Upfitter switchs

DMac

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Tremor
I am wiring a compressor to the #6 position switch. The pressure switch for the compressor has two hot leads, one to the battery and one to the on-off switch.

When wiring to the upfitter, I am thinking I connect both these wires to the upfitter wire as it has both the power and on-off.

Is that right? Should I splice these two wires together?

I am wiring a compressor to the #6 position switch. The pressure switch for the compressor has two hot leads, one to the battery and one to the on-off switch.

When wiring to the upfitter, I am thinking I connect both these wires to the upfitter wire as it has both the power and on-off.

You shouldn't splice together instead use a relay

You shouldn't splice together instead use a relay
So that is where my question starts. The upfitter has a 40 amp relay that I am wiring to. Still need to put something else in-line?
Thanks for the advice, I need crayons and pop ups with wiring questions.

So that is where my question starts. The upfitter has a 40 amp relay that I am wiring to. Still need to put something else in-line?
Thanks for the advice, I need crayons and pop ups with wiring questions.
You should put a relay in between the battery power wire and the pressure switch. Activated by the upfitter switch. This would be the optimal way. Of course you could just wire the output from the upfitter directly to the battery power input on the pressure switch, as long as the compressor doesn’t pull more than 40 amps. Then the output from the pressure switch goes to the compressor power input.

Of course you could just wire the output from the upfitter directly to the battery power input on the pressure switch, as long as the compressor doesn’t pull more than 40 amps.
It will depend, of course, on what compressor you have and the location where it will be mounted.

I'm confused. Do the instructions for the compressor say to have both hot leads switched? It sounds to me like only the on/off wire needs to be switched and the battery wire is constant hot. If there's power to the on/off wire, then it is able to turn on.

Now, you may prefer to switch the battery lead anyways for any number of reasons. But I'm wondering if that's a requirement.

The pressure switch is like a regular house switch power in and power out.....ie pressure switch is 70 - 120 psi for shits and giggles it would turn on if pressure in tanks gets below 70 and would shut off at 120.....reason for a relay , you would power pressure switch from upfitter have battery power as constant supply to relay then to compressor

Attachments

• e3bce749d9b9c0b3fb59ad07e16bca00.jpg
    e3bce749d9b9c0b3fb59ad07e16bca00.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 56
The pressure switch is like a regular house switch power in and power out.....ie pressure switch is 70 - 120 psi for shits and giggles it would turn on if pressure in tanks gets below 70 and would shut off at 120.....reason for a relay , you would power pressure switch from upfitter have battery power as constant supply to relay then to compressor
Ohhh I think I see what I misunderstood. I interpreted OP's statement of two leads being two input leads. But makes much more sense that one is input to the switch, and one is output.

Assuming that's the case, then I completely agree with what you're describing and your diagram shows.

Ohhh I think I see what I misunderstood. I interpreted OP's statement of two leads being two input leads. But makes much more sense that one is input to the switch, and one is output.

Assuming that's the case, then I completely agree with what you're describing and your diagram shows.
I am assuming that's what he means but you know what assuming does.....👍👍👍

I thought the same thing and did the same thing…and then I followed the instructions and did it over again when it didn’t work the first time. I’m like you when it comes to wiring, so I can’t explain the “why” other than to say the way you outlined it didn’t work for me.

Good luck!

You guys are making this more complicated than it needs to be. ARB made these ready to use with no concerns for pressure switches or anything else. The power wires for the compressor that already include two 40 amp mega fuses go to your battery. The remote turn on wire goes to any of your upfitter switches and is what triggers the relay to turn the compressors on. It will use less than 1 amp. Turn the upfitter on and the compressors will run until the pressure switch tells them to shut off or you shut the switch off. Simple as that.

You guys are making this more complicated than it needs to be. ARB made these ready to use with no concerns for pressure switches or anything else. The power wires for the compressor that already include two 40 amp mega fuses go to your battery. The remote turn on wire goes to any of your upfitter switches and is what triggers the relay to turn the compressors on. It will use less than 1 amp. Turn the upfitter on and the compressors will run until the pressure switch tells them to shut off or you shut the switch off. Simple as that.
I didn’t know the OP had an ARB. Just stated hooking up a compressor and utilizing a pressure switch. Sorry, I am used to home-brewed onboard air systems pieced together with many different components.

I didn’t know the OP had an ARB. Just stated hooking up a compressor and utilizing a pressure switch. Sorry, I am used to home-brewed onboard air systems pieced together with many different components.
Good point. It seems like 99% of people are using ARB so I just assumed. My bad!

Once again assuming does what....and I'm pretty sure my explanation was the same as yours @kanffie

Back