My 7.3 is Cooked - Lifters

TaterAm

Tremor Fan
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction Points
54
Location
Idaho
Current Ride #1
2020 F350 7.3
2020 F350, 97,XXX miles. Got a P0301 recently, it's also been noisier so decided to have it diagnosed. I had a misfire (flashing CEL) about 1.5-2 years ago, replaced the plug wires. And then had 100k service done last November, the guy changed the plugs wires again, as well as plugs this time. So thought it's likely not good that already has a misfire again.

Had the injectors, wires etc swapped for the troubled cylinder, did a leak down test, and compression test for cyl 1 I think he said lost 30% or something like that. Being pegged as a lifter failure. The two local Ford tech's advised not to bother just swapping the cam.

So, I am looking at a new long block. A bit over $13k all in. Seriously contemplating whether to replace it, or dump the truck. Hard part is I have a lone peak camper on it, so one more hassle if I were to sell. Or, at least with a new motor I'd have some fresh life, a new motor with hopefully better lifters, and a warranty on it. Maybe throw a BTR cam in it for fun? Don't have the funds to throw a Megazilla crate in it. I also thought I saw a post somewhere that someone out of warranty got some kind of reimbursement from Ford? I've been looking at so many different sites on the lifter issues I've lost track.

I double checked my TSB's and no, my truck didn't get the PCM update for the oil pressure. Lame that Ford didn't include the 2020-2022's in that.

I bought it used, with 61k miles. No, didn't buy the ESP on this one. The mechanic that has it now says he thinks the cab has been lifted before for what that's worth.

Sad times.
 
Why can't you just replace the head?
There is a Ford TSB that the mechanic will follow stepping thru the possible causes and potential engine damage. At a certain point it's deemed that enough metal has made it's way through that the long block is the best bet.
 
There is a Ford TSB that the mechanic will follow stepping thru the possible causes and potential engine damage. At a certain point it's deemed that enough metal has made it's way through that the long block is the best bet.
 
If you get a new engine, get an oem ford replacement for the ford parts warranty.
 
Sorry. This is exactly why I dumped my 7.3. The symptoms made me think the writing was on the wall. Dealer didn’t care and took it on trade.

Misfires, intermittent flashing CEL, swapped wires and coils, etc. Nothing v worked and out of warranty so away it went.
 
Last edited:
13k seems high for a 7.3 swap.

It was roughly what I was expecting? The crates are $8,600, plus shipping, tax, etc. Then I figured 2 days labor. I wasn't expecting "i know a guy" pricing but it is at a friend of a friends, so hopefully not overly gouged. What did you pay, or what have you seen?


If you get a new engine, get an oem ford replacement for the ford parts warranty.

Yes, the quote I got is for Ford parts, it would be a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Sorry. This is exactly why I dumped my 7.3. The symptoms made me think the writing was on the wall. Dealer didn’t care and took it on trade.

Misfires, intermittent flashing CEL, swapped wires and coils, etc. Nothing v worked and out of warranty so away it went.

Bummer. What did you end going with?
 
Sorry man, sucks. Only made it 30K miles on my first motor - you did better than me :cry:
 
It was roughly what I was expecting? The crates are $8,600, plus shipping, tax, etc. Then I figured 2 days labor. I wasn't expecting "i know a guy" pricing but it is at a friend of a friends, so hopefully not overly gouged. What did you pay, or what have you seen?




Yes, the quote I got is for Ford parts, it would be a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.



Bummer. What did you end going with?

2025 6.7L. Just kind of left thinking the 7.3L was a great, but not so well executed, idea. At least in the first few model years.
 
13k seems high for a 7.3 swap.
$13k is what my dealership quoted me on my 2021 for an engine replacement last year (lifter failure at 81k miles), as others have noted the replacement engine is almost 70% of that total. Probably about right.

Made the trade in offer that they gave to get me into a 2025 a lot more attractive, so maybe they called it high on purpose?
 
Back
Top Bottom