TPMS w/ Orange tire won’t go away

finz50

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Military
USAF
Current Ride
2006 2500HD
Just got a low tire/TMPS warning. Filled the tires up to 65 PSI. Still getting a warning and it won’t go away after during probably 30 miles. Not sure why my right rear tire is orange and the rest look normal. I’m driving on a road trip but my kid looked through the owners manual and said he didn’t see anything about the tire being orange. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3B88108E-B5CD-42B8-A0D2-737C424CA995.jpeg
    3B88108E-B5CD-42B8-A0D2-737C424CA995.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 115
Just got a low tire/TMPS warning. Filled the tires up to 65 PSI. Still getting a warning and it won’t go away after during probably 30 miles. Not sure why my right rear tire is orange and the rest look normal. I’m driving on a road trip but my kid looked through the owners manual and said he didn’t see anything about the tire being orange. Thanks in advance.
Its likely the right rear tire got below the threshold to trigger the low pressure warning. Once it’s done so, it will stay triggered until it’s brought back to at least the set pressure.

Assuming you haven’t changed it in ForScan check your door jamb for the factory pressure for the rear tires. Will likely be 75 or 80 psi depending on the model year of your truck.

Once it’s up to pressure, drive it for a bit and the warning should go away.

I’ve been driving with all 4 tires with 60 to 65 psi and have not had this problem til now. I wonder if it’s a bad TPMS sensor maybe?

I’ve been driving with all 4 tires with 60 to 65 psi and have not had this problem til now. I wonder if it’s a bad TPMS sensor maybe?
Rear tires at 60 psi is going to be super close to tripping the TPMS warning. A comparatively cold day (particularly relevant as we head into winter) could be enough to drop the pressure to the point of tripping the TPMS.

Anything is possible, but easiest diagnostic step is to inflate the rear tires to factory spec and see if the warning goes away.

Worth noting that if it is a result of the TPMS tripping, it’s easy to change the threshold in Forscan so you don’t need to worry about it in the future.

Rear tires at 60 psi is going to be super close to tripping the TPMS warning. A comparatively cold day (particularly relevant as we head into winter) could be enough to drop the pressure to the point of tripping the TPMS.

Anything is possible, but easiest diagnostic step is to inflate the rear tires to factory spec and see if the warning goes away.
I think it is a 15% undershoot factor. A little below 60 would set off the rear. I believe you are correct that it has to get back to 70 to turn it off...

Yes that is true. Ran 60/65 since I got the truck, the 60 psi dropped below the threshold one fine cold morning, and it wouldn‘t go away until I inflated back to 70 psi all around. Gotta get into it with Forscan one of these days….

Sure as shit I had to fill them up over 70 to reset them. Still curious why only the one tire showed orange but whatever. It worked out. Thanks.

Sure as shit I had to fill them up over 70 to reset them. Still curious why only the one tire showed orange but whatever. It worked out. Thanks.
Glad it worked for you!

You can use forscan to set them to whatever psi you want. I run way lower than what the door says since I don't tow on a daily basis.

Put of curiosity what PSI do you run on your daily driver for the best mpg?

Put of curiosity what PSI do you run on your daily driver for the best mpg?
I'm running 50psi (cold) at all four corners. TPMS threshold set to 40psi.

Back