Towing a Fifth Wheel RV (Noob)

Johnson5P2BR9

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Military
Army
Current Ride
2017 Ford Raptor
Hey all! Looking to join the Tremor club! I'll be converting over from a 2017 F150 Raptor and of course I loved it so much I have to upgrade to the "raptor" that can actually tow heavy lol

I've been doing my research and have read a few threads regarding towing but would like some clarification I guess because I'm a noob when it comes to towing RVs

The Fifth Wheel in question is a Crossroads Cameo 3921BR

Hitch Weight: 2334
Dry Weight: 11928
GVWR: 15400

Can the Tremor handle it? I know it seems to be at its limits of close to 15,000lbs. What about the hitch weight? Do I have to forego the have it all of wanting to be able to offroad and tow? The RV would be the heaviest thing I would tow with intentions to get a boat in a few years but I know it should be able to handle a 6-8000lbs boat easily.

Last but not least, What is the best fifth wheel "Hitch" for the Tremor? I read the bed height could pose an issue so make sure to get a specific setup? Can anyone point me in the right direction and sliding vs non-sliding?

Thanks! looking forward to a possible Tremor future!

I just weighed my 2022 F350 tremor 2 months ago w wife, 2 small kids, 2 dogs, B&W slider hitch, and a few things in our truck (we full time RV as of Sept 21'). Our axle weights were:
Front: 4980 lbs
Rear: 3880 lbs.

My door sticker GAWR capacities are:
Front: 5200 lbs
Rear: 6830 lbs

Giving me a max pin capacity of 2950 lbs (6830-3880). This would need to take into account a loaded trailer, so don't max it out with the trailer spec. My rated trailer pin weight is 1893 lbs but with cargo is 2440 lbs.

I was a newb before then so went w the RV dealer recommendation and got a B&W Sliding hitch for my short bed. It's removable but weights a couple hundred pounds. I haven't needed my slider in over a dozen campgrounds (about half back in). If I were to do it again, I'd buy an Anderson Hitch which is about 40 lbs, or some other gooseneck system. There's some negative reviews about Anderson hitches due to the having catastrophic failures during accidents, but Ive read they've made improvements and accidents are going to suck regardless. It'd be nice to easily have my bed for regular use when not towing. They make different heights and offsets for bed height and short beds. If you don't get a slider, you'll want to test out your maximum turn angle so you know what it is ahead of time. See 35:51 in this video:

Also, I recently bought some yellow SumoSprings and that made an improvement in ride quality while towing. Some people install sway bars too.

For my 5th wheel I bought the Furrion 3 camera system and never use the side cameras. The back one is nice to have though.

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_205704.jpg
    IMG_20220115_205704.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20211124_110610.jpg
    20211124_110610.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hey all! Looking to join the Tremor club! I'll be converting over from a 2017 F150 Raptor and of course I loved it so much I have to upgrade to the "raptor" that can actually tow heavy lol

I've been doing my research and have read a few threads regarding towing but would like some clarification I guess because I'm a noob when it comes to towing RVs

Can the Tremor handle it? I know it seems to be at its limits of close to 15,000lbs. What about the hitch weight? Do I have to forego the have it all of wanting to be able to offroad and tow? The RV would be the heaviest thing I would tow with intentions to get a boat in a few years but I know it should be able to handle a 6-8000lbs boat easily.

Last but not least, What is the best fifth wheel "Hitch" for the Tremor? I read the bed height could pose an issue so make sure to get a specific setup? Can anyone point me in the right direction and sliding vs non-sliding?

With the dry weights you shared you will be within the truck's capabilities. The payload capacity you need is possible as long as you get the truck equipped right. The more options you get the lower your payload capacity drops. It is wise to leave yourself a significant amount of margin. You will be surprised at how heavy your gear and supplies added to the truck and trailer will push the limit for you.

Welcome! Here is a good summary of ratings. With a 5er you have higher than 15k towing capacity depending on your build configuration:

You are going to want a 350 for the payload rating ESPECIALLY if you want to get a diesel.

