Truck is delivered, dealership trying to alter the deal

MyF150cantTowMuch

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Lariat FX4 7.3L, ordered 9/18/21, built 3/28/22 and picked up 4/28/22
Current Ride #2
2010 Mustang GT, 2019 Highlander hybrid
Need some help - I ordered my F-350 back in September. The dealership agreed to X-Plan pricing and a trade in value of my current vehicle (2012 F-150) of $17,000 with the stipulation that I was allowed 1000 miles per month usage until the new truck comes in. I have a $200 deposit down on the order and a signed order sheet including the mileage stipulation. Fast forward to now, the F-350 arrived yesterday. I'm planning to pick it up tomorrow. The dealer asked for my current mileage on my trade to give to his appraiser. I reminded him that we had a signed agreement (both for the order and a purchase agreement they signed earlier this month for me to get financing through a credit union) that states the same information I said earlier (text stream copied for reference).

(Dominick is the sales manager, Zach is the salesman). Its been over two hours since they sent this and they have not yet called back. I'm guessing they are trying to figure out how to get out of paying me the $17,000 for my trade. What should I say or do if they come back and try to offer me less?

If I can avoid it, I'd prefer not to go to the Ohio Attorney General since I'd like to get my new truck after waiting 7+ months. Condition-wise, my trade in is in great shape and identical to how it was when I got their offer. I have not exceeded the 1000 mile per month stipulation.

Thanks in advance! (Star Wars reference intentional lol)

9lesk8sw2i27u2w29x96ebh5m5zj

(Dominick is the sales manager, Zach is the salesman). Its been over two hours since they sent this and they have not yet called back. I'm guessing they are trying to figure out how to get out of paying me the $17,000 for my trade. What should I say or do if they come back and try to offer me less?
Hammer back on them a few times because I expect they'll probably try a couple times to weasel out / incrementally walk up your trade price. (Or its just the sales guy trying to line out his pocket and the manager steps in and sticks with the deal if he's not a douche). Yes there has been a time component and you know what has happened during that time? The cost of vehicles, including used ones, HAS GONE UP. What does KBB calculator think?

They are really giving a song/dance about 17k being too high for the market doesn't hurt to have a trade in quote from another dealer in your pocket. But I'd focus on the fact the pricing on trucks has only increased since Sept and inventory is still slim.

Threatening to back out is not a option. They would be happy to have your truck to sell to someone else at MSRP plus a few thousand. They don’t care if you walk.

Stick to the fact that you had a agreement. If they try to waiver from that agreement, remind them again. Then ask if this is the level of integrity that they take with all of their customers. If shaming them doesn’t work, tell them that you are contacting Ford customer service, the dealership manager, owner, and anyone else that will listen. Then follow through with the calls that you need to make.

Leave the dealership (if you are there in person), but don’t release them from the deal. Take a couple of days and make your phone calls. Continue to remind them that you had a agreement and that they are in the wrong here. Hopefully you can get some support from someone up the food chain.

What does KBB calculator think?
Its actually gone down for my vehicle - at the time of trade, $17,000 was right in the middle of what it indicated to expect. Now, that same middle is about $15,000. My guess is they will lose money on the trade-in in the current market if they stick to the agreement. I've also declined any dealer add-ons and am not financing with them so I'm gonna guess they are not really happy with the deal they agreed to.

Doesn't appear you have a problem, yet, as they have not answered you. $17K, for a 2012 F150 Lariat actually seems a little low, in this market, unless it already had excessive miles on it (150K+). You can always take the F350, at your agreed price, and then sell the F150 elsewhere. Not sure if your tax code is favorable for trading but where I live, the tax savings, on $17K trade value would be about $650.

Doesn't appear you have a problem, yet, as they have not answered you. $17K, for a 2012 F150 Lariat actually seems a little low, in this market, unless it already had excessive miles on it (150K+). You can always take the F350, at your agreed price, and then sell the F150 elsewhere. Not sure if your tax code is favorable for trading but where I live, the tax savings, on $17K trade value would be about $650.
Just got a text back - they said the number can stand. I'm still nervous they will try to pull something...I've had to remind them of details of our agreement several times including today - can't wait til this part of the process is over.

Tax savings is about $1300 here (7.5%). My F-150 has about 145,000 miles on it - I tried to push for more when I placed the order but thought theirs was fair - I went in expecting a low ball offer.

Everyone has summed up basically anything that I could have added to the conversation. Good luck with the deal and keep us posted on any other shenanigans they may try to pull. Oh and I looked at where you are from and I’m a little confused about how you can be from two different places, but here’s a shout out from a (possibly) fellow Butler guy! Lol. 👊🏼

I would politely remind them that you will be happy to write accurate reviews of your experience. Also, that you will be happy to contact Ford directly if you aren't satisfied. While neither of these are very strong cards to play, both can cost the dealership real money if they have a good reputation. If they already have a bad reputation, then it's probably unlikely they'll try to make you happy and also unlikely they will be around much longer. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

FWIW - I've had to do do this twice. First time was at a GMC dealer for service, I wrote an accurate and concise negative review, the next day I got a call from their marketing manager who offered me 1/2 my money back. The second time was with a Kia recall service, they were dragging their feet, their tune changed very quickly when I suggested I would call Kia directly. I wasn't exactly happy with either experience, but in the end wasn't too angry either.

