Am I the only one that can't find a decent salesman?

pkrexer

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 6.7L Tremor
I must have the worst luck with dealerships or something, but I've been having a hell of a time keeping a line of communication open.

Through the process of reaching out to half a dozen of them and getting offers, they all seem to lose interest. At first they jump all over me when I reach out, then it's like pulling teeth to have someone email me back regarding simple questions. Maybe it's because I'm direct and make price the priority? It's not like I'm being a dick about it though and I keep it all professional.

I'm literally about to sign papers to buy a truck and then all I get is radio silence.

I don't get it.

I must have the worst luck with dealerships or something, but I've been having a hell of a time keeping a line of communication open.

Through the process of reaching out to half a dozen of them and getting offers, they all seem to lose interest. At first they jump all over me when I reach out, then it's like pulling teeth to have someone email me back regarding simple questions. Maybe it's because I'm direct and make price the priority? It's not like I'm being a dick about it though and I keep it all professional.

I'm literally about to sign papers to buy a truck and then all I get is radio silence.

I don't get it.
Have you tried Granger? They are very easy to work with and respond (and actually answer questions).

Not that I agree with the practice but people need to realize that when demand is so high, customer service is not needed any longer. This is definitely a short sighted way to look at things but imagine you have people calling non-stop for a particular item and then they get the guy on the phone asking a bunch of questions.... Truth is, they don't need your business because they have more than they can handle already.

I work for a very large home builder and people come into our models thinking they are doing us a huge favor by buying a home but they don't realize we have waiting lists a mile long in every community with people asking zero questions and just signing on the dotted line at full price...

Again, I do not agree with the practice but it has become a common way of doing business.

I don't think sales people actually make deals any more. Seriously, i think they aren't allowed. They are just there to pass info to the sales manager.

Agreed. Really don't feel like they have much play with what they can and can't do without approval. I floated the idea of X-Plan to my salesman (my family and I have worked with him for a few years now) and he always gets back to me with "Talked to Bob and this is what we can do."

Bob being the sales manager.

Not sure what kind of communication you are expecting.

Literally my ONLY communication with my dealer was: "Do you accept X-Plan?" They said "yes" and I ordered the truck 9/28. It has shipped and ETA to dealer is last week of this month.

I did all of my own research on this forums to find out which options I wanted, built it on the Ford website and that was it. The easier you make things the more people will want to work with you. I have learned that the more questions you have the more of a pain in the ass you are perceived to be. I wish customer service was like it was 20 years ago but that ship has sailed....

Not that I agree with the practice but people need to realize that when demand is so high, customer service is not needed any longer.

Truth is, they don't need your business because they have more than they can handle already.

Bingo. My friend who is also the service manager at my local dealer pretty much told me this straight up. They have little to inventory and they have no clue when they will be getting cars or trucks in. What is super interesting is that this dealer in specific seems to move a lot of product off of trade ins. Seeing a ton of Jeep Wranglers and GMC 1500s sitting out front for sale... not so many Ford Trucks. They don't even have any brand new 2022 F-150s on the lot.

If your first question is "how cheap can i get this?" or "what is your best price?" they probably wont take you seriously, especially right now with such high demand and extremely low supply. If they are ignoring you its probably because they have a line up out the door of other people willing to pay MSRP+. They arent looking to win peoples business right now because they cant even get vehicles in for the business they already have.

It took me a long time to realize that unfortunately just because it is a $60k - $80k purchase the dealer doesn't care. It may be a large purchase to the individual buyer but it is 1 of 100 - 300 units per month for a decent size dealer.

I have been in the market for an exotic car ($200k - $250k used) and dealers basically respond to me with "So do you want it or not?" We are in a sellers market across all price points.

God forbid you want a high end offshore fishing boat: Yellowfin, Freeman, Invincible.... 18-24 month waiting lists and used boats selling for over MSRP. We are talking center console boats in the $500k to $1M range.

New 2022 Porsche GT3 was just released and dealers are charging at minimum $100k over on a $200k sticker.

