Viair On Board Air Intallation

I ordered my Viair setup today. I also got the 485C except it’s the black stealth compressors. Thanks for the idea Ed. Now I need your exact measurements for brackets lol. Once I get a fifth wheel toy hauler, I’ll be ready for an air bag setup. Any suggestions on airbag setups for suspension and or air fifth wheel hitch?

I had AirLift bags on my F150 and they worked very well.

HThe regulator, gauge, manifold and air chuck are in the bed, mounted to the BuiltRight Industries panel.

Ed

View attachment 598

Ed, will the small builtright panel fit the rear of the bed next to the fifth wheel plug? I only need 1 and I do not want the large panel. Their website says the small panel is front and the large panel is rear. From picks and assuming it looks like the tie down mounts are all the same bolt pattern. Thanks

Ed, will the small builtright panel fit the rear of the bed next to the fifth wheel plug? I only need 1 and I do not want the large panel. Their website says the small panel is front and the large panel is rear. From picks and assuming it looks like the tie down mounts are all the same bolt pattern. Thanks
I will look / measure later today and let you know. I am not sure if the plugs will interfere. I would tentatively say it would work on the passenger side but I will let you know.

Ed

If you get the small drivers side panel, it will fit where the large rear one would go, and clear the plugs.

Ed

If you get the small drivers side panel, it will fit where the large rear one would go, and clear the plugs.

Ed

Thanks so much, this is why I love this group!

I have a question about the install.

My compressor is mounted inside my tool box. On my 2002 7.3 I just ran it directly to the battery. Had a problem with the toggle switch so I put in a push pull switch. Nothing moving around inside the box can activate the new switch. On this truck I wanted to use the upfitter switch as an extra margin of safety for accidental compressor start.

The thing I am not sure about after seeing yours is how the positive cable is attached. It looks to come off the battery to a fuse then does it go to the relay box. The 40 amp relay goes to what. Compressor relay or to main compressor positive feed, (#8 or #6 gauge wire)

Maybe if I was able to see the wire bundle better I could see how it is wired. Is your compressor wired directly to the battery and the upfitter switches control only relay of the compressor??? That's where I get unsure.

Been raining a lot here and if I open the hood it starts raining again.

Here is a pic of mine. The compressor switch relay is on the back wall. Nothing is hooked to the battery yet. The wire you see is the power for my toolbox lights. Switch on drivers side.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 139
I think the instruction manual wiring diagram is the best way to describe my wiring. I only changed one thing from the diagram, using my upfitter switch rather than the supplied panel from Viair.

ViairWiring.JPG

I was under the impression that the main power source had to run through the upfitter relay box to the compressor so the power management system would not cause problems.

In your case, you used the upfitter circuit to switch the compressor relay. Main power is to battery and ground, replacing the dash panel switch with the upfitter switch.

I need to learn more about the power management system.

Thanks for the response

I was under the impression that the main power source had to run through the upfitter relay box to the compressor so the power management system would not cause problems.

In your case, you used the upfitter circuit to switch the compressor relay. Main power is to battery and ground, replacing the dash panel switch with the upfitter switch.

I need to learn more about the power management system.

Thanks for the response

I am installing mine as I type this. I currently have mine wired like this. The main power comes from the battery and the pressure switch goes to upfitter and relay. I will post pics of my mounting brackets I made later.
FE9F2234-A672-44D4-9DE0-41D3DF8D1CF5.jpeg

Ok here is my Viair 485C setup. I pretty much placed everything in the same spot as Ed. However, my mounting is different. I did have to slightly trim off the corner of my side steps in order to get the tank to fit. If you have the fold down steps this probably won’t be an issue. I used 1/4” x 1” aluminum flat bar from Lowe’s to make my tank hangers. I did buy the Viair compressor mounts ($20 x 2) and used the flat bar to mount them together. I used 3/8-16 all thread and hardware from Home Depot (all stainless). This setup is a good option if you don’t have access to a welder to make mounts.

FCCB3A98-4A8D-4176-AEDA-B21E3C377E42.jpeg
394BD35F-B8E6-43FE-B283-06EA338997FA.jpeg
3181E937-7562-4572-8EFB-F9FEFEE5DE26.jpeg
D56C46A8-46E6-4FCF-8BE6-AA06703874F1.jpeg
7018CB42-2FBA-452D-9545-8A51A08637C6.jpeg
3BE9B55F-8343-4475-AFED-C9262FDE97CD.jpeg
06C6C308-F8EC-45DC-BF38-EB19F918CF14.jpeg
EDF0E794-91A5-4377-BD78-6CBACCC70618.jpeg
3BCD9BD1-E83F-436B-A895-327524B6DC68.jpeg
C3F1369B-7149-4C59-9ACF-43D93663E53D.jpeg

That's a great install! Hope you like it as much as I do mine!

Ed

Rock Taxi were you able to connect the compressor positive cable to the stud on the cable clamp. The stud is too short on mine with all that metal bracket stuff that is attached to the short wire. No idea why they made it like that. Thought about using the clamping screw but it appears to be painted on the positive.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 83
I was able to. I used a relatively small and thin connector. I've been wondering what I will do when I try and mount winch cables to the batteries though.....

Ed

Install a power distribution block. That way you will only have 1 connection to battery.

I think these are the way I will go, one red, one black. Will run some 0/1 gauge welding cable to them and jump both winches off these.

Ed

How will you get power to the posts from the battery? And where will you mount the posts?

I am thinking the posts will be down on the frame rail or body mount near the front axle. I will make a couple of cables to run from the battery to the posts, then custom cables from the winches to the posts. I might do some research on how long the front winch's cables are from Warn, to locate the posts within reach of the stock cables.

I think - not sure yet, more googling - that I will drill a hole in the driver's side positive battery terminal for a bolt to mount the cable to the posts under the truck. The negative post already has a stud in it.

Ed

Ed

Considered the drill the positive concept. Bought a post this morning to add short cable from + terminal. Decided to try another route. At this point I am doing an add on to the + stud with flat copper. Adding a 1/4 inch stud (bolt)and moving the cable to it. Basically making the existing terminal connector bigger. Attaching it with existing short stud and moving the cable to the new stud. Don't disconnect the cable from the terminal without keeping power on it. Don't ask how I know. That is what changed my thoughts about drilling the cable connector. Amost have my copper piece ready to try. Just got to rig a power supply to cable when I take it off the stud again and a shorter screw for the new stud. Going to try to tin the copper too. If it works i will post a pic. May be crude but will work, I think. Sure wish I was taller. Would make it easier. Climbing on a crate in the hot sun is getting old.

Latest Discussions

Back