Rear differential

Mac1

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 tremor
2022 250 with the 4.30 ratio (the dana m275 right?)is the bottom right cover bolt also a drain. I am going to be changing the gear oil and saw this might be a thing. If I can avoid taking the cover off I will. If not is there a new seal you have to buy or just get some rtv?

I just used some thread tape on the bolt after I changed the oil. No leaks.

I watch Arod's videos and cringe when he uses his impact guns for tightening covers, pans,etc.

It's too bad Ford doesn't have a drain plug for the diff. (I'm not sure if one of the cover bolts is a drain) Another thing I miss coming from Toyota. When mine is due for lube service, I will likely replace the cover with a Banks or weld a bung to the stock cover.

The rear diff does have a drain plug. The lower bolt is the drain plug. Some teflon tape on the bolt seals it perfectly after draining.

It's a good idea to change the rear diff oil very early as it begins to break in. Lots of metal gets worn off and is suspended in the oil. That metal is hard steel from the gear teeth and it is going through the bearings as you drive. A good first change is at about 500 miles. Then again at about 2000 miles. Then go to the Ford recommended schedule.

When changing it, do it when the diff is warm after a drive. That will help get most of the suspended metal out.

I watch Arod's videos and cringe when he uses his impact guns for tightening covers, pans,etc.

It's too bad Ford doesn't have a drain plug for the diff. (I'm not sure if one of the cover bolts is a drain) Another thing I miss coming from Toyota. When mine is due for lube service, I will likely replace the cover with a Banks or weld a bung to the stock cover.
The lowest diff bolt in the M275 (20-22 Tremor diff) is the drain. Thought I had read a report on the new Sterling 11.6 not having a lowest cover bolt drain but can’t seem to find it now. I believe the lowest cover bolt drain is a Dana thing when it comes to Superduty.

The rear diff does have a drain plug. The lower bolt is the drain plug. Some teflon tape on the bolt seals it perfectly after draining.

It's a good idea to change the rear diff oil very early as it begins to break in. Lots of metal gets worn off and is suspended in the oil. That metal is hard steel from the gear teeth and it is going through the bearings as you drive. A good first change is at about 500 miles. Then again at about 2000 miles. Then go to the Ford recommended schedule.

When changing it, do it when the diff is warm after a drive. That will help get most of the suspended metal out.
I like the idea of changing it early , damn I missed the boat 20,000 now on the clock next weekend definitely changing the diffs with the fuel filters and oil change.

I like the idea of changing it early , damn I missed the boat 20,000 now on the clock next weekend definitely changing the diffs with the fuel filters and oil change.
Lol, I was about to say that I am late with 7800 miles and counting 🤣

Back