Transmission Cooler or is it?

toolman

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 f-250 TREMMOR 7.3
Ok all you Tremmor sharpies , got a thinker for ya. My 2021 Tremmor with a 7.3 has the usual 10-speed 10r140 tranny. Ford added a tranny cooler, but if
you watch the tranny temp, it will rise with engine temperature , depending on load/outdoor temp/etc/etc. to maybe 220 degrees or so before leveling off.
I'll guess ford put a thermostat somewhere in the tranny to allow this to heat up to their operating specs. Old school guys (guess i'm one of them), have
always taken steps to keep our tranny temps below 200 degrees, and most often, with proper care, the tranny will get a few extra years. Ford obviously
engineered it this way, but the big question is if anyone has found a way to lower the temps of the tranny's in our trucks. Any ideas??

Ok all you Tremmor sharpies , got a thinker for ya. My 2021 Tremmor with a 7.3 has the usual 10-speed 10r140 tranny. Ford added a tranny cooler, but if
you watch the tranny temp, it will rise with engine temperature , depending on load/outdoor temp/etc/etc. to maybe 220 degrees or so before leveling off.
I'll guess ford put a thermostat somewhere in the tranny to allow this to heat up to their operating specs. Old school guys (guess i'm one of them), have
always taken steps to keep our tranny temps below 200 degrees, and most often, with proper care, the tranny will get a few extra years. Ford obviously
engineered it this way, but the big question is if anyone has found a way to lower the temps of the tranny's in our trucks. Any ideas??
So for the new fluid and these 10 speeds you don’t want the temp lower. The fluid is designed to work at this temp. it Shifts rough below 180deg Because the fluid is not thin enough yet as it’s still cold. if the gauge is happy the tranny is happy With its temp.

It is a water/oil cooler that uses the engine coolant. Older trannys would often use an air/oil cooler to supplement, these do not. Ford does want this trans to get up to temp pretty quick and run hotter than the older trans...this new wiz fluid is supposed to handle some pretty extreme temps but I'm still a bit skeptical.

I think Ford also placed a thermostat on the transmission fluid circut. Usually not needed if you have a trans fluid/engine coolant heat exchanger, but for an externally mounted heat exchanger it would be necessary IF fluid temps had a minimum operating temperature.

I think the rough shifting when cold is due to higher pump pressures, either due to more viscous fluid or this bypass being active.

If I recall, there’s another thread where someone stated the Trans actually has a heater to help get it (fluid) “up” to operating temp quicker. I know for mine, it’s smoother if I wait 20-30 seconds after start before shifting into gear.

Last edited:
There is starting to be more good reads (threads) on this but it seems as these tranny's are designed to run much hotter than the old school ones. The high-tech fancy fluid was designed to run much hotter. If you've noticed, they have "lifetime" transmission fluid (what does that even mean, lifetime?) and don't even have a trans dip-stick. They must REALLY not want the wrong fluid in the trans.

I have about 4k miles on mine 2021 7.3l, towing a 5th wheel and normal driving. I've noticed when I jump in the truck start it and drive off the truck seems to "jump," when placing into drive, but letting it idle for a moment I get a smooth drive gear engagement. I also read somewhere that the normal operating temperature was higher than the normal. If I remember correctly 220 was the magic number.

Looks like you've got the consensus from the previous answers. I'm with you on the old school gut reaction, been driving trucks around 45 years now. I try to look at the temp thing like a heavy duty hydraulic system, such as on an excavator or something like that. They tend to run quite hot when you work them. I believe these new transmissions are very much designed for a specific temperature range and that is much higher than traditional. If I'm not mistaken, there's a heat exchanger on the transmission fluid line that's tied in with the engine coolant. The purpose of this is to speed up the heating of the transmission fluid to designed operating temperature.

There's a lot of new tech in these trucks, and the transmission is no exception. The fluid specified was designed specifically for this application. ? MERCON® ULV Part number XT-12-QULV

Looks like you've got the consensus from the previous answers. I'm with you on the old school gut reaction, been driving trucks around 45 years now. I try to look at the temp thing like a heavy duty hydraulic system, such as on an excavator or something like that. They tend to run quite hot when you work them. I believe these new transmissions are very much designed for a specific temperature range and that is much higher than traditional. If I'm not mistaken, there's a heat exchanger on the transmission fluid line that's tied in with the engine coolant. The purpose of this is to speed up the heating of the transmission fluid to designed operating temperature.

There's a lot of new tech in these trucks, and the transmission is no exception. The fluid specified was designed specifically for this application. ? MERCON® ULV Part number XT-12-QULV

When I got our expedition I noticed the transmission got up to 220 and was concerned something was wrong. However, like everyone has said that is perfectly normal for these machines. We have always considered 212-215 (engine)hot and had a cooling issue. So when our new tractor ran up to 220 I thought for sure something was wrong, but nope they don’t even consider it hot until around 250 engine temp, at least according to John Deere. Seems the old school of thought is not really applying to new equipment, cars, or trucks in some ways, at least that’s what I’m finding out.

Back