Tesla Cybertruck - Exclusive Full Review

To add:
That’s actually not bad seeing combustion engine trucks lose about the same when towing a decent sized load. You figure a truck gets around 16mpg normally and then 8mpg loaded.
The difference is your range with full tank to start with. Depending on fuel tank size and engine being gas or diesel you’re getting 400-600 miles to a tank of fuel. Versus Cyber truck with tri motor listed at 300 miles with full charge. Taking 60% from 300 is a lot different than 400-600…When the Cyber truck first came to the public in 2019 I believe they were saying 500 miles of range for tri motor. If that would have came to fruition you could use the cyber truck as an actual truck.
Can you clarify the truck or engine here? 16 down to 8 seems pretty steep. My 7.3 gets 11 normally and 9.5 when towing 10K.

Can you clarify the truck or engine here? 16 down to 8 seems pretty steep. My 7.3 gets 11 normally and 9.5 when towing 10K.
Obviously people driving habits, geography, towing weight, and engine are key components which will alter numbers and why I said around.
My 6.7 would get “around 16” and when towing 12k would get 8-9. To note my trailer is toy hauler so giant rectangle on wheels. That being said I would be getting 10-11 before regen would drag down my mpg.
If you’re getting 11 you have a heavy foot and or lift with larger tires as I also had 7.3 and it got 13mpg and then again around 8-9 towing.
Point being the electric vehicle real problem is dry range. You wouldn’t hook up your trailer with 1/2-2/3 tank of gas and hit the road for long travel. With Tesla truck full battery only giving you 300 thats what it’s equivalent to.

Anyone else see this? I seen it shared somewhere and thought it was quite funny.

1701814314623.png

I was surprised by the payload, it's 2,500 pounds. That's more then my old RAM 2500 diesel had. It has a 11,000 pound towing capacity, but I'm sure the range has to be horrible if it was actually towing that amount or even a trailer 1/4 of that weight. I think the bed size is 4x6? However, If you want the "spare tire" option, that will take up most of the bed. I have some friends that have seen them driving around Austin, but I haven't yet.
I'm not surprised by the payload given it's running air suspension for the adjustable ride height, I think the bigger issue is unless you are hauling lead ingots, I dont see how you could fit remotely close to 2500lbs in the bed :ROFLMAO:

I feel like we can acknowledge that (at least on paper) the specs are pretty impressive, but at the same time recognize that it's still a massive steaming pile of shit... both things can be (and indeed are) true about the Cybertruck.

This thing will almost universally be purchased by completely insufferable trolls.

I had one almost hit me outside of Bastrop on Sunday.

This thing will almost universally be purchased by completely insufferable trolls.
I watched the release party and saw maybe 1 person picking up their new Cybertruck that actually looked like they knew what a truck is for. The others might put a bag of groceries in the bed like Jeremy Clarkson.

“Elon says it’s a truck so it must be a truck. Stainless steel panels and bulletproof glass, of course it makes sense” Morons!

Anyone else see this? I seen it shared somewhere and thought it was quite funny.

View attachment 136525
Ouch that is one expensive wheel and tire. Are they using a billet wheel?

I will be curious how his version of un-painted stainless steel handles magnesium chloride used on the roads around here. That stuff shows surface rusting on most raw stainless parts in just 1 winter without some sort of coating on it.

Have visions of patinaed mad max esque cyber trucks running around in a few years.

I'm not surprised by the payload given it's running air suspension for the adjustable ride height, I think the bigger issue is unless you are hauling lead ingots, I dont see how you could fit remotely close to 2500lbs in the bed :ROFLMAO:

I feel like we can acknowledge that (at least on paper) the specs are pretty impressive, but at the same time recognize that it's still a massive steaming pile of shit... both things can be (and indeed are) true about the Cybertruck.

Payload isn't just what goes in the bed....

I really don’t care for the design, and am not planning to make any moves going over to an electric platform for any of my vehicles, but the one thing that is impressive is the 48v architecture that Elon has figured out and executed. This is something car manufacturing has tried many times and failed over the years. So many benefits this will have on cost and efficiency.

When you think about it, it’s the same strategy Elon used to create electric car the segment: by starting with Roadster customers willing to pay for ridiculous performance. The low cost mass market models will come in time. But it still takes rich morons to make it all work :)

I really don’t care for the design, and am not planning to make any moves going over to an electric platform for any of my vehicles, but the one thing that is impressive is the 48v architecture that Elon has figured out and executed. This is something car manufacturing has tried many times and failed over the years. So many benefits this will have on cost and efficiency.
I never really understood why we haven't switched (other than physical size of batteries). The military has used 24V systems for decades.

In EVs it does make sense because you already have a big battery so physical size isn't really an issue. That said, I do find it comical most EVs have the large drive battery connected to/charging a standard 12v battery for all the electronics.

I never really understood why we haven't switched (other than physical size of batteries). The military has used 24V systems for decades.

In EVs it does make sense because you already have a big battery so physical size isn't really an issue. That said, I do find it comical most EVs have the large drive battery connected to/charging a standard 12v battery for all the electronics.
I think the biggest reason is the lack of 48V parts like seat motors, wiper motors, headlights, fuel pumps, etc... they are all common 12V, not sure how Tesla did it.

I think the biggest reason is the lack of 48V parts like seat motors, wiper motors, headlights, fuel pumps, etc... they are all common 12V, not sure how Tesla did it.
Curious how they did it too. Probably the reason the truck is 4-5 years behind schedule.

Curious how they did it too. Probably the reason the truck is 4-5 years behind schedule.
On 48V golf carts you can install a 48V-12V step down converter. I'm no electrical engineer but don't see why one of those couldn't be implemented at automotive OEM specifications.

On 48V golf carts you can install a 48V-12V step down converter. I'm no electrical engineer but don't see why one of those couldn't be implemented at automotive OEM specifications.
Exactly

Back