Speed wobble

NOXCUSE

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Ford F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
1971 Datsun 240Z
Had it happen to me today taking a generous curve on the highway while changing lanes. Was weird…normal in the 250 Tremors? Almost felt like the tires were too narrow.

Happens all too frequently in all F250's and higher. Usually the steering knuckles and stabilizer joints. Replace them now. It will only get worse.

Check or have your front end checked. This is common on most solid axle trucks.

Had it happen to me today taking a generous curve on the highway while changing lanes. Was weird…normal in the 250 Tremors? Almost felt like the tires were too narrow.
Have you modified anything on the suspension? How many miles is on the truck? How has the truck been driven, any hard core off-roading? The reason I ask these questions is because despite what others are saying, this has been rarely experienced by folks here on the forum. Yes it does happen, usually steering linkage wear related, but your truck is very new. It has been known to occur on trucks that have suspension mods. It can also be caused by improper alignment. If the suspension has been modified, alignment will also have to be adjusted. Any looseness in linkage joints is the first thing to look for. Alignment is next. Don't try to fix it with a different steering stabilizer, that's just addressing a symptom not the real problem. This has been discussed a lot but again, few have experienced it on there new trucks.

Have you modified anything on the suspension? How many miles is on the truck? How has the truck been driven, any hard core off-roading? The reason I ask these questions is because despite what others are saying, this has been rarely experienced by folks here on the forum. Yes it does happen, usually steering linkage wear related, but your truck is very new. It has been known to occur on trucks that have suspension mods. It can also be caused by improper alignment. If the suspension has been modified, alignment will also have to be adjusted. Any looseness in linkage joints is the first thing to look for. Alignment is next. Don't try to fix it with a different steering stabilizer, that's just addressing a symptom not the real problem. This has been discussed a lot but again, few have experienced it on there new trucks.
I would be interested in hear what you think the real problem is…and what proof do you have to arrive with your Analysis.

I worked on the mh53e and the pitch control rod bearings would go bad all the time, so I started spraying them with vvl (wd40 basically) and over the course of 6mons I only had to change like 5... Instead of 50.

All that said, linkages wear and will eventually go bad. If they are dirty and or poorly lubricated, they will wear quickly. I lubricated my joints at 7500mi and plan to continue to do so and every car wash, I'm going to spray the linkages... Do not go by people on here don't have this issue. I've seen a brand new '04 ram have death wobble within 25k miles with a/t tires... Our trucks come stock with that.

Take it to a dealer, have them take measurements to figure out what linkages are bad and have them replaced.

As others have said, check your front end components/alignment, however your truck is new and most likely was just a little bump steer which is normal in all straigt axle vehicles. As long as the truck corrected itself right away you should be good.

I would be interested in hear what you think the real problem is…and what proof do you have to arrive with your Analysis.
Plenty of examples of each point I referred to, both here on the Forum and on other truck forums. Most likely an alignment problem. Truck is very new and the problem of factory misalignments has been discussed at length. In trucks with significant mileage on the clock, steering rod end wear is common and usually results in steering wobble issues. Any play in the steering system will show up as wobble. Some have struggled with steering wobble after installing lift systems. This is because they failed to make the proper adjustments to alignment and linkage connections required because of angular changes to the front suspension.

Being the OP's truck is so new and he didn't mention any suspension mods, I would suspect alignment issues. But the factory has been know to install faulty steering linkage, so I would have that checked as well during the alignment check.

Also this was a one time occurrence and we don't know how severe it was, so there may actually be nothing at all wrong with his truck.

Last edited:
The simple fact that there‘s no mention of aftermarket changes to suspension, steering, etc. could signal there have been changes made to factory equipment and specs. I agree that it could happen (bad parts installed at factory) but also agree that it would be quite rare on a stock truck new from the factory. It did happen to some folks when the new Wrangler JL came out. Occurred more frequently when 37’s and 4” of lift were added. But then, I’d like to believe Ford isn’t Fiat, but I could be wrong. Death wobble in Fords? Now we know we’re doomed.

Back