Well, I am an idiot

Sfjakey

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor
First Responder
Fireman
I own a diesel fishing boat. I’ve owned a diesel truck for 20 years. Never put gas in a diesel. Yesterday, while fielding lots of problems at work and on the phone, I mistakenly put 2.5 gallons of gas into a half full tank before I realized it. I never started it, never turned the ignition on, pulled the fuse for the fuel pump, disconnected both fuel filters and had it towed to the dealer. I think I just need the tank dropped, drained, cleaned, and refilled. Dealer says I’m looking at 14-1500 bucks. Seems like overkill to me. What am I missing? Other than I’m an idiot, or at least I was yesterday.

• Sad
Reactions: ccw
Seems high. There’s a video on here I believe from someone who swapped out tanks to the bigger 60 gallon. He did it by himself and did not look too hard. You can drop the tank and drain it yourself.

I own a diesel fishing boat. I’ve owned a diesel truck for 20 years. Never put gas in a diesel. Yesterday, while fielding lots of problems at work and on the phone, I mistakenly put 2.5 gallons of gas into a half full tank before I realized it. I never started it, never turned the ignition on, pulled the fuse for the fuel pump, disconnected both fuel filters and had it towed to the dealer. I think I just need the tank dropped, drained, cleaned, and refilled. Dealer says I’m looking at 14-1500 bucks. Seems like overkill to me. What am I missing? Other than I’m an idiot, or at least I was yesterday.
Forgive me as I'm not a diesel guy... But couldn't you syphon out all the diesel/gas in the tank and refill and you're good to go? Will gas really foul up the mechanics that much if there's very little left after the syphon? Seems excessive to clean out the tank. 🤷

Most likely, they want to tear the fuel system down for a flush, hence the 14-1500

I'm not sure about the diesel tremors, but on my 7.3 gas, as soon as I open the door, the fuel pump cycles. If that's the case with the diesels, then it would make sense to tear down and flush

Forgive me as I'm not a diesel guy... But couldn't you syphon out all the diesel/gas in the tank and refill and you're good to go? Will gas really foul up the mechanics that much if there's very little left after the syphon? Seems excessive to clean out the tank. 🤷
any gas at all will lower the flash point of the diesel fuel and could cause catastrophic engine damage

I had heard that opening the door could cause it to cycle. Didn’t seem right buy maybe so. I am at their mercy, since the truck only has 11k on it and its still under warranty. Although not likely ford will honor any engine warranty after this.

Our daughter just did this (5 gallons and drove 15 miles) to our 2016 F250. Burnt 2 injectors 😬.

It happens. At least you have your health and you caught it right away!

This is always a thought in the back of my head, my work truck is gas and my Tremor is diesel. Can be easily done if distracted for a minute.

Small reason and likely wouldn't happen but being worried my wife (or even me not laying attention) would do this is why I bought the 7.3. Again minor reason but it was on the list of pros for 7.3.

Pay to let them do it right.

Flash back to the late '80's. One of my now father-in-laws' workers did it to his F-250. He didn't know and started driving it home from the shop. I happen to show up at the time he's trying to get all that gas out of the system. I've known him for close to 40 years and it was the only time I heard him use foul language. It was laying down one hell of a smoke screen. It never ran right after that and he got rid of it a few months later. I can only imagine what gas would do to a modern computer controlled Diesel.

Don't beat yourself up too much...its a mistake. As I was leaving my salesman told me that a new to diesel driver put DEF in his diesel tank. That cost him $15K. To make matters worse, the parts have been on backorder for over 4 months.

• Wow
I don't really have anything else to add that the others haven't said..but I just wanted to say that I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. The fact that you had the presence of mind to immediately take mitigating actions by pulling the fuel pump fuse etc says to me that you are far from an idiot. Shit happens...chalk it up as a $1500 reminder to do better next time that's still cheaper than a new engine and use this story as a cautionary tale for others that will sink in more as a real-life example rather than a theoretical "gotcha".

One (of many) reasons I upgraded to the 60 gallon tank. I’ve never owned a Diesel engine before. I figured with a 60 gallon tank, I don’t have to fill up as much, and therefore decrease my chances of doing this same thing. I’m hoping I don’t, but no one is perfect, and 30+ years of gasoline usage is gonna have to creep in trying to trick me at some point.

Really. My 1994 had two tanks. I started filling one after a 14 hr night shift. Fuk its gasoline. Dropping the tank and dumping it was actually simple. Do it yourself. Do not dump it down the sewer or drain.

There's one station I use to stop at on the way to work that had the gas handles green and the diesel handle black, I stopped going there because I figured it was a mistake waiting to happen. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

The only thing I can figure is some expensive cost related to disposal of a lot of fuel.

Diesel fuel and gasoline are each a blend of hydrocarbon compounds derived from petroleum crude oil. If these compounds are mixed, they will remain mixed and will not separate unless they are subjected to a distillation process

So I guess best to drop the tank. Just syphoning it out may not get it all if the pump cycles with the door opening.

You just paid what I call "stupid tax". We all have paid it at some time or another.

Back