Wrench light - not wanting to move in gear

Vicious-Peanut

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Hi everyone,

I went to hop in the truck this morning (2020 6.7) (it's been sitting over the weekend like usual) and I remote started it and when I got in and put it in reverse to back out it felt like it was just rolling - not like normal. Got out in the street and put it in drive and the gear selector said it was in '4' which was odd so I tried to manual mode it to '1' but it wouldn't take it. I shut it off and restarted and no dice - I didn't really press the throttle because it was so strange. Eventually my wife gets in and gives it some throttle and it starts moving normally and she gets it back in the driveway. She starts backing up and I just tell her to stop and I hop in to pull it back up and it takes me getting it to about 1800 rpms to pull up on it's own. Transmission hasn't given me trouble before, but this was unsettling. I saw torque converter bleed back mentioned but my driveway isnt sloped like crazy, just normal. I haven't gotten any TSBs and I tried to search on Ford's TSB site and it is giving a server error. We had the first real "cold front" last night and I'm not sure if that could have made the fluid harder to pump into the TC or what. I'm going to park it nose down tonight and see if I have the same issue. Don't want to encounter this somewhere other than my house... so I am trying to track down whatever TSB is the current one - 21-2420?

Any other insight is appreciated.

First of all, I wouldn't assume the transmission that's faulty. That could be the case, but it may be in a limp mode that's limiting which gears it can be in as a form of self preservation. Modern vehicles can go into limp mode for many reasons.

Second of all, do you have an OBD code reader or ForScan? If so, listing out the set codes would be useful in being able to diagnose.

Lastly, I want to clarify what you mean by "wrench light". What exactly are you seeing in the gauge cluster?

Thank you. I do have an OBD reader so I will see if it stored any codes when I get home.

It's the "See Manual" orange / yellow wrench light. So hopefully I will have a code to follow.

1698699060277.png

Reactions: ccw
Ok got home and started it up and drove around no issues. I did check for codes and it said “no codes” but it did find some alerts or something.

Pic attached, it had this for B, C, D and E
IMG_8794.jpeg

Thank you. I do have an OBD reader so I will see if it stored any codes when I get home.

It's the "See Manual" orange / yellow wrench light. So hopefully I will have a code to follow.

View attachment 133794
Ok got home and started it up and drove around no issues. I did check for codes and it said “no codes” but it did find some alerts or something.

Pic attached, it had this for B, C, D and E View attachment 133822
Hmm. That goes beyond my knowledge. Others may have more insights, but if you’re inside the powertrain warranty you should absolutely take your truck to the dealer. If you’re outside of warranty…it’s a bit more fuzzy.

Do not clear the codes. They may have freeze frame data with them that the mechanics can use.

Hmm. That goes beyond my knowledge. Others may have more insights, but if you’re inside the powertrain warranty you should absolutely take your truck to the dealer. If you’re outside of warranty…it’s a bit more fuzzy.

Do not clear the codes. They may have freeze frame data with them that the mechanics can use.

Agreed, I have about 200 miles left on my powertrain warranty so this may have been a blessing of sorts lol.

I’m gonna call and try and get an appt soon. If they have to order and wait on the valve body that’s fine as long as they don’t try and screw me on the miles. Since I’m taking it in covered but it won’t take long to pass it.

Agreed, I have about 200 miles left on my powertrain warranty so this may have been a blessing of sorts lol.

I’m gonna call and try and get an appt soon. If they have to order and wait on the valve body that’s fine as long as they don’t try and screw me on the miles. Since I’m taking it in covered but it won’t take long to pass it.
That absolutely is a blessing in disguise!

If there's any risk you'll go over the magic mileage number before your appointment, make sure your current mileage - when you called for the appointment - is in the notes. Preempt the warranty conversation.

I have no clue what your problem with the truck is, But if you only have appx. 200 miles left until the warranty runs out, I would not drive it until it goes in for service. If there is a chance you will go over, I am sure their attorneys will find a way to make you pay for work performed.

I agree, but I was able to get an appt tomorrow. I'll make sure they document that it is still inside the warranty and if I keep driving while they order anything that they know I'll go over and not cause me a pain.

Oh wanted to update on this. I got a call Monday saying the transmission tech looked at it and was waiting to hear from Ford with his findings for a new transmission.. They approved it which surprised me since I thought it was just the valve body but apparently not. They are going to do an overhaul on it, I wanted new new and asked about it but I was told they don't have any available, I guess they have overhaul kits but not spares transmissions lol

Anyways that's the deal and I'm glad I took it in and didn't just write it off as a onetime thing. Service writer said he was glad they didn't fight on it; said sometimes they ask for service records and whatnot when you get close to warranty being out but considering the manual says not to mess with the ATF until 100k that probably helps. But I did have the fluid changed at 50k.. maybe BG fluid isn't ideal? Definitely using Motorcraft going forward.

Back