Printed Owners Manual

The hard copy for mine has sat in the glove box and not been looked at since downloading to my phone. It's so much easier and faster to access on my phone. Don't the newer trucks, the ones without a hard copy, have the OM in the Sync system?
Yeah, you can access the entire manual through the screen in the center stack

Not if the battery is dead!

There a section on troubleshooting. What would you do with no information available!

There a section on troubleshooting. What would you do with no information available!

I haven't seen a trouble shooting section, I have seen trouble shooting throughout the manual for various features. I still don't see how that would help in the case of a dead truck. It isn't a service manual.

Just trying understand how the manual could be useful in the scenario of being off grid, dead truck and dead phone. The fuse section is still all I can come up with.

Ok. Here is the scenario.

You’re out in the mountains and your truck dies and your phone is dead (it’s been roaming for hours). What do you do? Call for help? Walk to the nearest city? Not possible. Fix your truck, but you don’t have a manual to figure out how.
Cheers 🍻

Ok. Here is the scenario.

You’re out in the mountains and your truck dies and your phone is dead (it’s been roaming for hours). What do you do? Call for help? Walk to the nearest city? Not possible. Fix your truck, but you don’t have a manual to figure out how.
Cheers 🍻
If it's acting like it's a dead battery(no lights or power from key on) first step would probably be to pop the hood and make sure everything is connected. Then hook up the jump pack I keep charged under the rear seat. If that doesn't work start checking fuses.

Phone should always be plugged in while travelling ina remote area if in the truck. No reason not to keep it 100% charged. If the phone is dead then plug it into the USB port on the jump pack and charge it.

If the truck is dead and the phone/jump pack is dead I would pull out my spare phone. Everytime I upgrade my phone I keep the old one as a spare. I don't travel without a backpack that has a laptop, tablet, and a spare phone since my job requires long distance communication.

If all those options fail and I'm out of cell range for some reason I have a Garmin Inreach in my center console that is also always plugged in if I'm traveling as a solo vehicle in a remote area. Can carry it turned off while out hiking and only turn it on in an emergency. The battery will last days if used intermittently and not actively tracking a GPS track.

Going into remote areas solo without communication options and backups is poor planning.

There isn't any advanced troubleshooting options in the owners manual that a person with basic mechanical knowledge and tools wouldn't already likely know.

If it's acting like it's a dead battery(no lights or power from key on) first step would probably be to pop the hood and make sure everything is connected. Then hook up the jump pack I keep charged under the rear seat. If that doesn't work start checking fuses.

Phone should always be plugged in while travelling ina remote area if in the truck. No reason not to keep it 100% charged. If the phone is dead then plug it into the USB port on the jump pack and charge it.

If the truck is dead and the phone/jump pack is dead I would pull out my spare phone. I don't travel without a backpack that has a laptop, tablet, and a spare phone since my job requires long distance communication.

If all those options fail and I'm out of cell range for some reason I have a Garmin Inreach in my center console that is also always plugged in if I'm traveling as a solo vehicle in a remote area. Can carry it turned off while out hiking and only turn it on in an emergency. The battery will last days if used intermittently and not actively tracking a GPS track.

Going into remote areas solo without communication options and backups is poor planning.

There isn't any advanced troubleshooting options in the owners manual that a person with basic mechanical knowledge and tools wouldn't already likely know.
You have a good understanding of your options. Not sure the average Joe would. This is all hypothetical for the average Joe. I’m just saying a hard copy manual should be required!!!!!!!!!
Cheers 🍻

You have a good understanding of your options. Not sure the average Joe would. This is all hypothetical for the average Joe. I’m just saying a hard copy manual should be required!!!!!!!!!
Cheers 🍻
It's a waste of paper for the majority of owners and a waste of money for Ford since most owners probably never look at it.

Ford sold almost 1.8million new vehicles in the US for 2022 alone. Helm sells that manual for $35 to the common Joe. Let's say Ford gets a bulk deal at $5 per unit including the fancy cover. That's almost $9million for paper books and covers that very few customers will ever look at.

Most people use vehicles as nothing more than an appliance to get them from place to place. It is no different than a refrigerator to them. When it breaks they call the repair shop and say fix it.

People on forums for their vehicle with a specific optional package are the outliers. We are the enthusiasts who would ever notice or care about these kinds of things.

The customers who really want a paper copy will go buy it. Maybe from the local dealer parts department. Now Ford makes money selling it to the small number who want it and doesn't waste money and paper for the majority who will never even notice its missing.

This all sounds pretty good for a company trying to make a profit.

My carpet don't match the drapes. My 21' truck is Iconic Silver and the underside of the hood is white, lit up by an under hood light.
Ummmm...yeah, might wanna to keep this to yourself, yeah. 🤪

Just ordered a manual for my 2024 F350 from Helm, about $45 otd. They confirmed it's the full complete manual.

Just ordered my manual for my 2023 also.

It's a waste of paper for the majority of owners and a waste of money for Ford since most owners probably never look at it.

Ford sold almost 1.8million new vehicles in the US for 2022 alone. Helm sells that manual for $35 to the common Joe. Let's say Ford gets a bulk deal at $5 per unit including the fancy cover. That's almost $9million for paper books and covers that very few customers will ever look at.

Most people use vehicles as nothing more than an appliance to get them from place to place. It is no different than a refrigerator to them. When it breaks they call the repair shop and say fix it.

People on forums for their vehicle with a specific optional package are the outliers. We are the enthusiasts who would ever notice or care about these kinds of things.

The customers who really want a paper copy will go buy it. Maybe from the local dealer parts department. Now Ford makes money selling it to the small number who want it and doesn't waste money and paper for the majority who will never even notice its missing.

Speaking of saving money, the driver-assist parallel parking feature will disappear (in vehicles that offer it as an option). It agrees with the idea that if there's no demand, there's no need to continue with production:

While I can understand and to a certain extent agree with your position when the vehicles under consideration are your typical grocery getting, work commuting crossovers/small SUVs, I believe the Super Duties and up into the commercial truck range are a different matter. So to a limited extent are half ton or smaller trucks or vehicles that are marketed at least partially on their off road prowess such as the Bronco.

The bigger trucks may well have features and equipment not found on commuter class vehicles and are more likely to be used by people who want to know more and are willing to put in the effort to learn the capabilities.

If I'm dropping $50k+ on a light truck or off-roady SUV, or especially $90k+ on a Super Duty, I expect "all of the above" when I comes to vehicle information. I want it in the vehicle system, downloadable file, and a frickin' paper manual (which should have a QR code & URL printed on one of the first 10 pages).

In the larger scheme of things, the paper manual cost is trivial vs. the PR cost of not providing it to at least their truck customers. I can live without it and may actually order one but am mildly insulted by Ford's cheaping out. I suppose I should go see if I can get one for Ford Points.

helm has the 2024 OM for sale

Service manuals are Back ordered currently

what is a SOG manual, and what does it cover?

1707579392773.png

Back