Whipple Supercharger for 7.3 Godzilla

TremorTim

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor 7.3 Godzilla
Other than possible warranty issues what do you think about putting one of these bad boys on the 7.3?

Attachments

• Whipple.JPG
    Whipple.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 362
Other than possible warranty issues what do you think about putting one of these bad boys on the 7.3?
I think you'll be passing everything but a gas station!

Wouldn't you need to do other modifications IE rockers, lifters and possibly even pistons and connecting rods to handle the HP output?

I doubt it's a bolt on mod.

I think it will be hard on the drivetrain with all the torque down low. Pro charger has a bolt on for the 7.3 that will do 5.2 sec 0-60 on stock truck and should roll into the power a little better.

I think you'll be passing everything but a gas station!

Wouldn't you need to do other modifications IE rockers, lifters and possibly even pistons and connecting rods to handle the HP output?

I doubt it's a bolt on mod.
It’s supposed to be just a direct bolt on. The Godzilla is built so stout and the boost is within a range where other engine mods aren’t necessary. I would consider getting one after the warranty has passed, and probably after I’m done with the payments.

I think it will be hard on the drivetrain with all the torque down low. Pro charger has a bolt on for the 7.3 that will do 5.2 sec 0-60 on stock truck and should roll into the power a little better.
The Procharger unit is just the charger without any tuning.
The whipple comes with ECU & Transmission programming tuner.

Does the 7.3 use the identical transmission as the 6.7? If so, you know that 7.3 transmission can handle a good chunk more power than it’s currently getting.

I think it seems awesome for a lot of scenarios. For people planning to do long, off-roading trips, I’m not sure the hit on reliability and gas would be worthwhile.

Does the 7.3 use the identical transmission as the 6.7? If so, you know that 7.3 transmission can handle a good chunk more power than it’s currently getting.

I think it seems awesome for a lot of scenarios. For people planning to do long, off-roading trips, I’m not sure the hit on reliability and gas would be worthwhile.
They both use the exact same transmissions.
So yes, no problem handling the extra power. ??

They both use the exact same transmissions.
So yes, no problem handling the extra power. ??

They are not exactly the same, here are the differences in the 10R140:
  • Individual clutch plates are dropped (deleted) from two clutch pack elements in the Gas version, hence the Diesel version has more clutch holding surface area than Gas version
  • Pinion gears are dropped (deleted) from two planetary gear sets in the Gas version
  • Diesel version has four pinion planetaries where the gas version has 3 pinion planetaries in two out of the four planetary gear sets in the transmission
  • The fluid capacity is a tenth of a quart less in the Diesel version, likely due to the additional space the two extra pinion gears and clutch plates occupy within the case

• Individual clutch plates are dropped (deleted) from two clutch pack elements in the Gas version, hence the Diesel version has more clutch holding surface area than Gas version
  • Pinion gears are dropped (deleted) from two planetary gear sets in the Gas version
  • Diesel version has four pinion planetaries where the gas version has 3 pinion planetaries in two out of the four planetary gear sets in the transmission
  • The fluid capacity is a tenth of a quart less in the Diesel version, likely due to the additional space the two extra pinion gears and clutch plates occupy within the case

Dang - good information! I’m amazed that the cost to re-engineer the transmission was worth implementing such small changes. They must have saved a decent chunk of money in parts/labor by making the change.

What makes you think the engine or the tranny can put up with the extra power? I'm getting the 7.3 partially because it seems likely to be the most reliable, and it is definitely not underpowered in stock form. If the truck is just a toy, go for it. If you want to rely on it, way out in the desert, or while crossing the continent, think again. Can the tranny be reprogrammed to adjust to different engine tunes?

What makes you think the engine or the tranny can put up with the extra power? I'm getting the 7.3 partially because it seems likely to be the most reliable, and it is definitely not underpowered in stock form. If the truck is just a toy, go for it. If you want to rely on it, way out in the desert, or while crossing the continent, think again. Can the tranny be reprogrammed to adjust to different engine tunes?
Yes, you can reprogram the tranny for different shift points to go long with the different engine tunes. The whipple comes with a handheld programmer from what I read on their website.

Whipple has been out for the 7.3L for months. I don't think anyone here has done it yet.

According to this article the 10R140 is in all 7.3 and 6.7 2020+ models, and the F350 6.2.

I guess the question I have for thevol is are you saying there are 2 different 10R140 transmissions? Where is this info sourced from? If that's true that's very interesting...

Back