Right mirror issues with folding (in and out)

Well, my turn for this. Passenger mirror will sometimes fold, sometimes won’t. Haven’t figured out the pattern. When it does fold it’s slower than the driver’s mirror.

Just out of the bumper to bumper warranty, too, so now I’m on the hook for a $250 deductible through my auto insurance (mechanical breakdown insurance).

Where have folks landed on this? Seems like it’s not worth trying to go aftermarket and best to just have the factory mirror replaced?

Well, my turn for this. Passenger mirror will sometimes fold, sometimes won’t. Haven’t figured out the pattern. When it does fold it’s slower than the driver’s mirror.

Just out of the bumper to bumper warranty, too, so now I’m on the hook for a $250 deductible through my auto insurance (mechanical breakdown insurance).

Where have folks landed on this? Seems like it’s not worth trying to go aftermarket and best to just have the factory mirror replaced?
I’ve found that having the engine running for at least 5-10 seconds on initial startup will get the sluggish one to fold more reliably. Not worth replacing at this time, as it will happen again.

Doing some bench testing on a broken take off mirror from eBay, it seems the folding motors would function better if we fed them 16 volts all the time.

Reactions: ccw
I’ve found that having the engine running for at least 5-10 seconds on initial startup will get the sluggish one to fold more reliably. Not worth replacing at this time, as it will happen again.
Good point. Will experiment more with the engine running. Have another 60k miles of mechanical breakdown insurance still, so another 3-4 years, for if (when) it fails completely.

Good point. Will experiment more with the engine running. Have another 60k miles of mechanical breakdown insurance still, so another 3-4 years, for if (when) it fails completely.
Updated my post.

Reactions: ccw
Updated my post.

Doing some bench testing on a broken take off mirror from eBay, it seems the folding motors would function better if we fed them 16 volts all the time.
Ohh so you’re thinking you’ll have a solution in the future by doing a permanently installed voltage boost. I’m here for it.

Probably off topic but has anyone experienced problems with them telescoping inward/outward?

Ohh so you’re thinking you’ll have a solution in the future by doing a permanently installed voltage boost. I’m here for it.
Possibly! Got at least 2 more products I want to start and finish first.

Possibly! Got at least 2 more products I want to start and finish first.
lol true.

Probably off topic but has anyone experienced problems with them telescoping inward/outward?
I haven’t, albeit it’s not something I do frequently.

Now that you mentioned it, I should add telescoping the mirrors to my regular services.

lol true.

I haven’t, albeit it’s not something I do frequently.

Now that you mentioned it, I should add telescoping the mirrors to my regular services.
Same thing happens to me and thruthfully, I have only telescoped them a handful of times. Last time I went to telescope them, they wouldn't budge until later that day and vice versa when bringing them back in that night. This is where the electrical gizmos become more of a pain than a benefit.

Same thing happens to me and thruthfully, I have only telescoped them a handful of times. Last time I went to telescope them, they wouldn't budge until later that day and vice versa when bringing them back in that night. This is where the electrical gizmos become more of a pain than a benefit.
Indeed. Though credit to Ford, they seem to design them to support manual override in this case.

Based on my own research and experience, it is a battery voltage issue. Meaning the charge level is down enough that the right mirror is having problems. Or in other words - the right mirror is the first indicator of a lower than normal battery charge. The issue goes away the moment the engine is running or the truck has been driven for at least 15-20 miles.

Mine only does it when it’s in direct sunlight and hot out. It is the drivers side mirror though. I took it to the dealership in November before my warranty was up and they ‘reset’ the mirrors. They both seem to be working smoothly now, but of course it’s hasn’t been “hot” enough to trigger the malfunction either.

Dealer replaced my passenger one under warranty. At 34k miles and about 14 months I bit the bullet and bought the 7year 175k premium bumper to bumper. new mirror mechanism would have been $1150 plus install otherwise

Dealer replaced my passenger one under warranty. At 34k miles and about 14 months I bit the bullet and bought the 7year 175k premium bumper to bumper. new mirror mechanism would have been $1150 plus install otherwise
What price tag did that extra warranty have?

I never did look at extended warranty but that is certainly premium coverage.

What price tag did that extra warranty have?

I never did look at extended warranty but that is certainly premium coverage.
6,300 ish. I waited until the end so I have to pay a $100 deductible.

6,300 ish. I waited until the end so I have to pay a $100 deductible.
Ouch!

Hope you break a leg and get your monies worth!

I can see a transmission failure in the far future, right around... 172,500K :ROFLMAO:

Ouch!

Hope you break a leg and get your monies worth!

I can see a transmission failure in the far future, right around... 172,500K :ROFLMAO:
At this point, I would rather pay for it and not need it vs wish I had it and not paid for it. Also I did have half my cab, doors and entire tailgate repainted in an epic disaster.

And my driver side has failed now 3 times.

Back