Lets say you get a diesel 250, your payload rating would probably be pretty close to your estimated hitch weight since you cant(as far as I know) get the high capacity tow package with the Tremor... That gets you a 10800 GVWR vs. 10k. You would likely end up in the 22-2300lb payload range in a diesel 250 tremor...

A diesel 350 gets you an 11500 GVWR... so that 2300lb payload rating in a diesel 250 suddenly goes to like 3700lbs... because the truck weights dont actually change.... So now you are COMFORTABLY inside your legal payload rating with room to spare for all the crap you bring along...

AND that 2300lb hitch rating is DRY...

Get that trailer up to its 15.4k GVWR and now you are over 3k on the pin...

350 territory...

I just weighed my 2022 F350 tremor 2 months ago w wife, 2 small kids, 2 dogs, B&W slider hitch, and a few things in our truck (we full time RV as of Sept 21'). Our axle weights were:
Front: 4980 lbs
Rear: 3880 lbs.

My door sticker GAWR capacities are:
Front: 5200 lbs
Rear: 6830 lbs

Giving me a max pin capacity of 2950 lbs (6830-3880).
GVWR and GAWR both determine your max payload. I think your max pin is more like 2640 (assuming 11500 GVWR). The combination of both axle ratings is always more than the GVWR of a truck, AFAIK.

IMHO pushing the upper limits of towing and payload capacities with a large enclosed trailer isn't a good idea. Unless you are towing very infrequently and can plan your trips to avoid traffic, bad weather, bad roads or terrain, etc. There are also potential legal issues with licensing when you approach the magic 26000 lb number. You can probably stay under the limits/ratings depending on your configuration, but it might take some effort. It all boils down to how much risk you are willing to take.

I'd advise looking at AirSafe or Gen-Y for improving your ride.
AirSafes are popular with the Airstreamers. They're not 5ers but
the technology is the same: an adjustable air bag. The Gen-Y
appeals because it relies on rubber baby buggy bumpers and
appears more stout to me. Gen-Y has a very good reputation
for customer service.

As to the advantage of a 'slider' hitch many 5ers have clipped
corners which greatly reduce the chance of dinging your cab.

BTW, that's a lot of 5er for your first. You might want to consider
a bit smaller one. Aside from the obvious size issues it will limit
your camping options.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, I highly recommend considering the F350 6.7 diesel. I currently own an '21 F250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor w/7.3L gas engine. I pull a 38' Bighorn 5W that specs at 12k dry weight/16k GVW and a 2800 lb. pin (loaded). The F250 tows fine with minimal squat (maybe 2 in., but level). However, I'm always seemingly close on several important weight ratings: GVWR (10K lbs), Rear GAWR (6400 lbs), and payload (2800 lbs). Too close for my comfort, so I recently ordered an '22 F350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 6.7L. As many have commented here and in many other threads on this forum, the vehicles are essentially the same with the only difference being in the weight rating stickers. Yes, that's idiotic for sure. Still, this is important for many reasons, all cited in these threads (safety, liability, etc.).

Recommend using this site to help you do some figuring on weights. Of course, nothing better than getting on the scales to get actual weights, but hard to do before you own the RV. https://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/new-tow-calc.aspx

Good luck.

A diesel 350 gets you an 11500 GVWR... so that 2300lb payload rating in a diesel 250 suddenly goes to like 3700lbs

I think that 3700 is a little too high. I don't think we've seen someone here with a 3700 pound payload capacity on the diesel. I think that'd need to be a pretty sparsely optioned truck to get that high.

I’d pay more attention to what the tire rating is than anything else. DOT isn’t going to care about payload.
Tire ratings exceed basically all other relevant ratings. DOT probably won't even care about that unless you are over 26k GVWR because they won't weigh you. Unless you're in an accident and somebody is trying to prove you were being reckless, that is.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend considering the F350 6.7 diesel. I currently own an '21 F250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor w/7.3L gas engine. I pull a 38' Bighorn 5W that specs at 12k dry weight/16k GVW and a 2800 lb. pin (loaded). The F250 tows fine with minimal squat (maybe 2 in., but level). However, I'm always seemingly close on several important weight ratings: GVWR (10K lbs), Rear GAWR (6400 lbs), and payload (2800 lbs). Too close for my comfort, so I recently ordered an '22 F350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 6.7L. As many have commented here and in many other threads on this forum, the vehicles are essentially the same with the only difference being in the weight rating stickers. Yes, that's idiotic for sure. Still, this is important for many reasons, all cited in these threads (safety, liability, etc.).

