Transmission issues

Djdannyd93

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
2020 6.7 , 80,000km
Brought it in for Transmission recall ( planetary gear may come loose etc )

Brought up the issue of it shifting harsh from 2nd to 3rd and 4 to 6th stutter / hesitant shift ( not always but about half the time these shifts not being smooth)

Truck went in yesterday for a few days and may be down a few weeks now due to the following

Not sure exactly what’s going on but something about the cd and cf clutch damaged and cdf drum bushing damaged. Parts are coming in from states / eastern Canada

Anyone else have this happen ?

* truck shifting strange from new , thought it might be learning for the first year or so then tried “ resetting it a few months back at dealer to “re learn” ( didn’t change shifting patterns )

Mine goes in Monday for crappy / harsh downshifting especially when transmission is not up to operating tempature. My truck has also developed harsh upshifting between 8, 9, and 10. Love every part of this truck, except the transmission / throttle response. In this application it is just unrefined and dead pedal issue is just dangerous. I miss my '15 6.7l.
I found a TSB in reference to sticking valve bodies, so I am hoping that this will fix it. My dealer says they have done about a dozen trucks so far with good results, however 2 of the trucks wound up having the transmission replaced do to contaminents found inside the transmission.

Wish I could ride along with people to understand what conditions are being experienced. I will say on my 2015 if you drive it stupid, the transmission starts acting/acts stupid in almost too quick of fashion. I have told lots of people to try to drive with a purpose. Meaning if your input to the pedal is like "on---off-on-off-on---off--on" the transmission HATES it.

I'm not saying it's all driver problems, yes the transmission is being controlled by electrons, so weird things can happen.

I tend to provide pedal input one of two ways: either very slow/cautious, or very deliberate.
Slow: Driving around a parking lot at almost idle, moving off from a stop light in traffic with about the softest touch on the pedal.
Deliberate: Given plenty of space I get up to my driving speed in quick fashion. 40-50MPH comes on fast with 20%+ pedal input.

Yes, I get caught up with slow driver's, people making sudden turns, etc etc etc...yes, the transmission can seem to act funky. Not to mention too fast downhill usingCruise Control.

Anyway. If anyone wants a second opinion before they head to the dealer hit me up. I hope you guys get this stuff worked out.

I to have found out like HeavyAssault described, that coming on slow or deliberate works pretty well for me. However, if not paying attention in a turn when slowing down then in the gas, the trans definitely acts weird,

I to have found out like HeavyAssault described, that coming on slow or deliberate works pretty well for me. However, if not paying attention in a turn when slowing down then in the gas, the trans definitely acts weird,
Exactly what I have experienced at well! Also, when braking fast for a person down the road in front of you, and then they move and you determine that there is no need to brake and long, and then get back in the peddle it has also acted extremely stupid.

I have never driven a truck that acts like this, your throttle and transmission response should be predictable and smooth. This is the first Ford I have ever owned that acts like this. My '15 with the 6speed was smooth responsive (upshifts/downshifts) in it's operation. The other Ford products, I have driven with the 10 spd have been smooth and responsive, including 2 Broncos, 2 F150 including a Raptor, Lincoln Navigator, 2 Lincoln Aviators. My only complaint was the one Lincoln Aviator had the so call normal transmission whine (but they all don't do it). The gas pedal and transmission should be smooth regardless of application of gas pedal. This is Fords program of the HD versions, plus possible hardware issues (valve body issues, etc). The reason I feel its Ford's programming, is that when cruising at highway speeds it is responsive and operates normal. You hit the gas it downshifts and goes. Now my weird 8,9,10 shifts just started acting weird this year as the weather warmed and it only does it occasionally, which I could personally live with.

Self admit, I like to drive it like spirited at times, as I like the feel of acceleration, did this in my '05 and my '15 with a smile on my face. This thing is just not fun to drive in my opinion. If you want to just drive it around like normal, I'm sure its perfectly fine. However, I should not be getting harsh downshifts, to the point you feel like you are being rearended. This is with no throttle imput as your slowing. You should also not get a dead pedal after coming off speed with no throttle imput, to throttle imput. not fun feeling when no one is home. A couple of times, I thought the truck had stalled, it was so delayed.

The other thing I recently found out with this transmission, is Ford defuels the truck prior to shifting, my guess to save their transmission. You can definitely feel it as the truck rolls over for a second between shifts before power comes on again. I am going to ask the shop forman about this as I only saw this a the internet. Well that's my rant.

Lol, I probably will too. My '05 stopped shifting at 100 miles and had to be towed to the dealer. It wound up being a bad TCM. They replaced it and it was flawless for the 10 years I owned it.

The idea of 'adaptive' transmission programming demonstrates how unnecessary and nefarious 'technology' has become. As a bona-fide human, I am infinitely more 'adaptable' than anyone could ever program a transmission to be. I want to operate a machine that is predictable, not variable.

