transmission oil cooler

Are you monitoring your transmission temps and noticing something high?

Just to be clear, there is a factory transmission oil cooler that uses engine coolant to remove heat from the transmission fluid, it can be seen below. Are you asking if additional cooling is needed?

1642521873067.png

There should also be an additional cooler in front of the radiator. Mine has one, not sure if that came with any option I picked?
Should be able to see it through the grill.

There should also be an additional cooler in front of the radiator. Mine has one, not sure if that came with any option I picked?
Should be able to see it through the grill.
I believe that is for the power steering. I believe the transmission only has the oil to coolant cooler pictured above.

interesting, will have to look into that, thanks

Ford wants these to run hot compared to older trans, not sure why but they must have their reasons. I believe there is some sort of thermostat in the trans oil cooling system that people have changed to lower temps, not sure if thats a good idea. Im old school as well and like to see the temps low as possible but not sure that is best practice with these high tech trans...especially if you are at stock power.

Ford wants these to run hot compared to older trans, not sure why but they must have their reasons. I believe there is some sort of thermostat in the trans oil cooling system that people have changed to lower temps, not sure if thats a good idea. Im old school as well and like to see the temps low as possible but not sure that is best practice with these high tech trans...especially if you are at stock power.
The problem is if the gearbox is overheated, the oil may mix with my radiator

Watch your transmission gauge and you'll know if the cooling is adequate. If you're using your truck within the designed means (not towing over capacity or at extreme speed) you should not need to install a larger transmission cooler.

In my 2015 diesel, I was 25,000# rolling down the highway fully loaded. I pulled huge grades where I held the throttle on the floor for 10+ minutes at a time. The transmission temperature never got over 225 which is plenty safe for what I was doing with the truck.

Mileage and drivability would be my guess. Getting all the fluids up to temperature as quickly as possible to lower the viscosity. The same reason so many engines are running much thinner oils than years ago.

Related story........ Years ago when I had my 2006 Duramax, a retired engineer from Allison transmission joined the forum to help answer some questions. He said to test their transmission fluid, they ran it in city buses with undersize coolers (to make the fluid hot on purpose) for 100,000 miles and they did not start to see any loss of life or performance until it exceeded 300 degrees. At the same time he's saying this, the keyboard warriors and saying that you're "destroying your transmission" if you ever let the fluid get over 200 degrees and they're swapping in huge coolers trying to keep it as cool as possible. It was amusing to watch the discussion. As usual, the guy who devoted many years of his life to being a part of designing, testing, and supporting the very transmission they were discussing gave up and let the keyboard warriors win. He actually said something like "I'm retired and I don't have the energy to argue with you anymore."

Watch your transmission gauge and you'll know if the cooling is adequate. If you're using your truck within the designed means (not towing over capacity or at extreme speed) you should not need to install a larger transmission cooler.

In my 2015 diesel, I was 25,000# rolling down the highway fully loaded. I pulled huge grades where I held the throttle on the floor for 10+ minutes at a time. The transmission temperature never got over 225 which is plenty safe for what I was doing with the truck.
ok

Mileage and drivability would be my guess. Getting all the fluids up to temperature as quickly as possible to lower the viscosity. The same reason so many engines are running much thinner oils than years ago.

Related story........ Years ago when I had my 2006 Duramax, a retired engineer from Allison transmission joined the forum to help answer some questions. He said to test their transmission fluid, they ran it in city buses with undersize coolers (to make the fluid hot on purpose) for 100,000 miles and they did not start to see any loss of life or performance until it exceeded 300 degrees. At the same time he's saying this, the keyboard warriors and saying that you're "destroying your transmission" if you ever let the fluid get over 200 degrees and they're swapping in huge coolers trying to keep it as cool as possible. It was amusing to watch the discussion. As usual, the guy who devoted many years of his life to being a part of designing, testing, and supporting the very transmission they were discussing gave up and let the keyboard warriors win. He actually said something like "I'm retired and I don't have the energy to argue with you anymore."
It is true what the man said

Now I know about this beautiful test

These new fluids are far superior to the old regular petroleum formulations. In the old days say with Type F you get much over 200 and it really started to degrade. I still don't like much over 240, which I get to playing in the dunes with various vehicles, but that is just me. With my Raptor I changed the fluid early just because, and it looked just fine.

These new fluids are far superior to the old regular petroleum formulations. In the old days say with Type F you get much over 200 and it really started to degrade. I still don't like much over 240, which I get to playing in the dunes with various vehicles, but that is just me. With my Raptor I changed the fluid early just because, and it looked just fine.
This is better

Back