LED Bed Lighting Not Working

oUyHviB433YtNiLbn

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
USAF
Current Ride
2022 Ford Tremor
I have a 22 with the LED bed lighting. There is a switch near the back of the bed by one of the lights on the driver side. When I push the switch, the only light that comes on is the light above the cab. The two LED lights in the rear corners of the bed do not come on. They used to work fine, but I’m not sure how long ago they quit working. I do have a camper topper but that should not interfere fear with functionality of those lights. Any thoughts on what I can check?

Remove the lights and check for corrosion at the connectors.

Here's a video on how to remove:

Will the bed lights turn on if you have the parking or headlights on?

I appreciate the feedback. I did some searching and found another thread that mentioned the lights timing out if the truck hasn’t been started in a while. Mine’s been sitting for about 1-2 weeks so that would make sense. I decided to take it for a drive to run some errands. I remote started it but no change. I hit the start button and they turned on so issue solved thankfully.

I had my bed lights stop working all the sudden on a recent trip so today I dug in to investigate. Here is what I found. One of the connector pin has corroded. This area looks to be susceptible to moisture and seeps into the connection. Cut off the harness end and touched the wires together and all worked. Ordered up a new switch and looking for the correct female end connector. Hopes this helps those that this happens to.

Attachments

• IMG_7858.jpeg
    IMG_7858.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7859.jpeg
    IMG_7859.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 18
One of the “get to it before it fails” projects that I had my son help out with last year was climbing underneath and applying Dielectric grease to all the connectors. I’ve used that stuff religiously for decades on my various vehicles, RV’s, boats, Jet Ski’, trailers, etc.. My first use for it was the trailer light plug for one of my early boats.
I use it around the house too, especially on the screw-in light bulbs. 👍

Mine did the same on my 22 the dealer is trying to tell me that my Morimoto head and tail lights are causing faults which in return is causing the bed lights and overhead light above the cab not to work with the inside switch or the bed switch. Called Morimoto they haven’t had this problem. Hopefully I can find the cause .

Mine did the same on my 22 the dealer is trying to tell me that my Morimoto head and tail lights are causing faults which in return is causing the bed lights and overhead light above the cab not to work with the inside switch or the bed switch. Called Morimoto they haven’t had this problem. Hopefully I can find the cause .
The control for the truck bed lamps and cargo lamps, are separate from the headlight and taillight circuits. The control for the bed lamps and cargo lamps are also different. The cargo lamp can be turned on when the bed lamp switch is turned on, but if the truck is in battery saver mode, the bed lamps will not turn on.

The truck bed lamps, and cargo lamps are controlled using a positive logic, (+ turned on via the BCM with permanent ground) however, uses negative trigger logic. (BCM supplies + and the switches provide the ground trigger.) (see schematics for better description) If the BCM times out (which it can under various conditions) then the switches may not illuminate anything.

Example:
Screenshot_20240502_220730_FordPass.jpg

Here's an experiment you can try:

The next time neither lamp will turn on, try to turn the headlight switch on. As you can see in the schematic, the headlight switch bypasses the truck bed switch and should illuminate the cargo light. If it does, troubleshoot the connections of the truck bed switch. The truck bed lamps can time out independently of the cargo light, they are different circuits.

If it does not light the cargo lamp, the issue can be a ground missing/intermittent or possibly battery low.

And finally, the computer may be timing out for some reason.

The second schematic has three variations for the cargo lamps depending on your version of truck.

Note: Think of the FET as an electronically controlled switch.

1714977568307.png

Cargo lamp control.jpg

The control for the truck bed lamps and cargo lamps, are separate from the headlight and taillight circuits. The control for the bed lamps and cargo lamps are also different. The cargo lamp can be turned on when the bed lamp switch is turned on, but if the truck is in battery saver mode, the bed lamps will not turn on.

The truck bed lamps, and cargo lamps are controlled using a positive logic, (+ turned on via the BCM with permanent ground) however, uses negative trigger logic. (BCM supplies + and the switches provide the ground trigger.) (see schematics for better description) If the BCM times out (which it can under various conditions) then the switches may not illuminate anything.

Example:
View attachment 155409

Here's an experiment you can try:

The next time neither lamp will turn on, try to turn the headlight switch on. As you can see in the schematic, the headlight switch bypasses the truck bed switch and should illuminate the cargo light. If it does, troubleshoot the connections of the truck bed switch. The truck bed lamps can time out independently of the cargo light, they are different circuits.

If it does not light the cargo lamp, the issue can be a ground missing/intermittent or possibly battery low.

And finally, the computer may be timing out for some reason.

The second schematic has three variations for the cargo lamps depending on your version of truck.

Note: Think of the FET as an electronically controlled switch.

View attachment 155408
View attachment 155410
Thank you Canyon, I’ll try it when I get my truck back

@RunawayTremor : Check this out. Let me know if it helps ID the right connection.

Attachments

• Connector Viewer - 150.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Connector Viewer - 151.pdf
    160.1 KB · Views: 4
Back