Recommend using this site to help you do some figuring on weights. Of course, nothing better than getting on the scales to get actual weights, but hard to do before you own the RV. https://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/new-tow-calc.aspx

Good luck.

A 350 Tremor buys you no actual capability over a 250. It might reduce legal concerns or liability, but paradoxically might increase them. On the other hand 6.7 definitely increases capability vs 7.3, but also impacts liability/legal concerns.

You will have no trouble with your proposed rig! Either gas or diesel! I have this 2021 GD Solitude FL380, it is 41'6" long 16,800 with just over 3,000 lbs at the pin. You can see my 350 Tremor has a bit of squat and that is with yellow sumo bags. I added a rear sway bar kit which helps out too.
I have a Curt sliding hitch 20K base with the 24K head. its a heavy beast but I trust it. I had a Reese in the last truck and it got the job done but was not built as well as this one. It just drops in with the puck design so you pull the levers and lift it out.
IMG_8269.jpeg
IMG_4816.jpeg
IMG_4817.jpeg

All I know about payload rating is if you get into an accident and are determined to be over RATED payload or GVWR numbers...expect your insurance to tell you to fuck off. I know my insurance broker told me mine would...

But the OP and others can do what they want. I think MOST of us understand there is zero real difference in the truck except the sticker, but an insurance company wont buy that argument.
I think that 3700 is a little too high. I don't think we've seen someone here with a 3700 pound payload capacity on the diesel. I think that'd need to be a pretty sparsely optioned truck to get that high.

OBVIOUSLY that number was just pulled out of my ass as a demonstration of the increase in payload rating from a 10k GVWR F250 to a 11.5k GVWR of an F350... You gain that extra GVWR number basically straight to payload.

3700 is the max possible for the chassis. Probably needs to be a gasser regular cab 2wd xl or xlt. Which isnt a popular choice outside of commercial or fleet applications. That being said higher payload does not necessarily equal greater towing capacity(the diesel increases towing capacity but reduces payload for example).

My platinum tremor 6.7 F350 is 3327 payload. No moonroof(saves about 200lbs).

Last edited:

So in a 250 I would expect that number to be in the ~2000 range then with the difference in GVWR... What is the GVWR of your F350 tremor? Is it 11.5k like a non tremor 6.7 F350 would be or is it a smaller number?

From what I've seen, a Lariat F250 with the 6.7 and High Capacity Package gives you about 2700lb payload. Add about another 700lb for a F350, so roughly 3400lb.

If I end up ever getting a 5th wheel, I'd probably go with the Gen Y Torison Goose Neck coupler setup.

So in a 250 I would expect that number to be in the ~2000 range then with the difference in GVWR... What is the GVWR of your F350 tremor? Is it 11.5k like a non tremor 6.7 F350 would be or is it a smaller number?

11500 gvwr

You will have no trouble with your proposed rig! Either gas or diesel! I have this 2021 GD Solitude FL380, it is 41'6" long 16,800 with just over 3,000 lbs at the pin. You can see my 350 Tremor has a bit of squat and that is with yellow sumo bags. I added a rear sway bar kit which helps out too.
I have a Curt sliding hitch 20K base with the 24K head. its a heavy beast but I trust it. I had a Reese in the last truck and it got the job done but was not built as well as this one. It just drops in with the puck design so you pull the levers and lift it out.
View attachment 44128View attachment 44129View attachment 44130
@PapaRaptor that is quite the trailer but TOTALLY AWESOME nonetheless!

Payload in my platinum tremor 6.7 F350 with moonroof is 3260.

So with a F250 I am cutting it close on the Payload rating (Via sticker because insurance companies are @^&%#&^) and with the F350 I would be safer-ish albeit they are identical for towing capacities its just the sticker legalese in case of an accident if I understand correctly?

Back