Oil change

At what milage did you do your first oil change? Mine has 6k and it says 41%. Gonna do it this weekend.
Wow….you will get all kinds of different info. on that topic. Some guys right away, some guys 3k and so on….yea definitely go ahead get her done now as you stated. Maybe mine to synthetic.

Still waiting for my Tremor, but first oil change will probably be 1000 to 1500 miles.

Engine break in is much faster and simpler than in times of old.... Better metallurgy, tighter tolerances, etc. But you still need to seat the rings, and there's still going to be some metal shavings. Best not to go full interval on the first change.

First one at 1,000 miles after a break in procedure I go 5-7k and use Amsoil.

I did the same on my 7.3 but went with the Ford oil for the second change at 2,000 miles will switch it over to Amsoil and run 5k per change interval.

There is a lot of oil in the system so its ok to go longer intervals. This is my last truck for a while and I plan to put many miles and years on it. Oil changes are cheap ( when done yourself and with my commercial account the discount my oil price).

Amsoil EAO 98 filter 9+ quarts of 5W-40 Diesel Max Duty or Motorcraft filter FL-20515

7.3: 8 + qts of 5W-30 ford FL 820 filter.

I am not running a valve in the pan many here run a quick release valve on the pan. Your choice. There is pressure with all the hot oil and if you are not careful it can be messy.
I have had bad experiences with the oil change "monkeys" at the dealerships. So I do my own.

I plan to do first at 1000 miles, will use mobile 1 oil and motocraft filter. I was using mobile 1 filters on last truck but hear the motocraft ones are decent. After that every 5k miles. 7.3L

I changed at 2500 miles...switched to Rotella 5W40 Full Synthetic and added Archoil.....been changing oil every 5k since on my 6.7

If I drove more miles I might go as far as 7500 between oil changes....but for now I am doing every 5k.

Also, the 6.7 is supposed to hold 13.5 quarts with filter change....for me it has been between 13 and 14 quarts, and I have done 3 oil changes so far in 20 Months of ownership.

From what I've seen and heard, it seems a larger majority tend to do the first oil change anywhere from 1000 to 2000 miles. I dropped mine at 1000 miles for the first change. If your at 6k, I would be changing it.

How long do you keep vehicles? If it's only a few years, the likelihood of you experiencing an oil-related failure is low. Just stick to the monitor and you'll save yourself time and money. No dealer is going to care that you spent double on maintenance costs when it's trade-in time.

I assume you are asking about a diesel based on this being the 6.7 sub forum - on my 6.7 I did first one at 1000 miles then every 5000, Rotella T6 5w-40 and M/C filter. Again if a diesel, make sure to use an oil on Ford’s approved list while under warranty. Amsoil is not.

I have info from Amsoil that states Ford cannot deny warranty for use of Amsoil. Further there have been several lawsuits won by Amsoil product users against Ford.
Everyone must make their our choices. I am a believer in the products however I do not go with the extended use. I change regular and more intervals. I like to run the factory type oil for first change or second before switching over. I further never deviate from the recommended viscosity.

I have an engine on something else ( gas ) was recommended by the engine Manufacturer to use Pennsoil the engine failed. I use only Amsoil in it and it has lasted over 10 year out of warranty with many hard hours on it.

How long do you keep vehicles? If it's only a few years, the likelihood of you experiencing an oil-related failure is low. Just stick to the monitor and you'll save yourself time and money. No dealer is going to care that you spent double on maintenance costs when it's trade-in time.
You never know. I like to trade every 5 years or so but certain conditions can arise and you never know how long you will have it so I treat them as if I will own them forever. My dealer's sales manager knows this and he loves my trades and shows it by giving me great trade in values. That is also a reason I DON NOT PURCHASE USED CARS AND TRUCKS.

I have info from Amsoil that states Ford cannot deny warranty for use of Amsoil. Further there have been several lawsuits won by Amsoil product users against Ford.
Everyone must make their our choices. I am a believer in the products however I do not go with the extended use. I change regular and more intervals. I like to run the factory type oil for first change or second before switching over. I further never deviate from the recommended viscosity.

I have an engine on something else ( gas ) was recommended by the engine Manufacturer to use Pennsoil the engine failed. I use only Amsoil in it and it has lasted over 10 year out of warranty with many hard hours on it.
But do you have info from Ford saying they will honor their warranty if you don’t run a WSS-M2C171-F1 spec oil in the 6.7? Amsoil claims it does meet it but for some reason it’s not on “the list.” I don’t know why because there are some pretty broke dick brands on that list.

Hmm, my 2011 PSD held 13 quarts of oil, have they reduced the capacity on the later years? @PapaRaptor mentioned 9 quarts in the post above. Since my 2021 Tremor hasn't been delivered yet, I am not able to look at the manual.

Thanks!
Ah but you can! The owners manual is up online. Here’s the site to look up the owner’s manual for any Ford vehicle:

And here’s the owner’s manual specifically for the 2022 Super Duty:

If my engine blows up due to the Amsoil I will rebuild it my self. BUT THATS NOT going to happen EVER!

You can run any oil you choose, thats just my 02 cents worth

If my engine blows up due to the Amsoil I will rebuild it my self. BUT THATS NOT going to happen EVER!

You can run any oil you choose, thats just my 02 cents worth

Sure you can run any oil you want, but do not expect Ford to honor the warranty when it turns out your oil does not meet the engine oil requirements & is not certified fir use in that engine

Back