Powertrain Failure

They lied to you probably because they didn’t want to put the effort in to fixing and/or diagnosing the issue. The ford tool/software the dealer uses shows more than other tools do. They can see all that stuff and they just didn’t want to fix it because they could lie and get away with it. They’ll lie when there is a light on and say nothing is wrong or try to blame you for having something plugged into the cigarette lighter or some other bs excuse.
It was clear they were able to see what happened and when as they read out what they saw when I shared my VIN. Again, I only had one alert flash to my dash/ford pass app.

I am unsure how to progress to asking them to look deeper as the last thing I want is to know they’ve seen something but refuse to “diagnose” without an active alert.

It was clear they were able to see what happened and when as they read out what they saw when I shared my VIN. Again, I only had one alert flash to my dash/ford pass app.

I am unsure how to progress to asking them to look deeper as the last thing I want is to know they’ve seen something but refuse to “diagnose” without an active alert.
Just an update since I had the same behavior as you. Dealer replaced the transmission main valve body, issue still existed, and now Ford authorized a full transmission rip and replace. Maybe I have a good dealer as they're just not messing around with it, simply replace the whole thing. Ford already shipped a whole new transmission to dealer, due to arrive this week. I was wondering if there would be a wait to source one, but dealer said no, it's enroute already.

I had the same shift issues, took it in for a service which temporarily solved the problem but then it returned, but much worse. They told me to drive directly to the dealership where they kept the truck for over a month and eventually ended up replacing the transmission.

And I make a post about the 10 speed tranny being junk and catch flak. This is an ongoing problem with Ford since the 10 speed came out. What's aggravating is this tranny is not new anymore and the kinks should have been worked out by now, but nope.

And I make a post about the 10 speed tranny being junk and catch flak. This is an ongoing problem with Ford since the 10 speed came out. What's aggravating is this tranny is not new anymore and the kinks should have been worked out by now, but nope.
Actually the really odd part is GM/Ford shared technology on the 10 speed but for some reason they are having less issues

Just an update since I had the same behavior as you. Dealer replaced the transmission main valve body, issue still existed, and now Ford authorized a full transmission rip and replace. Maybe I have a good dealer as they're just not messing around with it, simply replace the whole thing. Ford already shipped a whole new transmission to dealer, due to arrive this week. I was wondering if there would be a wait to source one, but dealer said no, it's enroute already.
your issue is very common with this transmission. replacing the valve body did nothing because it wasn't broken. i would bet the new transmission will be the same
the gm hd 10 speed is much more refined. i have had 2 of them and 2 of the ford 10 speeds. i was hoping my '24 ford tranny was better than the '20. it is not. both my gms were much smoother
Actually the really odd part is GM/Ford shared technology on the 10 speed but for some reason they are having less issues
only on the 1/2 ton 10 speed, not the hd

Last edited:
I might be mistaken, but I think the Ford / GM collaboration was with the half tons. I believe the HD trannys are different. I can tell you from multiple test drives of both HD trucks in 2024 models, the GMs are noticeably smoother. Especially the 1-2 shift. On 4 different Tremor Lariats I have driven - 3 gassers, 1 diesel, every one lurched from first to second under light to moderate acceleration. I figured this is just a Ford thing.

I might be mistaken, but I think the Ford / GM collaboration was with the half tons. I believe the HD trannys are different. I can tell you from multiple test drives of both HD trucks in 2024 models, the GMs are noticeably smoother. Especially the 1-2 shift. On 4 different Tremor Lariats I have driven - 3 gassers, 1 diesel, every one lurched from first to second under light to moderate acceleration. I figured this is just a Ford thing.
Found this article in regards to the two trannys. Interesting to read, A lot of similarities. They seem to think the Ford is the better option.

My tranny went out on my 2022 at around 24k miles. At the time, someone also pointed out that the Superduty 10-speed is different than the F-150 models. I had two 10-speed F-150s 1. 2017 XLT and a 2020 Raptor. The tranny wasn't always perfect but I didn't worry about it like I do now. Ford replaced the Superduty tranny. It's still not perfect but doesn't skip gears or refuse to go in to reverse. At first the dealer wasn't sure if Ford would rebuild or replace it. I would have fought it if they said it was going to be a rebuild.

My tranny went out on my 2022 at around 24k miles. At the time, someone also pointed out that the Superduty 10-speed is different than the F-150 models. I had two 10-speed F-150s 1. 2017 XLT and a 2020 Raptor. The tranny wasn't always perfect but I didn't worry about it like I do now. Ford replaced the Superduty tranny. It's still not perfect but doesn't skip gears or refuse to go in to reverse. At first the dealer wasn't sure if Ford would rebuild or replace it. I would have fought it if they said it was going to be a rebuild.
Can you explain more about the skipping gears? I thought to some extent this was normal behavior. Such as going 1,3,5 etc depending on conditions. I have also seen mine, when driving like a granny, go 1,2,3,4,5 etc.

Can you explain more about the skipping gears? I thought to some extent this was normal behavior. Such as going 1,3,5 etc depending on conditions. I have also seen mine, when driving like a granny, go 1,2,3,4,5 etc.
I believe the prior MYs skipped gears at times, like 1,3,5 as you mentioned. I know my MY23 never skipped a gear up-shifting either towing or empty.

Get a tune that makes it shift through all the gears. Best thing I did to my 7.3 gasser
If run turn on the Engine Brake --not the auto selection-- it will shift through all of the gears --at least on my 22 it does

I believe the prior MYs skipped gears at times, like 1,3,5 as you mentioned. I know my MY23 never skipped a gear up-shifting either towing or empty.
Thanks for explaining! Mines a 21 so that makes sense.

Back