Matching wheel center caps front and rear

Tucsontremor

Tremor Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2015 F150
Maybe it’s my OCD kicking in, but the lack of a matching center cap on the factory wheels front vs. rear bugs me. I have seen some threads where guys have talked about matching them, but I never saw one completed and confirmed on fitment. It’s possible I missed a post where it was done. I know, aftermarket wheels would solve this issue, but my wife might have my neck if I order anything else for this truck that I’m still patiently waiting on. 🤣

I understand the open front cover functionally… easy access to the manually locking hub. But this would only need to be accessed in a failure of the 4wd vacuum system. I also understand that these can really become a PITA to turn over time. Maybe due to the water/dust intrusion over the years of use. I’m thinking a cover would possibly help this. Understanding the cover would have to be removed to ever get to the manual hub, but part of me thinks the pros outweigh the cons here. Not looking to reinvent fords design, just thinking of the balanced look plus the cover might help long term.

Has anyone completed this mod? Are the outer black rings that go around the lug nuts the same size on the front and rear? I know they are the same diameter, but what about the stand-off? Looking at parts online, the stand-off of the rear cover looks to be more than the front. Maybe it’s an optical illusion in the pictures. Is it possible to just add the center Ford logo piece in the middle of the fronts to match them? Or are they all one piece on the rears?

This is what a Sunday evening of football on the couch gets me, more research, more ideas, more mods.

pop your rear cover off and see if it fits the front over the hubs. its not just in a failure that you need the lock, the front hubs can sometimes unlock when reversing so if you are stuck and trying to rock it out it can lock and unlock, shouldn't but can.

Maybe it’s my OCD kicking in, but the lack of a matching center cap on the factory wheels front vs. rear bugs me. I have seen some threads where guys have talked about matching them, but I never saw one completed and confirmed on fitment. It’s possible I missed a post where it was done. I know, aftermarket wheels would solve this issue, but my wife might have my neck if I order anything else for this truck that I’m still patiently waiting on. 🤣

I understand the open front cover functionally… easy access to the manually locking hub. But this would only need to be accessed in a failure of the 4wd vacuum system. I also understand that these can really become a PITA to turn over time. Maybe due to the water/dust intrusion over the years of use. I’m thinking a cover would possibly help this. Understanding the cover would have to be removed to ever get to the manual hub, but part of me thinks the pros outweigh the cons here. Not looking to reinvent fords design, just thinking of the balanced look plus the cover might help long term.

Has anyone completed this mod? Are the outer black rings that go around the lug nuts the same size on the front and rear? I know they are the same diameter, but what about the stand-off? Looking at parts online, the stand-off of the rear cover looks to be more than the front. Maybe it’s an optical illusion in the pictures. Is it possible to just add the center Ford logo piece in the middle of the fronts to match them? Or are they all one piece on the rears?

This is what a Sunday evening of football on the couch gets me, more research, more ideas, more mods.
I was watching some PTT videos on YouTube and he recommended exercising the lockers at every oil change to keep them getting hard to turn.

I was watching some PTT videos on YouTube and he recommended exercising the lockers at every oil change to keep them getting hard to turn.
It's true. Especially in the states with salt corrosion.

Good point about the reversing. Has anyone matched the rears to the front yet? I’m thinking I will try this once I get my truck. I’ll follow it up with some pics if all goes as planned.

Back