Manual release of hood from outside of vehicle

milkgonebad

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2017 Ford f250
Hi all,
2017 f250

I need to get my hood open to charge / replace the battery. Any tips? Tried different things for 30 minutes no luck.

I can’t manually unlock the truck with the key because I took out the key lock when I got robbed. And both my key fobs won’t work to unlock the vehicle.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,

I need to get my hood open to charge / replace the battery. Any tips? Tried different things for 30 minutes no luck.

I can’t manually unlock the truck with the key because I took out the key lock when I got robbed. And both my key fobs won’t work to unlock the vehicle.

Thanks
If someone knows, please answer him privately. Don't need that kind of info on the interweb 👍🏼

I say that because anything I ask Google about my truck will redirect me to a thread on here. Pretty much every time 😉
I am personally curious about this too though. Not that I'll take my key cylinder out of my door, for this very reason.

I feel comfortable posting this suggestion publicly since it doesn't involve bypassing the hood latch. Instead, it's a pretty simple way to get power to the truck so the key fob will work again.

If you have another battery or 12V power source available, you can run jumper cables under the truck to the starter. I haven't gone looking for it on these trucks, but it's usually accessible and gives you direct access to a positive battery lead. Can ground to practically anything.

Once you get power to the truck, you can get the doors unlocked and go about things the normal way.

Good luck!

I feel comfortable posting this suggestion publicly since it doesn't involve bypassing the hood latch. Instead, it's a pretty simple way to get power to the truck so the key fob will work again.

If you have another battery or 12V power source available, you can run jumper cables under the truck to the starter. I haven't gone looking for it on these trucks, but it's usually accessible and gives you direct access to a positive battery lead. Can ground to practically anything.

Once you get power to the truck, you can get the doors unlocked and go about things the normal way.

Good luck!
Damnit! I was going to ask if you could hook up to the winch power similarly. Assuming you have a winch 🤣
But this is better 👍🏼

Damnit! I was going to ask if you could hook up to the winch power similarly. Assuming you have a winch 🤣
That would also work if you can get to it! It just comes down to accessing a relatively beefy positive battery cable (too small and you risk the dead battery pulling too much current and smoking the wire).

Good luck!
Trying this now! TYSM

Reactions: ccw
I believe the best option is to call a locksmith and have them open my door somehow
A locksmith may be able to help. Tow truck may be better equipped, though, as this becomes more mechanical/electrical. They carry lockout kits and generally have a wider variety of tools available to them to deal with dead batteries and such.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "I took out the key lock". If that means you removed the lock cylinder, then picking the lock isn't an option making a locksmith less valuable.

Trying this now! TYSM
Awesome! Keep us posted!

Maybe run a small plug from one of the batteries down to the front bumper so if this happens again you can put a small charger (or another battery) have have enough juice to unlock the doors.

I have 2ga wires and an anderson connector on my bumper but this is used for jumping vehicles on my farm. something in the 14 ga arena with a connector would be large enough.

Good luck!
This ^^
I've used the 7pin in the past but since it's blocked by the BCM you can no longer do that on the newer trucks. I've seen people use anderson plugs or just a simple positive mounting lug (isolated of course) under the truck just for occasions like this.

Good luck!
Great suggestion @ccw !

A locksmith may be able to help. Tow truck may be better equipped, though, as this becomes more mechanical/electrical. They carry lockout kits and generally have a wider variety of tools available to them to deal with dead batteries and such.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "I took out the key lock". If that means you removed the lock cylinder, then picking the lock isn't an option making a locksmith less valuable.

Awesome! Keep us posted!
Locksmith was able to help, he pulled the door handle, took about an hour as it was tough to do. Trucks in the shop now as i believe it has a parasitic draw since batteries are a few months old.

Back