Pro Trailer Backup Issues after FORScan Mods

jbaum02

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Anyone else having issues setting up trailers for Pro Trailer Backup with the stickers after FORScan mods?

I did a bunch of FORScan mods as soon as I got my truck. I didn’t get the fifth wheel prep package from the factory so I spent some time buying and installing a gooseneck hitch, a yaw sensor, and the in bed 7/12 wiring harness. Finally got that all in and got a gooseneck trailer setup with the yaw sensor with no issues.

I then tried to setup a bumper pull trailer with the sticker. When I go into the trailer menu and start the Pro Trailer Backup setup the screen immediately starts flashing back and forth between the normal sync menu and a CGI picture of the sticker. Above the sticker a message says ”Place sticker now” but it never finds the sticker on my trailer. The screen is flashing back and forth about every second and none of the buttons no longer work. I have to turn the truck off the get out of the Pro Trailer Backup setup.

I took the truck into the dealer once and they were too lazy to even look at it. Just gave it back and said since it worked with your gooseneck it must be a wiring problem with your bumper pull trailer. I’ve tried multiple trailers now and there is no difference.

I made an appointment to take it back to the dealer, but had a random idea after reading about the KIP problems with nav in motion in the full screen CarPlay thread.

I used FORScan to restore all the factory settings and tried to setup a trailer. Everything worked fine with no issues.

I restored my Forscan mods but turned off nav in motion and it’s back to the flashing screen when I try to setup a trailer.

Obviously, a FORScan mod is messing it up but I have no idea which one.

Anyone have any ideas which module might have anything to do with Pro Trailer Backup to at least maybe narrow down which settings to look at?

Tedious but add back one chance at a time and test the trailer after each one

Anyone else having issues setting up trailers for Pro Trailer Backup with the stickers after FORScan mods?

I did a bunch of FORScan mods as soon as I got my truck. I didn’t get the fifth wheel prep package from the factory so I spent some time buying and installing a gooseneck hitch, a yaw sensor, and the in bed 7/12 wiring harness. Finally got that all in and got a gooseneck trailer setup with the yaw sensor with no issues.

I then tried to setup a bumper pull trailer with the sticker. When I go into the trailer menu and start the Pro Trailer Backup setup the screen immediately starts flashing back and forth between the normal sync menu and a CGI picture of the sticker. Above the sticker a message says ”Place sticker now” but it never finds the sticker on my trailer. The screen is flashing back and forth about every second and none of the buttons no longer work. I have to turn the truck off the get out of the Pro Trailer Backup setup.

I took the truck into the dealer once and they were too lazy to even look at it. Just gave it back and said since it worked with your gooseneck it must be a wiring problem with your bumper pull trailer. I’ve tried multiple trailers now and there is no difference.

I made an appointment to take it back to the dealer, but had a random idea after reading about the KIP problems with nav in motion in the full screen CarPlay thread.

I used FORScan to restore all the factory settings and tried to setup a trailer. Everything worked fine with no issues.

I restored my Forscan mods but turned off nav in motion and it’s back to the flashing screen when I try to setup a trailer.

Obviously, a FORScan mod is messing it up but I have no idea which one.

Anyone have any ideas which module might have anything to do with Pro Trailer Backup to at least maybe narrow down which settings to look at?
Is your truck a 22? The module configuration is different with the change to Sync4.

I have a 22 with a BP toy hauler and the stickers are a joke. They don't work well at all. I had to play with the distance numbers to get the system to see the sticker, but as soon as you start to turn while backing, the camera loses the sticker and shuts off. The yaw sensor is the only way to make it work consistently. Others have run a cable over the tailgate for a BP and inputed it as a fifth wheel to make it work.

Tedious but add back one chance at a time and test the trailer after each one
Exactly. Tedious. Was just hoping to get some input from others that have done FORScan mods and don’t have issues to help narrow down the choices and get it figured out faster.

I have a 22 with a BP toy hauler and the stickers are a joke. They don't work well at all. I had to play with the distance numbers to get the system to see the sticker, but as soon as you start to turn while backing, the camera loses the sticker and shuts off. The yaw sensor is the only way to make it work consistently. Others have run a cable over the tailgate for a BP and inputed it as a fifth wheel to make it work.
I’ve seen on here that and may give it a try. I would like to figure out how to get the part for the 7/12 plug in the bumper without buying the whole accessories kits but from the threads on here it doesn’t seem like that’s possible.

