6.7 Towing & exhaust gas temps

Ford_Fan

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor
I just got my Tremor in November and finally had a chance to do some extended towing with her over the last week. We have a 15K pound 5th wheel trailer. The Tremor is a 6.7 F350 with the 3.55 rear. She pulled the trailer perfectly - no issues going up or down steep grades. Plenty of power and even auto use of the exhaust brake was great - very easy towing.

The question I have is when going up extended steep grades what is the usual temps to see - exhaust temps mostly. The engine coolant and oil barely got up. I think the highest I saw the oil was 235F, coolant at like 215F. However, the exhaust temps got to almost 1100F but then decreased rapidly once on flat or descending ground. Is this normal?

20201226_152342.jpg

Screenshot_20210101-155101.jpg

I just got my Tremor in November and finally had a chance to do some extended towing with her over the last week. We have a 15K pound 5th wheel trailer. The Tremor is a 6.7 F350 with the 3.55 rear. She pulled the trailer perfectly - no issues going up or down steep grades. Plenty of power and even auto use of the exhaust brake was great - very easy towing.

The question I have is when going up extended steep grades what is the usual temps to see - exhaust temps mostly. The engine coolant and oil barely got up. I think the highest I saw the oil was 235F, coolant at like 215F. However, the exhaust temps got to almost 1100F but then decreased rapidly once on flat or descending ground. Is this normal?

View attachment 13141

View attachment 13142

I have heard of exhaust temps reaching as high as 1400, 1100 wouldn’t scare me for a short duration.

Your Ford Superduty (6.7L) has 4 EGT sensors in the exhaust.

Normal driving you are right, will be around 500° Towing I often see temps up in the 800° range.

When Active Regen takes place I will see exhaust temps ( especially on the #4 sensor) in the 1100-1200° range.

On some steep grades with a 13,000 lbs trailer in tow I can see 1000°

Realize that none of these sensors are Pre-Turbo. They are all located at your CAT, Pre and Post DPF and Post SCR

On a side not, Passive Regen take place any time your exhaust exceeds 572°F temps

Your Ford Superduty (6.7L) has 4 EGT sensors in the exhaust.

Normal driving you are right, will be around 500° Towing I often see temps up in the 800° range.

When Active Regen takes place I will see exhaust temps ( especially on the #4 sensor) in the 1100-1200° range.

On some steep grades with a 13,000 lbs trailer in tow I can see 1000°

Realize that none of these sensors are Pre-Turbo. They are all located at your CAT, Pre and Post DPF and Post SCR

On a side not, Passive Regen take place any time your exhaust exceeds 572°F temps
Yep - I saw 4 different exhaust temp sensors to choose from in the OBD app. I just picked the first one as a sample. Good to know on the passive regen - I noticed the particulate filter was at 0% basically the whole trip. Now I know why.

Side note - this thing consumes DEF like crazy while towing. I estimate she used at least 5 gallons over the 1200 miles of towing. Wow.

I know much hotter than the rest glad I don't have that gauge to make me worriy

Great looking set up you have there. Thats a bad ass 5th wheel and looks like it is set up nice with the Truck.

Yep - I saw 4 different exhaust temp sensors to choose from in the OBD app. I just picked the first one as a sample. Good to know on the passive regen - I noticed the particulate filter was at 0% basically the whole trip. Now I know why.

Side note - this thing consumes DEF like crazy while towing. I estimate she used at least 5 gallons over the 1200 miles of towing. Wow.
yea i used the full tank of def in 500 miles of driving in the mountain so i am guessing hot temperatures and doing a regen at the same time but right now empty truck the def is almost never used

I know much hotter than the rest glad I don't have that gauge to make me worriy

Great looking set up you have there. Thats a bad ass 5th wheel and looks like it is set up nice with the Truck.
LOL, all the gauges in the truck hardly crept up (coolant and tranny). I had to scroll to the screen to see oil temps. I just viewed exhaust temps to see about cooling her down before shutting her off and then got interested to see what it was during climbs. Overall - extremely impressive towing experience. The transmission shifts, engine power and logic for tow/haul modes is spot on.

And thanks for the compliment! Both of these new "toys" are awesome. Should provide many years of fun!

yea i used the full tank of def in 500 miles of driving in the mountain so i am guessing hot temperatures and doing a regen at the same time but right now empty truck the def is almost never used
Agree - with the truck empty it seems like the def gauge barely moves. I'll just keep 2 or 3 jugs of it in the bed while traveling with the fiver.

Agree - with the truck empty it seems like the def gauge barely moves. I'll just keep 2 or 3 jugs of it in the bed while traveling with the fiver.
yea thats fine ... i will just go to the truck stations as it is cheaper then the box

yea thats fine ... i will just go to the truck stations as it is cheaper then the box
I couldn't find any truck stops that had it and the one that did it wasn't functioning. So I'll just keep the boxes as backup. :)

I couldn't find any truck stops that had it and the one that did it wasn't functioning. So I'll just keep the boxes as backup. :)
yea i understand that just in case ... don't want to be stuck without

Back