Suggestions on a rear swaybar

aclosedmind

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 Tremor Lariat Ultimate 7.3 BAP
Lots of discussion about swaybars for various purposes, but I couldn't find much on my specific question. I have a 2023 F250 gasser. I have no intention to change anything on the suspension except perhaps upgraded shocks when the time comes. I'm running stock wheels with stock-size Falken Wildpeaks. I don't rock crawl, don't have a 5th wheel, and rarely tow. I had added a rear swaybar to my previous 2021 F150 FX4 and appreciated the improvement in daily driving while not noticing any adverse side effects.

Opinions on adding a swaybar for a situation like mine? Suggestions of the best bar to pair with an otherwise stock setup?

Helpful suggestions to "keep it stock" or "save the money" or "if you're going to spend $300 you might as well spend $20k on a liquid spring setup"? :)

Hellwig offers a decent product if youre looking to add/upgrade swaybars.

Hellwig....not cheap but damn it works. Even better if you do the front and rear. Made my 2015 sit flat in any turns.

If you ever get a load in the bed or pull a trailer it's going to help..

The Hellwig is twice the cost of the factory. Given you don't 5th wheel much you're probably overkill with the cost/benefit ratio of the hellwig. I'd go stock if I were in your shoes.

HellWig has worked well for me. Its handling improvements alone are worth its investment.

The Hellwig is twice the cost of the factory. Given you don't 5th wheel much you're probably overkill with the cost/benefit ratio of the hellwig. I'd go stock if I were in your shoes.
I can't find the thread now that I saw where someone had put together a list of the Ford part #s for the factory rear bar but certainly would consider that vs aftermarket.

For Hellwig, I'm assuming part 7761 is the way to go

I can't find the thread now that I saw where someone had put together a list of the Ford part #s for the factory rear bar but certainly would consider that vs aftermarket.

Not sure on the part # for your truck. But fwiw when I put a rear swaybar on my 2010 there was two different options I believe. A regular fixed point swaybar which is a good fit for what you're doing it sounds. Or they offered the "big"wig kit and that was a slightly thicker bar(I believe) with adjustable mounting points on the sway bar so you can tune it to your preference.

To be candid, if your not towing heavy, if you get rid of the stock shocks and replace with Fox or Bilstein I'm confident you will find your sweet spot. Stock Tremor shocks are beyond terrible 😫 Numerous threads on here to support my statement.

I did not like the unladen ride with the factory sway bar. The rear suspension is really stiff and you only need a swaybar with a bed camper (which is why Ford only includes one with the camper package).

Shocks would be a better place to spend your money first. After that:

If your truck is a daily driver, there is no need to add a sway bar of any kind. Save your money.

If you just plain don't like the ride or occasionally tow. OEM sway bar is much cheaper and easy to install. That was my choice.

Appreciate the input! Message sent to Nick @ Apollo Optics who commented in another thread that he can make a deal on a set of Bilsteins

For the road I really like a truck with a rear sway bar even when empty and not towing. Less body roll (lean) just feels better to me. A sway bar does not make the ride harsher in most situations. If I were you I would get a factory bar from a truck like yours with the camper package.

I do agree with the suggestions to get Bilsteins. I Put Bilsteins on my Tremor as soon as I got it home. I have Bilsteins on five other vehicles that I own. When you put Bilsteins on you will wounder why you did not do it sooner.

For the road I really like a truck with a rear sway bar even when empty and not towing. Less body roll (lean) just feels better to me. A sway bar does not make the ride harsher in most situations. If I were you I would get a factory bar from a truck like yours with the camper package.

I do agree with the suggestions to get Bilsteins. I Put Bilsteins on my Tremor as soon as I got it home. I have Bilsteins on five other vehicles that I own. When you put Bilsteins on you will wounder why you did not do it sooner.
I'm confused with what you said? You bought a Tremor, an off road package, then you add a sway bar which is going to limit articulation when off road. I'm not talking about aggressive off roading. Say you leave the road and cross a slight ditch at an angle, that sway bar is going to affect whether or not all 4 wheels stay on the ground. With what OP is talking about I think he should do shocks first to see if that solves his issue. Tremor shocks are terrible, good investment to do first, then try sway bar if the issue persists.

Non-mechanic here, but noticed Carli doesn't offer a rear sway bar; I have the front one...didn't realize there was a rear? :oops:

I'm confused with what you said? You bought a Tremor, an off road package, then you add a sway bar which is going to limit articulation when off road. I'm not talking about aggressive off roading. Say you leave the road and cross a slight ditch at an angle, that sway bar is going to affect whether or not all 4 wheels stay on the ground. With what OP is talking about I think he should do shocks first to see if that solves his issue. Tremor shocks are terrible, good investment to do first, then try sway bar if the issue persists.
I have no plans to put a sway bar on my Tremor, but my other two F-350s have them because they have camper packages and they do feel better in cornering dynamics on pavement. All three have Bilsteins. From what the OP wants to do with his truck, I think he would like a rear sway bar. I agree that he will loose articulation. I agree with putting Bilsteins on in any case.

The sway bar is not hard to take on and off. Try it both ways. I think that you can probably remove one link and in effect have no sway bar. Go back and forth.

Non-mechanic here, but noticed Carli doesn't offer a rear sway bar; I have the front one...didn't realize there was a rear? :oops:
Probably because sway bars are more for on road cornering dynamics and hurt off road performance because they reduce articulation. I think that the Carli front bar is actually smaller (softer, less effect) than the stock bar. For rock crawling I don't think you would ever want any sway bars at all.

Sway bars are a tuning thing. Different applications want different sway bar stiffness.

I put the factory sway bar on my '23 because I occasionally travel with a camper. I leave it on all the time. Fairly reasonably priced and easy to install. I have not tried the aftermarket bars but I am guessing the factory bar is not as stiff. It rides like a heavy duty truck and I am completely fine with it.

Edit: Also, all the mounting points are already there for the factory bar.

Last edited:
I put on a Hellwig sway bar last year. Really helped towing and not towing thru corners. Recommend for non-serious off roaders.
Cheers 🍻

Back