What do y’all do for a living?

Owner operator and everything else of a home remodeling company. I opened my business in May of 2001. I used to do all kinds of projects but now I specialize in custom bathrooms.
IMG_9717.jpeg

I am Meth head wrangler (paramedic) in Denver. Daily my cohorts and I prove Darwin wrong.
OY, that’s a tough job man…. My nephew was in school to be a fireman and burned out on it before finishing due to no fires and non-Stop narcan applications. That’s a tough crowd to deal with every day.

OY, that’s a tough job man…. My nephew was in school to be a fireman and burned out on it before finishing due to no fires and non-Stop narcan applications. That’s a tough crowd to deal with every day.
A story I hear over and over again. Sad.

I am Meth head wrangler (paramedic) in Denver. Daily my cohorts and I prove Darwin wrong.

Been there, done that for almost 30 years. It’s good to be retired. Good luck and stay safe.

I design CPUs for everything from cell phones to supercomputers.

If you have a smartphone, browse YouTube, or shop on Amazon, chances are you interact with something I had a part in designing.

If you have a smartphone, browse YouTube, or shop on Amazon, chances are you interact with something I had a part in designing.
That is pretty cool. I like that.

I worked for a company that did the Panama Canal widening project 10-15 years ago. At least back then, they used my IT architecture/infrastructure design to run the software for the Panama Canal. It probably is representing a tiny fraction of the whole thing what is the Panama Canal, but it makes me feel proud about it. It sounds like you feel very similar with chip design.

I wish

I wish I could say the same about my profession. 🤪

That is pretty cool. I like that.

I worked for a company that did the Panama Canal widening project 10-15 years ago. At least back then, they used my IT architecture/infrastructure design to run the software for the Panama Canal. It probably is representing a tiny fraction of the whole thing what is the Panama Canal, but it makes me feel proud about it. It sounds like you feel very similar with chip design.
Having sailed through the Panama Canal - it's an impressive feat of engineering. We went through the old locks, but could see the new ones being built. Amazing.....

Having sailed through the Panama Canal - it's an impressive feat of engineering. We went through the old locks, but could see the new ones being built. Amazing.....
When I worked at the company that did this, I got a much better understanding of engineering and what goes into the work to build "stuff". It made me humble for sure.

I retired after 34 years working in IT for the local school district. I left at start of 2023. Last position was CTO of the district.

That sounds like you had a good career. Where did you start? How did you end up being a CTO?
Worked for Texas Tech before moving back to my childhood home to work for the school district. Was trained and certified by Apple, Epson, IBM, Zenith, .... Positions I filled over the 34 years - PC Technician, Systems Analyst, Network Manager, IT Manager, and CTO. Had no in-house systems when I was hired and only two connected computers in each school office. Classroom computers were Apple IIe, IIc, IBM PC 5150. Have over 45k devices when I retired and a $7m annual operations spend not including campus workstations.

Worked for Texas Tech before moving back to my childhood home to work for the school district. Was trained and certified by Apple, Epson, IBM, Zenith, .... Positions I filled over the 34 years - PC Technician, Systems Analyst, Network Manager, IT Manager, and CTO. Had no in-house systems when I was hired and only two connected computers in each school office. Classroom computers were Apple IIe, IIc, IBM PC 5150. Have over 45k devices when I retired and a $7m annual operations spend not including campus workstations.

I started as a TA for the new IT admin at 15. At 16 working at the only computer store in 60 miles. They still have 2 dozen dialup customers can’t get a Starlink through the trees and no cell signal. I am almost 42 and run a 7 person server team. I will be hanging this hat up in no more than 3 years to wash dishes and or just cook for someone. My mentors as a teenager are in the IT world are still in the game, but seem overworked and too stressed out. So I told the wife I am hanging it up, so I don’t die from the stress, and I refuse to fill the datacenter architecture and manager position.

Nice, my 79 year old dad is an electrical engineer and still works part time designing hardware.

Both my father and I worked at Texas Instruments back in the day.

Back