The average American is willing to carry debt loads like we have never seen in history....

Not sure what kind of communication you are expecting.

Literally my ONLY communication with my dealer was: "Do you accept X-Plan?" They said "yes" and I ordered the truck 9/28. It has shipped and ETA to dealer is last week of this month.

I did all of my own research on this forums to find out which options I wanted, built it on the Ford website and that was it. The easier you make things the more people will want to work with you. I have learned that the more questions you have the more of a pain in the ass you are perceived to be. I wish customer service was like it was 20 years ago but that ship has sailed....
Any email response? Possibly a phone call?

I've done all of my research as well and know exactly what I want using X-plan pricing. I would expect anyone on these forums to be pretty well informed.. eh?

Example:
"Hey, I see ford increased their prices.. will I be locked in if I order now" -No response.

Even if I know the answer is probably yes, I would like confirmation.

I don't know, maybe I have old way of thinking or am expecting to much?

Any email response? Possibly a phone call?

I've done all of my research as well and know exactly what I want using X-plan pricing. I would expect anyone on these forums to be pretty well informed.. eh?

Example:
"Hey, I see ford increased their prices.. will I be locked in if I order now" -No response.

Even if I know the answer is probably yes, I would like confirmation.

I don't know, maybe I have old way of thinking or am expecting to much?
I agree 100% with you but over the years I have had to change my approach to things. Ford raising the price $1,300 across the board would bother you and I but to 99% of the buyers who will never be on any of these forums they would #1 never realize there was a price increase and #2 even if they knew wouldn't even care because it would represent a $10 increase in their payment. Your example questions above are very reasonable but in todays feeding frenzy of consumption all of a sudden they make you appear like a wishy washy buyer. These dealers have to many people who ask zero questions buying units from them in this market to even entertain answering emails all day. It's unfortunate but the consumer created this problem.

Nope...after my experience I wouldn't buy a dog house from the dealership that sold me my truck...Haven't been back since they scratched my bumper installing the winch...I drive by it to another dealership to service my truck.

Like anything else in life...good ones and shitty ones...Unfortunately i don't buy enough new vechiles to know the difference.

It took me a long time to realize that unfortunately just because it is a $60k - $80k purchase the dealer doesn't care. It may be a large purchase to the individual buyer but it is 1 of 100 - 300 units per month for a decent size dealer.

I have been in the market for an exotic car ($200k - $250k used) and dealers basically respond to me with "So do you want it or not?" We are in a sellers market across all price points.

God forbid you want a high end offshore fishing boat: Yellowfin, Freeman, Invincible.... 18-24 month waiting lists and used boats selling for over MSRP. We are talking center console boats in the $500k to $1M range.

New 2022 Porsche GT3 was just released and dealers are charging at minimum $100k over on a $200k sticker.

The average American is willing to carry debt loads like we have never seen in history....
Yes, you are right, and sadly they become a slave to debt and never retire a d enjoy financial freedom because of the constant wanties. I choose freedom.

I must have the worst luck with dealerships or something, but I've been having a hell of a time keeping a line of communication open

@pkrexer I realize it is a bit late for your truck, but for future reference I had a really good experience with Bill Brown in Livonia. They were not the closest to me, but a salesperson I used long ago had moved there so I gave it a shot. I conversed via email and phone and never had an issue with response to any of my questions. The transaction was completely BS free with no hard sales push for any dealer add-ons, etc. It is a bit of a drive for you if you would need a dealer again, but not totally out of the question.

I built my truck online, exactly how I wanted it. I took that build sheet and my x-plan info to the dealership and ordered it. It was extremely easy because I was prepared. Once it was ordered I only made one change (removed bed liner, and changed tonneau cover), and then I waited. For around 3 months.
There was no proactive communication from my dealer during the waiting process and I only called once for clarification on my status. I can say that, at all points in the process, I felt more informed than my dealership. I always knew as much as they did, and often knew more. Don’t expect too much from a salesman.

Back