Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
22MY F250 Star White Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
22MY Winnebago Voyage 2831RB
I know some members are always thinking a few steps ahead...

@Vecman does this align with any of your boyhood dreams?

rttw8lue.png

What I find interesting is the lower hp and torque in the 6.7 in these trucks vs what the F250 and 350 have.

If my job/business required serious hauling and long trips, like hot shotting or something, I’d totally consider one of these. I’ve actually watched the YouTube guy reviewing the F650 that was embedded in the article. But if I had stupid money, like using 100s as toilet paper level money, I’d search out one of those international pickup trucks. Those things were sick! I like that stuff more than sports cars and such if I’m gonna waste money

Last edited:
What I find interesting is the lower hp and torque in the 6.7 in these trucks vs what the F250 and 350 have.
Trucks above 14k GVWR have to conform to a different type of emissions certification ("Dyno Certification"). This tests the power train independent of the vehicle it goes into since there is a somewhat unlimited number of configurations from a body builder perspective. The EPA also mandates that EGR has to be run throughout the entire cycle, which will limit the ultimate power than can be produced. I have a Ford article somewhere that goes into more detail if you are interested in the minutia.

Running an F650 is all cool up to a point. It's generally about the time you need to do maintenance or get new tires all around. We had a local buddy that went to the Medium Class F650. I think he was spending double in beer towards the techs working on his truck. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Trucks above 14k GVWR have to conform to a different type of emissions certification ("Dyno Certification"). This tests the power train independent of the vehicle it goes into since there is a somewhat unlimited number of configurations from a body builder perspective. The EPA also mandates that EGR has to be run throughout the entire cycle, which will limit the ultimate power than can be produced. I have a Ford article somewhere that goes into more detail if you are interested in the minutia.
That makes sense.

Building on what Modman said, as there’s lots of factors involved, the medium duty (and chassis cab) trucks also have the engine detuned a bit for reliability.

If you have that article handy, @Modman, I would love to take a read!

That makes sense.
The gear ratio options are completely different between Class 2 and Class 3 trucks (F250 / F350) compared to Class 4 through Class 7 trucks (F450 through F750). Gearing is one of several reasons the big trucks can move heavier loads with less HP and torque.

Reactions: ccw
Building on what Modman said, as there’s lots of factors involved, the medium duty (and chassis cab) trucks also have the engine detuned a bit for reliability.

If you have that article handy, @Modman, I would love to take a read!
It's a bit older but the logic holds:

Attachments

• SuperDutyChassisCertificationVSDynoCertification.pdf
    810.3 KB · Views: 16
I have a Ford article somewhere that goes into more detail if you are interested in the minutia.
Nm. Thanks for the pdf.

Back