pull trailer and pull it with an ‘88 F250 and a 351 and the ball screwed into the hole on the bumper. No trailer brakes either.

Back