Last edited:
Everyone has summed up basically anything that I could have added to the conversation. Good luck with the deal and keep us posted on any other shenanigans they may try to pull. Oh and I looked at where you are from and I’m a little confused about how you can be from two different places, but here’s a shout out from a (possibly) fellow Butler guy! Lol. 👊🏼
Lol, yep, I'm from Butler, grew up in Meridian, graduated from Butler High 👊 Live in Columbus now but definitely miss western PA

I would politely remind them that you will be happy to write accurate reviews of your experience. Also, that you will be happy to contact Ford directly if you aren't satisfied. While neither of these are very strong cards to play, both can cost the dealership real money if they have a good reputation. If they already have a bad reputation, then it's probably unlikely they'll try to make you happy and also unlikely they will be around much longer. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

FWIW - I've had to do do this twice. First time was at a GMC dealer for service, I wrote an accurate and concise negative review, the next day I got a call from their marketing manager who offered me 1/2 my money back. The second time was with a Kia recall service, they were dragging their feet, their tune changed very quickly when I suggested I would call Kia directly. I wasn't exactly happy with either experience, but in the end wasn't too angry either.
I will definitely review them either way and am really looking forward to writing them a positive one, just hope it turns out that way.

Hope they honor the agreement. I’m in the same boat. Truck arrived in the next couple of days, want to use their lender which was never agreed to, wanted updated mileage etc. we’ll see.

Just got a text back - they said the number can stand. I'm still nervous they will try to pull something...I've had to remind them of details of our agreement several times including today - can't wait til this part of the process is over.

Of course you did and don't expect not to sadly, they prey on "go with the flow" folks who don't challenge them and its easy money if you don't have a conscience that feels bad about bait/switch. People like that convince themselves that if someone voluntarily pays the altered price they didn't do anything wrong...

Let us know what happens. It sounds like it will work out for you. I have had this pulled on me a couple of times. The first time I gave in to the tune of $200. Then as the years wore on I turned into a mean SOB and the next time it happened I stuck to my guns and did not pay a cent more. And to top it off I told them I was going to give them crappy scores on their survey even though I was sure it would not make a difference. I am sure they did not care, and I did not care either.

The point is I think you have handled this nicely.

Let us know what happens...

This is an example of why dealerships need to die in favor of the direct to consumer with factory service centers model.

Absolutely needless time and hassle spent to buy a vehiclei
I am leaning toward this "direct sale" model as well. Particularly given the current car sales environment. Last week, I inquired with the largest, local Toyota dealer about getting one of the GR Corolla hot hatches when they arrive. They don't even know the actual price, yet, but the Sales Manager said he would gladly put me on a waiting list, if I agreed to MSRP+10% as a "completely fair" offer, in his words. On one hand, dealers charging ADM is a lousy way of doing business but the other hand, buyers willing to pay ADM are just as culpable. The dealers say it is a "supply and demand" issue and the buyers say they can do whatever they wish with their money..........both concepts being completely true.

Just got a text back - they said the number can stand. I'm still nervous they will try to pull something...I've had to remind them of details of our agreement several times including today - can't wait til this part of the process is over
Doesn't appear you have a problem, yet, as they have not answered you.

Glad it is on track but take the advice @CRS250 offered: Don't create an issue where one does not exist. I realize this process can be stressful but the last thing you need is to worry about something that has not happened. Think through the steps so you are prepared, but don't go too far!

Lol, yep, I'm from Butler, grew up in Meridian, graduated from Butler High 👊 Live in Columbus now but definitely miss western PA

I will definitely review them either way and am really looking forward to writing them a positive one, just hope it turns out that way.
Small world…I’m within walking distance from Kings Kones, on the opposite side of 68 from Meridian. We moved to the area almost 15 years ago. You’ll have to hit me up if you ever make it back. 👊🏼

When i Ordered mine the Dealership gave me a "now" trade in price, or a very lowball at delivery trade in price.

Not having a truck for months wasnt an option for me, and i opted not to lock myself into any trade at the order time. I ended up selling the old truck privately fairly quickly and for more then either trade in price when the new truck shipped.

Let us know what happens. It sounds like it will work out for you. I have had this pulled on me a couple of times. The first time I gave in to the tune of $200. Then as the years wore on I turned into a mean SOB and the next time it happened I stuck to my guns and did not pay a cent more. And to top it off I told them I was going to give them crappy scores on their survey even though I was sure it would not make a difference. I am sure they did not care, and I did not care either.

The point is I think you have handled this nicely.

Let us know what happens...

Back when the market was different in 2020 I was buying a used 2019 expedition, I made an offer and they agreed when they wrote the sale they added $300 for the window security scam, not only did I reject the add on I also lowered my offer $300 in response just to make a point and told them exactly why. Screw me? Screw you... Yes my reduced price is what I paid, I stuck with it. Different market though. :p

Just curious, what dealership are you working with? I’m from central Ohio also.

Back