New TPMS Programming. Quick and easy method.

Alpoba

Alpoba
Founding Member
Reaction Points
I know TPMS programming and sensor selection has been discussed already, but i would like to share what i think is probably the quickest and easiest and cheapest method for someone who wants to buy and program his own TPMS. And continue to own the device for future programming…

I purchased this set during black Friday sale for $300.

Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF KIT [2023... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS9QK1TB

I needed new sensors for the second pair of wheels and tires to mount on my 23.

With the method i used to program new sensors, it was simply a copy by activation: read your current sensor data and use it to program new sensors with it. Basically, you then have 2 sets of wheels with the same sensor data and can switch between them seamlessly without having to do ANY addition programming. The truck will simply pick up sensor data from either set of wheels.

The advantage if using this tool and sensors is that with this clone method one does not need to do anything in the truck, no need for a relearn sequence or anything else. By using the tool all 4 sensors are cloned and the truck switches to reading from new sensors.

Why i picked this method and purchasing the tool and sensors. Because all the tire places quoted me upwards of $300 for a set of aftermarket sensors programmed by them, and those were not OEM Ford sensors, which by themselves are $250 for a set 4. So i did the math, i get 8 sensors for two sets of wheels and a device all for $300.

The programming was super easy.
1. Register and update the tool via wifi to get latest MY 23 info.
2. Using the tool, one by one copy 4 wheel sensor data from OEM wheels
3. Using the tool, one by one activate 4 new tpms sensors with the copied data from oem sensors.

And that’s it. Absolutely nothing has to be done in the truck itself.
IMG_0654.jpeg

IMG_0656.jpeg

IMG_0655.jpeg

Another thing to mention, autel mx sensors have a good reputation. The shop who did my wheels in 2022 installed them, i had them on for over a year on a 22 and they worked without a hitch. The shop that road force balanced my tires now also said that they use the same autel sensors if customers request aftermarket ones. Standalone, a set of 4 sensors can be had for 110-120$ on Amazon. That’s less than 1/2 the cost of Ford OEM ones.

Another benefit is that autel sensors work on both 315 and 433 MHZ frequencies, meaning they can be programmed with previous gen SD which uses 315 and this gen SD which uses 433. The same can not be said of Ford OEM sensors - they work on 1 frequency only, either 315 or 433, not both. So going to a different model year you’re screwed, need a new set of TPMS sensors.

Anyone know if the oem spare tire has a tpms sensor or not?

Anyone know if the oem spare tire has a tpms sensor or not?
Not in my 22MY. I know that's not decisive, but just answering for a reference...

Not in my 22MY. I know that's not decisive, but just answering for a reference...

I didn’t think so, but wanted to check. It makes sense, the replaced wheel would still send readings to tpms module. How does one deactivate it and reactivate the spare sensor, seems impractical.

Now i wonder about those who use a spare in their rotation. How do they control for that 5th wheel (spare) in their tpms setup. @BroncoHooves

I didn’t think so, but wanted to check. It makes sense, the replaced wheel would still send readings to tpms module. How does one deactivate it and reactivate the spare sensor, seems impractical.

Now i wonder about those who use a spare in their rotation. How do they control for that 5th wheel (spare) in their tpms setup. @BroncoHooves
That's me... It all happens seamlessly. When I rotate tires the one that was in the spare position automatically is read as one of the four active tires. No deactivating required for the one that goes out of rotation.

That's me... It all happens seamlessly. When I rotate tires the one that was in the spare position automatically is read as one of the four active tires. No deactivating required for the one that goes out of rotation.

Right, that makes sense because there are 4 sensors total around your truck, not 5. When there are 5 active in your truck, it would get confused on the readings.

For example, when i took off 4 oem wheels with oem sensors and put them in the garage 15 feet away, the truck would still read form them. I know because i would go to work with another set of wheels without sensors that triggered tpms and when i came back home at night everything was back to normal, taking reading from the garage. Now lets say you had that 5th sensor in the spare location or the bed, i think it’s too close for the system to know it’s not active and the other 4 are.

Now lets say you had that 5th sensor in the spare location or the bed, i think it’s too close for the system to know it’s not active and the other 4 are.
That's what I'm saying... I have one hanging under my truck in the spare location at all times and it is never read as an active wheel.

i was just going to ask about this tool.
I have it, but not the sensors. I have used this on my GM to learn new sensors and adjust the TPMS psi thresholds to what I want. I works great.

does anyone know if I can use it to adjust the TPMS thresholds on the '23-24 SD? I can do forscan when the new truck will be supported, but this is a much easier tool to use.

thanks

i was just going to ask about this tool.
I have it, but not the sensors. I have used this on my GM to learn new sensors and adjust the TPMS psi thresholds to what I want. I works great.

does anyone know if I can use it to adjust the TPMS thresholds on the '23-24 SD? I can do forscan when the new truck will be supported, but this is a much easier tool to use.

thanks

I dont think this tool is designed to do tpms thresholds in a vehicle, but perhaps someone knows different.

That's what I'm saying... I have one hanging under my truck in the spare location at all times and it is never read as an active wheel.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but i thought you said in post #4 that your spare does not have a tpms sensor and was basing my replies off that answer.

I dont think this tool is designed to do tpms thresholds in a vehicle, but perhaps someone knows different.
i can totally adjust them on my '22 Chevy HD with that tool. i have done it to my truck and several of my buddy's.
we have them set to 45/40

On my dually all tires and the spare all have TPMS and when I rotate them just mount them and they learn there location and all is good. Never programmed them.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but i thought you said in post #4 that your spare does not have a tpms sensor and was basing my replies off that answer.
Ah, I see the confusion in my wording and the following discussion.

From the factory the spare on my 22MY did not have a TPMS sensor.

I moved the OEM spare tire to a OEM Tremor rim and added a TPMS sensor at that time so I could do 5 wheel tire rotations. My comments regarding the truck seamlessly switching between sensors was based on that... Hope that helps!

Ah, I see the confusion in my wording and the following discussion.

From the factory the spare on my 22MY did not have a TPMS sensor.

I moved the OEM spare tire to a OEM Tremor rim and added a TPMS sensor at that time so I could do 5 wheel tire rotations. My comments regarding the truck seamlessly switching between sensors was based on that... Hope that helps!

Thanks for explaining it. It’s exactly what i’m going to do, add a spare 37 on oem rim and add a new sensor to it.

Back