397 amp alternator. Is it 2?

oakvad

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 f250 lariat ultimate tremor
Current Ride #2
05 BMW X5 4.4I
So I was nosing around under the hood looking stuff over and trying to find my stupid block heater cord and noticed I have dual alternators. My build sticker says it's the 397 amp one but theirs clearly 2 alternators in their. Is that correct?
Oh and where do they hide the block heater cord?

So I was nosing around under the hood looking stuff over and trying to find my stupid block heater cord and noticed I have dual alternators. My build sticker says it's the 397 amp one but theirs clearly 2 alternators in their. Is that correct?
Oh and where do they hide the block heater cord?
Yes it’s two. No idea on the heater cord but check down by the license plate area.

Worth noting the two alternators aren’t the same output. One is 200 240 amps the other is 157 amps. Don’t know which is which on the truck, though.

Last edited:
Took me two tries to find my engine block heater cord. It is there, but you have to get underneath the truck and look behind the bumper. I was also puzzled with the alternators because I was expecting to find one 397 amp unit when in fact it is two units. 240 amp and 157 amp. I had to take pictures of the part numbers and look them up. A bit of effort, but it forced me to get to know my truck a bit.

Back