2021 6.7 Tremor - Where's the AUTO REGEN??

Jim Eagle

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Lariat Tremor
I have been trying to find where the option is to see both the DPF filter % as well as the option for manual regen. I can't find either on the screen when I toggle through the various options. I've been seeing some talk about the newer models not having this option, is this true? If so can I add a manual regen option with a FORScan? Thx fellas

DPF% and OCR can be added with Forescan. If you don’t have experience with OCR I would not enable it. The newer trucks are good about regening on their own. If you enable OCR you can only regen when it’s at 100% and must remain stationary.

DPF% and OCR can be added with Forescan. If you don’t have experience with OCR I would not enable it. The newer trucks are good about regening on their own. If you enable OCR you can only regen when it’s at 100% and must remain stationary.
i have enabled both the toggle for auto and OCR.. you can have both in Forscan

If you enable OCR you can only regen when it’s at 100% and must remain stationary.
No, not true.
Mine has started a regen in its own with as little as 75% full. Also, you don’t have to remain stationary. OCR gives you two things, the ability to see the dpf status and the ability to turn off the auto regen.
That doesn’t mean you get to manually regen though. I will leave mine in auto regen mode, then turn off auto mode once my dpf filter gets to 75-80% full. Once it reaches 100% full, I’ll go drive and allow for enough time for it to complete a full regen. I can watch the dpf percentage fall real time while it’s in a regen.
Once it’s done, I turn back on auto regen, just so I don’t get the annoying message that it’s off every time I start the truck. I simply watch the dpf percent and plan a regen drive once it reaches 100%.
Pretty easy stuff.

With 9000 miles I have left it all up to the truck. I'm usually unaware of a regen occurring and have never had a problem or a message that there could be a problem, other than that I am getting low on DEF. To be fair 95% of my miles are highway so very little city driving. That has to be a major bonus.

No, not true.
Mine has started a regen in its own with as little as 75% full. Also, you don’t have to remain stationary. OCR gives you two things, the ability to see the dpf status and the ability to turn off the auto regen.
That doesn’t mean you get to manually regen though. I will leave mine in auto regen mode, then turn off auto mode once my dpf filter gets to 75-80% full. Once it reaches 100% full, I’ll go drive and allow for enough time for it to complete a full regen. I can watch the dpf percentage fall real time while it’s in a regen.
Once it’s done, I turn back on auto regen, just so I don’t get the annoying message that it’s off every time I start the truck. I simply watch the dpf percent and plan a regen drive once it reaches 100%.
Pretty easy stuff.
Sorry I should have been clearer, when the auto regens are off, you can’t do manual regen until at 100% or higher. Many people are under the impression that you can command a regen whenever you want.

As far as your experience of driving while doing a manual/OCR regen. If you don’t go through the prompts that ask if you are in a safe area etc, then you didnt do a manual regen. While doing a manual regen if you touch the throttle or put it into gear, it will stop the regen. When OCR is enabled and the DPF reads over 100% (200% is full when OCR is enabled) and you put it in park, it will give you the prompts to do a manual/OCR regen.

On a side note, I have found the dash display can be 20-30% lower than what my OBDLink shows the normalized trigger for regen is at. It always auto regens when the OBDLink shows 100%, which can be anywhere from 65-90% on the dash but almost always every 500 miles. I haven’t figured out yet how any passive regen figures into that.

Not my video but one showing the manual regen process:

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. Appreciate all the info. I was under the impression if I enabled it, i could regen at any point. Now that i know i can only regen at 100%, i think i will just leave it at auto regen for now. Much appreciated!

Sorry I should have been clearer, when the auto regens are off, you can’t do manual regen until at 100% or higher. Many people are under the impression that you can command a regen whenever you want.

As far as your experience of driving while doing a manual/OCR regen. If you don’t go through the prompts that ask if you are in a safe area etc, then you didnt do a manual regen. While doing a manual regen if you touch the throttle or put it into gear, it will stop the regen. When OCR is enabled and the DPF reads over 100% (200% is full when OCR is enabled) and you put it in park, it will give you the prompts to do a manual/OCR regen.

On a side note, I have found the dash display can be 20-30% lower than what my OBDLink shows the normalized trigger for regen is at. It always auto regens when the OBDLink shows 100%, which can be anywhere from 65-90% on the dash but almost always every 500 miles. I haven’t figured out yet how any passive regen figures into that.

Not my video but one showing the manual regen process:

Yup, you’re right. I misunderstood but I see what you’re saying now.
I’ve never done a manual (stationary) regen.
Because the auto is weird and I can’t quite figure out when it will decide to do it’s thing, I simply turn it off until it’s 100% full, then switch it back on when all my temps are up and I know it will start the regen within minutes. I have that part figured out.

Quite honestly, I am new to the diesel truck world and don’t have much real world experience. I work in the heavy equipment industry so diesels aren’t foreign to me but these diesel trucks are. I’ve heard so much about emissions failures over the years and what many thought was one of the main reasons for a lot of them was because the regens were not allowed to finish completely over and over again.
I turned ocr on so I have the ability to make sure my regens are finishing completely.
I could be completely wrong about this and wasting my time. I really don’t know.

has anyone been able to witness via the gauge.. if you have it in auto and do mostly city driving and cannot complete a burnoff

example

DPF 100% full, drive for 10min DPF drops to say 75% or 80%, park up for the day... will it go right back into regen with the next drive or will it have to fill back up to 100% again

ie. can the truck resume a regen after a key off cycle ?

has anyone been able to witness via the gauge.. if you have it in auto and do mostly city driving and cannot complete a burnoff

example

DPF 100% full, drive for 10min DPF drops to say 75% or 80%, park up for the day... will it go right back into regen with the next drive or will it have to fill back up to 100% again

Yes, I have watched mine do that a few times.

example

I’ve only had it regen again when it’s back up to 100%.

I’ve only had it regen again when it’s back up to 100%.
this is what i thought and witnessed once, thank you

its unfortunate, it would be nice if it would regen through multiple key cycles until back to 0% full

you have watched yours resume a regen after a key cycle ?
Yes. At least twice, That I’m aware of, First time it started, it was down to about 60%, aI needed to shut it down for an appointment. When I left the appointment, it resumed on the drive home. Not sure if it matters, but I was on the interstate 65-70 mph. It continued to regen to 0%. Similar situation, the other time I noticed. It really
Performs way smoother than the 08 6.4 that I had.

Last edited:
How in forscan do you turn on so that you can see your filter percentage?
You can reference my post, I’m sure there are others also, in the Forscan 2022 thread. There are 3 changes you need to make and they are all made in plain English so very easy to do. Items 7, 8, and 9 in my post.

Latest Discussions

Back