Aftermarket subwoofer box - seat move?

FORDFIRSTIMER

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
20 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
18 Camaro SS 1LE
Looking to do a big overhaul on the factory B&O garbage in my 2020 Tremor. I've gotten two quotes from local shops, and I've decided on Focal speakers and JL Audio for the sub and amps and of course the ZEN processor.

My issue is what box? I really don't want to lose the under-seat space. I usually roll with the seat up and use the floor for storage or a large dog bed for a very spoiled Boxer. I'm considering going with a JL 13" TW5 and this enclosure from supercrewsound.com.

https://www.supercrewsound.com/17F250CCBTSTW5war.html

In the description it says -
  • SEATS WILL NOT FOLD BACK UP AFTER BOX IS INSTALLED UNLESS SEATS ARE MOVED FORWARD BY 1/2”

How hard is it to move the seats up 1/2"? Has anyone done this? I cannot get ahold of anyone at supercrewsound....

One kit moves them forward, one kit lifts them up.

I was thinking about cutting the under seat storage in the middle and extending the box forward to get the right volume for one woofer and point it down firing. This way you can still have storage on both sides of the box and the seats set on top of the box.

I did basically the exact same thing. JL VXi 600 with Focal 165 KX2s. I originally went with the behind the seat box for the 10TW3 sub, and it sounded awesome. But, I got sick of not being able to leave the seat up. I eventually went with the 1/2 under seat enclosure from MTI and haven’t looked back. It sounds great and I’m ok with giving up some room.

PS The only change I’d make in retrospect is to not spend the money upgrading the rear speakers. They don’t make a significant difference to the front soundstage.

I have the MTI Acoustics single sub behind my seat - works great. Amps were installed behind the seat on the opposite side. I refused to give up my underseat storage. Seat didn’t have to be moved forward or up at all

Here’s a link to teh sub boxes:

I did basically the exact same thing. JL VXi 600 with Focal 165 KX2s. I originally went with the behind the seat box for the 10TW3 sub, and it sounded awesome. But, I got sick of not being able to leave the seat up. I eventually went with the 1/2 under seat enclosure from MTI and haven’t looked back. It sounds great and I’m ok with giving up some room.

PS The only change I’d make in retrospect is to not spend the money upgrading the rear speakers. They don’t make a significant difference to the front soundstage.
Why couldn’t you leave the seat up with the behind the seat box?

I have the MTI Acoustics single sub behind my seat - works great. Amps were installed behind the seat on the opposite side. I refused to give up my underseat storage. Seat didn’t have to be moved forward or up at all

Here’s a link to teh sub boxes:

what size and model sub did you go with and happy with it?

what size and model sub did you go with and happy with it?
10” - Rockford Fosgate T1S1-10. I had an installer do everything. I’m very happy with the sub and the system

Thanks @Vecman for the recommendation on MTI. Just had a great conversation with them and ordered an enclosure and amp rack. I'll post some pictures when I get everything installed.

Going with this box w a JL 13.5 and the amp rack that sits on the shelf, 1/2 under the seat. They said that for the 13.5 JL; the seat does not need to be moved forward or up, due to the short throw of that sub. I'm sure it won't hit as well as a pair of good 12's but this as much cubic volume as the box has, it should still produce some decent bass.

1672767933579.jpeg
1672767958535.jpeg

I had the 13.5 behind the seat in my 2015 F250 Platinum. I used an 800W amp to run it. It will bump plenty for your needs. :)

Be careful about running that sub with the seat up. The JL TW’s have a LOT of excursion and the cone will slam into the seat back / metal seat springs when it’s up and you’re playing loud. When the seat is up, the back shifts rearward a few inches.

I found that out and it wasn’t pleasant.

Be careful about running that sub with the seat up. The JL TW’s have a LOT of excursion and the cone will slam into the seat back / metal seat springs when it’s up and you’re playing loud. When the seat is up, the back shifts rearward a few inches.

I found that out and it wasn’t pleasant.
What enclosure were you running?

It was one built by a local shop with a CNC machine. They built it basically identically to the MTI behind the seat box (which has the same warning). I noticed the sub didn’t touch when the seat was up and figured it would be fine. It was not.

It was one built by a local shop with a CNC machine. They built it basically identically to the MTI behind the seat box (which has the same warning). I noticed the sub didn’t touch when the seat was up and figured it would be fine. It was not.
Thanks for the info, looks like I’ll be moving the seats forward then.

I'm running the MTI behind the seat enclosure with dual 10" subs for the same reason because I didn't to lose the storage space. I've had no issues driving with the seat in the upright position.

I'm running the MTI behind the seat enclosure with dual 10" subs for the same reason because I didn't to lose the storage space. I've had no issues driving with the seat in the upright position.
Where did you mount your amp? Mind showing any pics?

Back