Wildlife Photos

I know that’s a pretty good rule of thumb for snakes in general, but I’m not so sure when regarding turtles. I’m not sure I’ve ever come across one without a round pupil. I’ve been close enough to snappers to know they have a round pupil and they are mean as hell!
All of the snappers and there are many on my lake have the eclipse or cat like eye pupil and they are the devil. Mean and nasty. We grown them 18" diameter for a small on to over 24" diameter.

Sludge, good rule-of-thumb! :)

The way I shoot rattlers is I set the lens for its minimum focus and then move the camera in. Depending on the lens I am usually under 18".
I watch their neck muscles to see if they're tensing up for a strike.

Last edited:
There's no rule-of-thumb regarding eye shape and whether a snake is venomous, trust me. Head shape is a better indicator but far from diagnostic. The most poisonous snake in N America has a round head and round eyes - the Coral Snake.
I hate snakes won't catch me near them. except for maybe a Shelby super snake.
IMG_0990.jpeg

These are nice guys. used to come to my dock every day and quack up at me. I think they got eaten by somebody last duck season
IMG_2325.jpeg

Andy,
Were you on your way to the Territory of the Wallis and Futuna Islands? ;)

Ha, that may have been more fun! We sailed from Portland to Japan and were intercepted by the Russian Coast Guard along the way, held for two days off the island of Sakhalin. Don’t fuck with the Russians, they make their own rules.
B2A47C00-AE3A-4648-90C6-9429BDF13CA1.jpeg

Yeah, spent a good amount of my life trying to figure those assholes out. Like your little sailboat was some kind of spy boat? ?

Back