Work Boot recommendations!

In the market for a new set of work boots, and wanted to get everyones relevant feedback on quality, comfort and durability. I'm looking for first hand experience wearing them, not what you've seen on Facebook or social media lol.

Current boots Georgia:
View attachment 45164

I was thinking of the Danner Bullrun:

View attachment 45166

View attachment 45167

I like this style boot, but just haven't ever owned a Danner boot. Bootbarn has Thorogood or Hawx but no experience with either.
I recommend Thorogood work boots. Every bit of it is made right here in the good ol US of A. They’re comfortable as a work boot can be. They also last a very long time. And come in a bunch of different styles. I like the slip on’s. You can also get them re-souled. My 2¢. I’ve included a link to the type that I get. In the past 20 years I’ve only had to buy 2 pairs, because as I said you can re-soul them. Cheers.

Gotta look for the American flag on them
That’s not necessarily true. They put the American flag on them if they’re made in the USA. Not necessarily made with American sourced materials. The Quarry is an example. It’s a Danner boot that’s made in the USA, but not with America sourced material, and therefore the quality is not as good, and it cannot be re crafted, although they’re offered at a lower price.

For me, it has to be unlined, uninsulated, and NOT waterproof for working in a factory so my feet don't sweat. The waterproof and "breathable" liners are a joke (Gore-Tex is no better than the rest) and really tear my feet up.

Chippewa was my go to for years, but they got bought out a few years ago and are now not making boots anymore (?????)

On a friend's recommendation, I bought some Red Wing Supersole 8" boots at a local store and I have to say, these are level up. The sole is incredibly comfortable and doesn't make my heels hurt. The leather is great quality. Expensive, but no regrets yet. My friend who recommended them said they have lasted 3X as long as any other boot he's had. Made in USA. https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/?q=supersole

I've also had great luck with Double H boots. I've only had the Made in USA steel toes. https://www.doublehboots.com/

Red Wing hands down, I use their boot oil and have had these for 10 years now, good as new.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’ve had two pair of danner bull run, when I needed steel toe.

Switched to redwing truewelt hiker. Unfortunately they’re discontinued.

Working on breaking in a pair of redwing heritage classic Mocs now.

These are the discontinued redwings. If they still made them this would be hands down my recommendation

Last edited:
It's hard to recommend without knowing the use case. I'm in the construction industry and have had these boots for 14 years. Like @NOXCUSE I keep them clean and oiled that they last.

1643387952460.png

It's hard to recommend without knowing the use case. I'm in the construction industry and have had these boots for 14 years. Like @NOXCUSE I keep them clean and oiled that they last.

View attachment 45239
I have these too in 6 or 8” and they are a dream to walk on especially concrete floors

I've used Redwing for years , went through at least 6 or 7 pair over the course of 10 years. Around the 5th or 6th pair I noticed the quality wasn't the same .I was wearing down the soles within 5 months . Plus the local stores customer service and warranty/repairs was going down hill . This is my first pair of Thorogood boots , only 2 months in and still seem pretty good. They had a quick break in period .
20220128_095324.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of boot are you looking for? Georgia Romeos are my usual but I do have some tall lace ups. White something from Canuckistan.

Besides my Pecos, I have a pair of Justin Driller waterproofs that I wear on the ranch. I can ride easy with them, decent traction, and like my Redwings, Justin’s are top tier for a good price.

Couple of weeks ago I noticed this topic and told my husband if he want to get new boots, he should read it :D
I am back now because I need a pair... I need a waterproof boot with not flat sole, no laces. I need to walk on dirt fields and when I walk, I often have to kick the ground to make my footsteps deep (and I mean 2000-3000 steps long walks) and because the field ground is uneven, I need the most support I can get from the boots.
Went to a local Bootbarn and I was so disappointed. First, every boot I picked was made in China. Price around $200. For made in China...then I got home with a pair of Ariat, walked on the field, the boot got some dust, I cleaned and returned, because it was taking my socks off while kicking the ground. The sales person said "one time courtesy" that she is accepting my return, because I can wear them only inside the house. OK. Got home with a second pair, put plastic bags on them and tried to mimic the walk mode I will need outside in my kitchen. The next day when I was about to start working, I decided it's just too much stress and was not using my new boots at all and returned the same day. In the same plastic bags that they had on them. The same sales person: "I cannot accept your return because you were wearing them outside!" WHAT??? I even had the plastic bags on them! She said I was wearing them outside and the last thing she can do is to give me store credit. I was about to leave them the boot and declining the store credit saying I am not going to spend here any penny anymore. Finally got my money back.
OK, I won't troll off the topic any longer.
I will go to a Red Wing store this afternoon by the recommendations I was reading by you guys.

Back