Leaky radiator, replaced but maybe not bad to begin with.

sillawydna

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'21 Tremor 6.7
Anyone here work for a dealer service department who can give me some advice?

‘21 6.7 developed a coolant leak below radiator, drivers side. I took it to the dealer who inspected it and said was a bad radiator. They replaced the radiator, which was of course 2 months out of warrant, to the tune of $2,500. Said they pressure tested it and all was good.

Drove it home and was leaking, same pace, same rate. Thought maybe was overflow or something from being replaced. Drove all week keeping an eye on the fluids, and it appears to be an identical leak.

Going back to dealer on Monday. So what’s the play here? Possible could be a loose hose clamp from reassembly or something but it’s likely there will be no way to tell if it really did need the radiator.

What should a reputable dealer do in this situation?

Thanks all,
Andy

Can you start the trunk and crawl under it and watch? Coolant usually leaves witness marks that should be possible to spot. "Just" follow the drip stains untill you find it.

Can you start the trunk and crawl under it and watch? Coolant usually leaves witness marks that should be possible to spot. "Just" follow the drip stains untill you find it.
I’ve tried from top and bottom, it’s so tight in there I just can’t see.

I would guess your original radiator was fine, and that it is a connection or hose. If so, there absolutely needs to be an adjustment to what you were charged.

I can see it’s not coming from the very bottom of the radiator, and doesn’t look to be from the very top, but I have no idea beyond that.

If you take it back to the same dealer and it turns out to be a hose more than likely they will say it was a mistake from the leaking radiator replacement. The tech and dealership will cover their butts and you will never know. The other possibility is that it was indeed a leak left from the radiator replacement. I wouldn't count on getting a dime back from the dealer. That's just how the automotive world works. Lastly, you can't find the leak yourself so you know what the tech was up against and how a mistake could be made.

If you take it back to the same dealer and it turns out to be a hose more than likely they will say it was a mistake from the leaking radiator replacement. The tech and dealership will cover their butts and you will never know. The other possibility is that it was indeed a leak left from the radiator replacement. I wouldn't count on getting a dime back from the dealer. That's just how the automotive world works. Lastly, you can't find the leak yourself so you know what the tech was up against and how a mistake could be made.
You have valid points, but I would at least have them show me the leak in the original part. Coolant leaves stains and should be easy to locate, especially with the original part removed.

You have valid points, but I would at least have them show me the leak in the original part. Coolant leaves stains and should be easy to locate, especially with the original part removed.
You are correct, but that should have been done at the time the truck was picked up. The radiator may be long gone to the recycler.

You are correct, but that should have been done at the time the truck was picked up. The radiator may be long gone to the recycler.
Yea, that’s my bad for not requesting. If there was an issue I’m sure it would have been a mistake, just looking for a consensus on what would be fair for all parties. I could have just received a faulty replacement radiator too, who knows.

Just go back and talk to the dealer and have them fix the existing leak and don't let them sell you another part unless they can show you definitive proof it was bad. If they show you a defective part pay for it if it doesn't look damaged from the radiator replacement, but don't let them charge you labor if it was a part that had to be removed at the time of the radiator replacement.

Last edited:
These dealers don't get in a hurry to do anything, I bet that part is still there. And if the original part was not defective there is recourse to get some if not all your money returned. 🙄

If the original radiator is there, it can be pressure tested alone to confirm or deny it was the original issue.

If the work was done at a Ford dealer there's a 2yr Unlimited mileage warranty for parts/work performed when paid out of pocket.

I'd just make they get it right,

You're likely stuck on the part cost. They might refund some of the labor. I've been there w other cars and dealerships are assholes about compensating owners for incorrect repairs. Their angle is that you got a new part either way.

Call back from the dealer, they tell me the leak is coming from the secondary radiator. When I look under the truck It’s leaking from the exact same place as before, so obviously they initially replaced the wrong radiator.

He says if I pay for the part they’ll cover the labor. I find that not acceptable.

Am I being unreasonable?

Of course on top of this the passenger side door lock actuator died yesterday.

Call back from the dealer, they tell me the leak is coming from the secondary radiator. When I look under the truck It’s leaking from the exact same place as before, so obviously they initially replaced the wrong radiator.

He says if I pay for the part they’ll cover the labor. I find that not acceptable.

Am I being unreasonable?

I don't think you're being unreasonable. I'd at least push em to refund the labor on both the first and second repair.

I think a good question for them is why did they replace the primary radiator? As mentioned before and by others, coolant leaks arent always easy to diagnose. However, I feel a proper diagnostic and pressure test of both primary and secondary systems would have avoided this.

Am I being unreasonable?

Have them refund 100% of the incorrect repair, labor and part, and pay for second. Or have them repair the secondary at no charge.

I took it to the dealer who inspected it and said was a bad radiator.

They made the error. Make them fix the issue due to bad tech diag.

Ask the dealer if he would like to pay for a repair twice. If he says yes tell him to pay for it. These dealers and sorry repair techs are disappointing at best.

Back