Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
U.S. Air Force
Current Ride
2021 Ford F250 Tremor, Iconic Silver, 7.3L
Current Ride #2
2014 Chevrolet Cruze turbo diesel
Noticed that ever since I started towing, mainly when making slow, sharp turns (in reverse) that the power steering makes a whining sound. Never had a Ford before, not sure if it's a normal sound. My previous brand truck never made such sounds. Fluid level perfect, 4,200 miles. I get it that those are some big tires to move around, going slow. Nothing noted in any other driving conditions. Thanks!

After driving for awhile my P/S whines occasionally also. I've really only noticed it with the window down, but .. it's on my "to have it looked at" list. Right below getting the Winch Properly Re-Installed.

How does the fluid smell and what color is it?

no burning or change of color on mine
Likely just the pump working hard then.

unrelated-ish...I just went through an entire power steering repair for my 2011 BMW. It whined so loud you'd think I had a Hell Cat engine in it. It was interesting what I learned on the BMW, it actually has a filter in the reservoir, but it's not replaceable individually. So you need to replace the entire reservoir. After I did that and changed all the fluid, I found the pump was still shot - so I then replaced the pump and the fluid again. It's fine now. The system is sealed on the BMW other than a small bleeder on the rack that I could not get to due to XDrive skid plates. So I used a vacuum style fluid extractor and then re-filling with fresh "euro spec fluid" and now it's perfect.

However, when I looked at the fluid to begin with I found the mechanic who had told me he "changed it, buddy!" Didn't in fact do anything. So it likely burned my pump. The fluid is typically rated for 50K, and I sure the Ford must have similar specs.

My 2017 with adaptive steering did this. Mainly noticed it at full lock or close to full lock. My 2021 and my 2022 both without adaptive steering do not have this noise. Not sure if its a coincidence or not.

Bumping for a June 22' build. I swear it sounds like a fucking 90's Chrysler minivan

Mine is whining and power steering quits after the truck warms up, have an appointment 10/25 for Ford to take a look at it.
fluid was low and leaking, having to top it off, might have burned up the pump after the leak started.
started having issues at ~19k miles, 2022 7.3l
will update after service

Power Steering Whine - my power steering whines because the power steering fluid is leaking all over the place. The fluid is now very low (after my first test drive today). THE FIRST DAY I DROVE IT OFF THE LOT.

My vehicle is now in for repair. After the first drive.

They suspect the leak originates from the power steering cooler.

I did a quick online search related to leaking power steering fluid and the first "hit" I got said that the power steering pump can be damaged if the fluid is low. I'm getting very annoyed at the possibility that my pump might have an as yet un-diagnosed damage due to the faulty component that caused a leak and the pump will fail prematurely - but probably after the warranty is up.

I can deal with "stuff that goes wrong and gets fixed". I don't do well with stuff that gets mucked up but not replaced (such as the power steering pump) and I've got to deal with it 3 or 5 or 7 years from now.

Other than that, it was a delightful break in / test drive up to the Hyak sno-park at Snoqualmie Pass, around some forest service roads, into North Bend on the way home, a stop at Home Depot for about 600 lbs of sand bags, and then home.

Last edited:
Power Steering Whine - my power steering whines because the power steering fluid is leaking all over the place. The fluid is now very low (after my first test drive today). THE FIRST DAY I DROVE IT OFF THE LOT.

My vehicle is now in for repair. After the first drive.

They suspect the leak originates from the power steering cooler.

I did a quick online search related to leaking power steering fluid and the first "hit" I got said that the power steering pump can be damaged if the fluid is low. I'm getting very annoyed at the possibility that my pump might have an as yet un-diagnosed damage due to the faulty component that caused a leak and the pump will fail prematurely - but probably after the warranty is up.

I can deal with "stuff that goes wrong and gets fixed". I don't do well with stuff that gets mucked up but not replaced (such as the power steering pump) and I've got to deal with it 3 or 5 or 7 years from now.

Other than that, it was a delightful break in / test drive up to the Hyak sno-park at Snoqualmie Pass, around some forest service roads, into North Bend on the way home, a stop at Home Depot for about 600 lbs of sand bags, and then home.
That is shitty. Not sure how expensive a superduty's power steering pump is. But, I look at it this way. I can't throw a rock without seeing a superduty. To me that means there will be plenty of them in junkyards when your pump goes out. So, when the time comes, you could probably find one pretty cheap 😎 hell, I already saw one on YouTube that someone rolled almost brand new if not actually brand new😜

That’s a drag. Thank goodness for warranties. I know not having the truck while it’s in the shop is horrible, though. Hope it’s a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the comments.

The bigger or additional concern is the question around would the vehicle cab have to come off for future repairs to other related components in the system if they fail post 3 yr warranty as a side effect of this PS leak. I imagine that would get expensive.

Mine has whined since day 1
Sounds identical to my previous Superduty's (00 and 01 model years).
It's also just as 'sloppy' as those old trucks.

I prefer the response of my 13 F150's electric steering.

Back