This is all the result of tech-fascinated nerds who would be better off writing computer code for some overly complicated technology package sold to Tik Tok or the Department of Defense.

I have heard it is possible to turn off the adaptive non-sense with IDS.

I have a 2020 F-250 7.3L 10 speed. At 48,000 miles my transmission was hard shifting in gear and into reverse, I had hard shifts from 3rd to 4th and from 5th to 6th.
The dealer in Nashville told me there were two TSBs that needed to be done and ordered the parts. He gave me a car to drive on a Saturday and said it would be ready by the next Saturday.
Parts came in - they tore down the transmission and he called and told me it was shot and Ford had authorized a "New to me" transmission BUT it would take 6 to 10 weeks to get!
We dropped it off in October and picked it up in Feb 23!!

The dealer paid for the rental the entire time but we couldn't haul the camper or anything else we like to haul.
He really went to bat for us with Ford and got me an extended power train warranty for an additional 3 years/36k.
Don't take no for an answer - be on the customer support line everyday and tell them to escalate the issue.

Truck drives very nice now but the new transmission has a high pitched whine. Dealer told me all the newer 10 speeds do that.
Hmmm?

Best of luck --

Brian

I have never driven a truck that acts like this, your throttle and transmission response should be predictable and smooth. This is the first Ford I have ever owned that acts like this. My '15 with the 6speed was smooth responsive (upshifts/downshifts) in it's operation. The other Ford products, I have driven with the 10 spd have been smooth and responsive, including 2 Broncos, 2 F150 including a Raptor, Lincoln Navigator, 2 Lincoln Aviators. My only complaint was the one Lincoln Aviator had the so call normal transmission whine (but they all don't do it). The gas pedal and transmission should be smooth regardless of application of gas pedal. This is Fords program of the HD versions, plus possible hardware issues (valve body issues, etc). The reason I feel its Ford's programming, is that when cruising at highway speeds it is responsive and operates normal. You hit the gas it downshifts and goes. Now my weird 8,9,10 shifts just started acting weird this year as the weather warmed and it only does it occasionally, which I could personally live with.

Self admit, I like to drive it like spirited at times, as I like the feel of acceleration, did this in my '05 and my '15 with a smile on my face. This thing is just not fun to drive in my opinion. If you want to just drive it around like normal, I'm sure its perfectly fine. However, I should not be getting harsh downshifts, to the point you feel like you are being rearended. This is with no throttle imput as your slowing. You should also not get a dead pedal after coming off speed with no throttle imput, to throttle imput. not fun feeling when no one is home. A couple of times, I thought the truck had stalled, it was so delayed.

The other thing I recently found out with this transmission, is Ford defuels the truck prior to shifting, my guess to save their transmission. You can definitely feel it as the truck rolls over for a second between shifts before power comes on again. I am going to ask the shop forman about this as I only saw this a the internet. Well that's my rant.
I think that the 'defueling' you mention is actually the torque converter unlocking prior to the shift. I have felt what you are talking about and I can see the RPMs rise a bit for the same speed when I feel it happening. I think most automatic transmissions do this, just not with engines with so much torque.

I think that the 'defueling' you mention is actually the torque converter unlocking prior to the shift. I have felt what you are talking about and I can see the RPMs rise a bit for the same speed when I feel it happening. I think most automatic transmissions do this, just not with engines with so much torque.
That might be, but I never noticed this on my '15.

Ford replaced my 22 transmission at 24k miles. We had barely had the truck a year when it failed. The symptoms were harsh shifts in the lower gears and skipping 5th gear. That day I tried to back it in to the driveway and it wouldn't go in to reverse. Over the first 24k miles it would occasionally shift hard or seem to slip. At first the dealer wasn't sure if it would be a rebuild or a replacement. I woulda raised hell if they recommended a rebuild. I'm at 30k now and get nervous when I experience anything seeming similar. My plan is to drive it 'til it dies, which is hopefully up in the high 100s. Big diesel trucks are not what they once were. I chalk this up to being a COVID build.

I now keep hearing in fb groups that on a 23 Ford eliminated gear skipping altogether, and transmission goes through every gear (at least during upshifts). I obviously dont know how much truth there is to that, nothing official from Ford.

I now keep hearing in fb groups that on a 23 Ford eliminated gear skipping altogether, and transmission goes through every gear (at least during upshifts). I obviously dont know how much truth there is to that, nothing official from Ford.
It's true I have 5k miles on my 23' 7.3. It's never skipped a gear. I test drove one other 23' and it also never skipped a gear. Idk about the 6.7's though.

Well so far after getting my TSB done I have seen a huge difference in performance of the throttle and transmission. I am not surprised they got away from skip shifting, it's one of the things I blame for bad shifting. Even before I had the TSB done my truck would shift a lot smoother in tow/haul mode, which eliminates skip shifting.

What?! so does it shift decently at low speeds? is this just programming?

Back