Tremor Fiend
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Platinum Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
22yo girlfriend in college
Stock 6.7.
Since I picked it up new, when I'm driving on the road I can detect a very quite/low droning when my foot is on the gas, but it immediately stops when I take it off. The pitch doesn't change with speed. And is only really detectable around 1200 rpm. I can't tell if it's a transmission drone, or just the exhaust/engine. It's so well insulated it's hard to tell. All gauges/messages are normal. Trans and engine temp are fine. Probably nothing.

Thoughts?

is it loud enough to record?

Some guys have reported tranny whine.....but in a 6.7 its not really detectable

is it loud enough to record?
I'll see if I can get something, it's more of a certain 'tone' than a 'noise' if you get what I mean. I really wonder if it's just the actual engine/exhaust. I'm an engineer, so I tend to over analyze everything ?

Stock 6.7.
Since I picked it up new, when I'm driving on the road I can detect a very quite/low droning when my foot is on the gas, but it immediately stops when I take it off. The pitch doesn't change with speed. And is only really detectable around 1200 rpm. I can't tell if it's a transmission drone, or just the exhaust/engine. It's so well insulated it's hard to tell. All gauges/messages are normal. Trans and engine temp are fine. Probably nothing.

Thoughts?
Did you ever sort this out? As you said it's only detectable at a certain RPM and not very loud. I would think it could just be a couple pieces close together and one of them resonates a little at that one freq. as opposed to some real problem.

Nothing sorted out. Still detectable but nothing really seems to be 'wrong', i.e., no odd smells, no high temps, shifting is smooth and crisp.

Stock 6.7.

Thoughts?
I got the same thing on my 7.3L. Exactly at the same RPMs, more pronounced in 8th gear at 35-45mph. Quiet droning has a bit of a slow wave pattern I’ll say...

I got the same thing on my 7.3L. Exactly at the same RPMs, more pronounced in 8th gear at 35-45mph. Quiet droning has a bit of a slow wave pattern I’ll say...
Yeah, I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. But it feels/sounds like it's coming from the middle-rear of the cab. Any ideas?

Yeah, I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. But it feels/sounds like it's coming from the middle-rear of the cab. Any ideas?
I've been trying and investigating too, but it's so mild, i can't even properly record a video or clip of it.
I will say I discovered the exact same slight sound pattern when the truck is off and standing still, leading me to believe this is somewhat related to electrical/alternator/...
You need good ears to tell, but, here's what I did and twice I was able to hear the sound. You have to be in a quiet spot (i did it in my garage).
- Unlock the truck, get in, close the door, and just sit in the driver seat, without doing anything else. Not starting it, not pushing any buttons.
- If it's absolutely silent (think of it as if you're trying to meditate in your truck, if that's your thing), you will be able to hear the slight wave-like electric droning.
- If you can't tell at first, you will be able to after about 10-15min, when the truck goes into deep sleep again, because that's when the sound goes away. So you gotta sit there for a bit.

That sound and wave pattern is exactly the same as the one i hear when driving at those RPMs, just more pronounced.

I've been trying and investigating too, but it's so mild, i can't even properly record a video or clip of it.
I will say I discovered the exact same slight sound pattern when the truck is off and standing still, leading me to believe this is somewhat related to electrical/alternator/...
You need good ears to tell, but, here's what I did and twice I was able to hear the sound. You have to be in a quiet spot (i did it in my garage).
- Unlock the truck, get in, close the door, and just sit in the driver seat, without doing anything else. Not starting it, not pushing any buttons.
- If it's absolutely silent (think of it as if you're trying to meditate in your truck, if that's your thing), you will be able to hear the slight wave-like electric droning.
- If you can't tell at first, you will be able to after about 10-15min, when the truck goes into deep sleep again, because that's when the sound goes away. So you gotta sit there for a bit.

That sound and wave pattern is exactly the same as the one i hear when driving at those RPMs, just more pronounced.
Interesting. Mine sounds completely mechanical and will change a little in pitch with RPMs.

Interesting. Mine sounds completely mechanical and will change a little in pitch with RPMs.
We have a different drone then lol or maybe not. Because mines mechanical when driving. But, it matches the pattern of that sound I described in the post above, which is more electrical... who knows... I guess I just need something to keep my mind busy

Update: I can reproduce the drone when in P, i.e., not moving. Does anyone notice this with a higher amp alternator?

Back