The only down side I see to the yaw sensor is having to get one for each trailer. I have at least 6.

I’m still just trying to get it all setup and see if I even like using it. Mainly hoping it would be good for helping girlfriend and her kids to learn backing with. And also for the really short ATV trailer that is harder to keep straight.

Yes, mine is a 22 with Sync 4.
Pro Trailer is in the APIM. Those addresses start with 7D0. I did a quick search and 7D0-01-02 and 7D0-01-03 look to have addresses for the Pro-trailer-backup feature. If you went into the APIM in Plain English possibly one of the features wasn't mapped correctly and changed the wrong memory address? In any event, I would start backing out anything you changed in that module first and see if that helps to narrow it down.

If you want to provide a list of your changes I will look at it from the opposite angle to see if any of those are likely to interfere...

Pro Trailer is in the APIM. Those addresses start with 7D0. I did a quick search and 7D0-01-02 and 7D0-01-03 look to have addresses for the Pro-trailer-backup feature. If you went into the APIM in Plain English possibly one of the features wasn't mapped correctly and changed the wrong memory address? In any event, I would start backing out anything you changed in that module first and see if that helps to narrow it down.

If you want to provide a list of your changes I will look at it from the opposite angle to see if any of those are likely to interfere...
Ok, appreciate the help. I started looking at settings I changed in the APIM. And had an idea. I have enabled Centerstack settings and Silent Mode from a tip I read in the Favorite FORScan Mod thread.

So, I spent sometime trying stuff last night. First, I hooked up the same trailer that I was able to get thought the setup on with all of my FORScan mods reapplied. The Pro Trailer Backup function seem to work fine. So, the issue seems to just be setting up a trailer. I did see more menus on the screen when using the Pro Trailer Backup Function.

I then turned off Centerstack Settings and hooked up a different trailer to try to setup. When I did this the screen did not do the flashing back and forth, but it did show the CGI image of the sticker on the screen. I attempted to setup that trailer and everything seemed to be working but the system did not find the sticker and would not save.

I then left Centerstack Settings off and turned off Silent Mode. I tried to setup the trailer again. This time the screen switches to the trailer camera view and did not show the CGI picture of the sticker. I went through all the settings but the system again would not find the sticker and save.

It appears the Centerstack Settings and Silent Mode both affect the Pro Trailer Backup system somehow. With these on, there is more info on the screen when using the Pro Trailer Backup function. You see the trailer name and have a menu to switch trailers on the screen.

I’m not yet sure if it just limited to those two settings or more since I was not able to get the second trailer setup. Could’ve just been that it was dark, but I setup the first trailer in the dark. Maybe the sticker needs to be relocated on the second trailer.

I’m going to try the setup on the second trailer again today in daylight and see if I can get it to work.

Worked on it some more this morning. Hook up the second trailer with all my FORScan mods minus Centerstack Settings and Silent Mode. Was able to get the system to find the sticker and save the settings but on the first test drive it wanted to calibrate and couldn’t get it to find the sticker again.

Changed the sticker and put it in a little different spot and it worked fine.

I reenable Silent Mode and did a couple tests and it seems to be working fine. I still have the Silent Mode toggle in my menu but haven’t tried it till it gets dark. I only enabled Centerstack Settings cause I thought I needed that to get the Silent Mode toggle. I’m going to leave my settings like that for a while and try it.

I‘m pretty sure I narrowed it down to Centerstack Settings causing the interference.

I did check 7D0-01-02 and 7D0-01-03 and they were the same regardless if I had my As-built data loaded or my save FORScan settings.

Worked on it some more this morning. Hook up the second trailer with all my FORScan mods minus Centerstack Settings and Silent Mode. Was able to get the system to find the sticker and save the settings but on the first test drive it wanted to calibrate and couldn’t get it to find the sticker again.

Changed the sticker and put it in a little different spot and it worked fine.

I reenable Silent Mode and did a couple tests and it seems to be working fine. I still have the Silent Mode toggle in my menu but haven’t tried it till it gets dark. I only enabled Centerstack Settings cause I thought I needed that to get the Silent Mode toggle. I’m going to leave my settings like that for a while and try it.

I‘m pretty sure I narrowed it down to Centerstack Settings causing the interference.
Just wanted to add some more info. After a couple key cycles the option for Silent Mode disappeared. I was able to bring it back by enabling Centerstack Settings again. So it turns out Centerstack Settings is required to have access to Silent Mode.

Back