Replacing stock shocks

I've done a bit more digging and here's what I got so far.

I don't need the performance or cost of remote reservoir shocks, they are overkill for me.
I'd really like shocks that are adjustable.
These 2 things seem to be counter to each other. You only get adjustability when you get to high end remote shocks.
The only shock that fits what I'm look for is the Rancho 9000's.
But yuck, they seem cheap and gimmicky.
I wish Fox or Bilstein made something similar to the 9000's.

I don't need the performance or cost of remote reservoir shocks, they are overkill for me.
These 2 things seem to be counter to each other. You only get adjustability when you get to high end remote shocks.
Glad to see you are researching for the application you are looking for. To just have some say I like these and I don't like those is just not the way to go about it. Every shock is designed for a purpose or application. Each truck is a little different in that they are equipped differently and they are used differently. Based on what I've read some of the more basic designs like twin tube gas filled shocks are more durable and perform better in a lot of applications. Good luck in your search and help us all to better understand what you are learning in the process. 🍻

I don't have a recommendation for you specifically. However, I have had Rancho 9000's in the past and you're correct. Cheap and gimmicky. Did not like them. Didn't matter the "setting". I have Bilstein 5100's on my Dodge and they were a big improvement. I like them. However, I am not saying that they are better than stock Tremor shocks. I don't have that comparison on my Ford.
Good luck on your choice.

I agree with your assessment of the Rancho 9000's, I put a set of those on my old 99 with camper shell and at the time, was a big improvement over the stock shocks. I particularly did not like the soft ride OEMs provided. The Ranchos were stiffer in turns, but if I hit a deep divot, I could lose control if not holding on tightly to the steering wheel. (All suspension parts were up to par) I replaced them with Billstein 5100's and was super happy. My "practice divot" no longer ruled the steering position.

The Tremor shocks are OK for me right now, and possibly made by Fox I hear, but no shock lasts forever. So, when these wear out, I will look at Bilstein's again. Fox may be nice but way too much money and likely won't last any longer than the Bilstein's.

I'm looking at replacing my stock tremor shocks.
Not looking to lift the truck.
Not going with bigger tires.
Not doing any kind of extreme offroad.

Just looking for a good/better replacement shock.
Any recommendations, thoughts, jokes?
I purchased the bilstein 5165. Lots of discussion on another forum about tremor shocks . Pulling a 3,000 lb. boat I felt the stock shocks needed replacing. I’m happy with the upgrade and do not feel they are to stiff when truck is empty and not towing.

Bilstein 5100
Fox 2.0

I will be upgrading my truck to either of these.
Not sure if the Fox2.0’s are worth double the cost.
Had them on my Jeep and wasn’t to impressed. But I do like the Falcons I put on my Jeep.
Take a look at the Bilstein 5160's as well. I have those on my truck and love them

The Falcon Sport E-Tow/Haul look very interesting. But not available yet???
Don't really need adjustability on the front shock, but really want it on the rears.
This is the first time I've seen that combo. Really makes sense.

Which brings up this thought.
How about running Bilstein 5100 on the front and 5160's on the rear.
Has anyone done that combo before?

The Falcon Sport E-Tow/Haul look very interesting. But not available yet???
Don't really need adjustability on the front shock, but really want it on the rears.
This is the first time I've seen that combo. Really makes sense.

Which brings up this thought.
How about running Bilstein 5100 on the front and 5160's on the rear.
Has anyone done that combo before?
Why do you want to adjust the rear?

Not exactly sure what’s wrong with the factory shocks. They’re made for beefy ass truck to begin with, meaning they’re quite heavy duty. I’ve had f250 off road work trucks and beat the hell out of them and they never failed. I have a 4 wheel camper on my Tremor and I don’t even feel it. Until they fail, I’m happy with my stock shocks personally.

Load vs unload. Carrying a truck camper.
Adjustable shock may allow me to run without a rear swaybar and retain better offroad ability.
Shocks do very little to stiffen the ride. Shocks are for dampening.
If you have a truck camper I would highly suggest a sway bar. But if you really want adjustability add rear air bags. They will help way more than any shock will.

Not exactly sure what’s wrong with the factory shocks. They’re made for beefy ass truck to begin with, meaning they’re quite heavy duty. I’ve had f250 off road work trucks and beat the hell out of them and they never failed. I have a 4 wheel camper on my Tremor and I don’t even feel it. Until they fail, I’m happy with my stock shocks personally.
Just like there is nothing wrong with the stock tires. But people replace them with better.

Stock will is fine. But aftermarket is better.

Just like there is nothing wrong with the stock tires. But people replace them with better.

Stock will is fine. But aftermarket is better.
I agree, I love my tires

4E9D0E37-752B-4549-A820-DBA5CC7B8AD2.jpeg

Top to bottom:
Carli - King piggyback
Ford - standard Superduty
One Up Offroad - Radflo Double Bypass
One Up Offroad - Radflo Reservoir
Ford - Tremor

We’ve tested a lot of shocks, taken them apart, checked their valving (shim stacks, tubing/hose sizes) and found that the OEM Tremor shock has amazing valving and an internal bypass/stop - see the bulge on the bottom.

The heavy trucks require very little compression dampening and tons of rebound control. You can easily push the Tremor shock down, but really struggle to pull it out. That means it’s working.

Nearly all of the aftermarket shocks have increased dampening, creating a rougher ride. Our spring rates are so high we don’t need any more dampening.

While the shocks don’t carry and load, it can create a harsher ride with more dampening.

One Up Offroad has figured out a way to replicate the plush ride and rebound control of the Tremor shock with their specific Superduty shocks.

Has anyone running the B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch attempted to replace the factory passenger rear shock? Looks to me like it will require uninstallation - to a point - of the B&W. Not looking forward to that project.

Has anyone running the B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch attempted to replace the factory passenger rear shock? Looks to me like it will require uninstallation - to a point - of the B&W. Not looking forward to that project.
Yes, you will need something like this to not have to uninstall the hitch. Just note that it is still a pain to remove the shock with this bracket so it would be easier to remove the bracket as well, which is only two bolts. Also, note you will have to cut the stock shock mount off. Oh, and if you order they do take about a month to ship. I am guessing they make them to order.

Yes, you will need something like this to not have to uninstall the hitch. Just note that it is still a pain to remove the shock with this bracket so it would be easier to remove the bracket as well, which is only two bolts. Also, note you will have to cut the stock shock mount off. Oh, and if you order they do take about a month to ship. I am guessing they make them to order.

Thanks for the info! What a pain!

Back