Reaction Points
Military
U.S. Navy
Current Ride
1964 K10 Suburban
Current Ride #2
1967 L79 Corvette Convertible
Okay, maybe not FUBAR but not right.

I noticed while stowing the winch hook that as the rope came up tight, it pulled the fairlead and fairlead mounting plate in quite a bit. Upon inspection, I noticed it appears that at least three small countersunk bolts are missing that should tie the fairlead mounting plate to the bumper below (see photos).

Can anyone with a winch tell me if they are also missing these bolts?

I looked through the install instructions and do not see where these bolts should have been installed.

I want to confirm they are missing before I read my dealer the riot act.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mike

PXL_20220128_010409592.jpg
PXL_20220202_001631479.jpg

I noticed while stowing the winch hook that as the rope came up tight, it pulled the fairlead and fairlead mounting plate in quite a bit. Upon inspection, I noticed it appears that at least three small countersunk bolts are missing that should tie the fairlead mounting plate to the bumper below (see photos).

I looked through the install instructions and do not see where these bolts should have been installed.

Mike

View attachment 45561View attachment 45562

You're also missing the "Warn" emblem on your fairlead.

Mike

View attachment 45561View attachment 45562
Here are the installation instructions. Take it back in and ask them to follow the directions. https://performanceparts.ford.com/d...ets/2020_CMY_SUPER_DUTY_TREMOR_WARN_WINCH.PDF

Last edited:
Here’s what mine looks like from a few angles.

62C48A2C-B52E-40C6-95E4-F0E978AC9508.jpeg
A04BF5C2-C478-4DE5-8377-1ED123848B16.jpeg
8FADCEF1-947A-4622-9695-4686185B91E5.jpeg

I can’t see the holes you’re talking about either way because there’s a solid metal plate behind the fairlead blocking the view of the holes. Seems like you’re missing that plate.
Also +1 to @catastrofe that your Warn label is missing. Don’t know if that’s something you removed yourself or if it came to you that way. If it came to you that way you deserve a whole new fairlead.

Something isn’t right and you should take it back and @Willie has you covered with the instructions.

You're also missing the "Warn" emblem on your fairlead.
I painted over the WARN emblem. I don't like to advertise.
Here’s what mine looks like from a few angles.

View attachment 45564View attachment 45565View attachment 45566

I can’t see the holes you’re talking about either way because there’s a solid metal plate behind the fairlead blocking the view of the holes. Seems like you’re missing that plate.
Also +1 to @catastrofe that your Warn label is missing. Don’t know if that’s something you removed yourself or if it came to you that way. If it came to you that way you deserve a whole new fairlead.

Something isn’t right and you should take it back and @Willie has you covered with the instructions.
Hey guys, appreciate the replies.

@ccw, I think I have all the same pieces you have. Maybe you could shine a bright light in between the fairlead and the plate below to see if there are countersunk bolt heads there? If you are old like me, a pair of knee pads and some cheaters may help :)

@Willie, I looked through the install instructions and can't find anywhere that it says to install 3 small countersunk bolts down into the fairlead mounting plate into the bumper (see photo below). Maybe they aren't supposed to be there but when I gently two-block my hook into the fairlead (I know I am not supposed to do this but...), it pulls the whole fairlead and fairlead mounting plate in, exposing the holes in the bumper below.

Mike

1643766385364.png

I painted over the WARN emblem. I don't like to advertise.

Hey guys, appreciate the replies.

@ccw, I think I have all the same pieces you have. Maybe you could shine a bright light in between the fairlead and the plate below to see if there are countersunk bolt heads there? If you are old like me, a pair of knee pads and some cheaters may help :)

@Willie, I looked through the install instructions and can't find anywhere that it says to install 3 small countersunk bolts down into the fairlead mounting plate into the bumper (see photo below). Maybe they aren't supposed to be there but when I gently two-block my hook into the fairlead (I know I am not supposed to do this but...), it pulls the whole fairlead and fairlead mounting plate in, exposing the holes in the bumper below.

Mike

View attachment 45568
You’re right! Holes are indeed there, but my metal plate seems farther out than yours. Had to be at just the right angle to see them, don’t mind take a picture. Got a picture of one of them (might need to zoom in towards the right side).

98F103F1-65C6-4A2B-846E-7AE38AFFC40F.jpeg

You’re right! Holes are indeed there, but my metal plate seems farther out than yours. Had to be at just the right angle to see them, don’t mind take a picture. Got a picture of one of them (might need to zoom in towards the right side).

View attachment 45573

I think your plate is farther out because the bolts hold it in place. Without the bolts, his plate and fair lead got pulled inward exposing the mounting holes.

I think your plate is farther out because the bolts hold it in place. Without the bolts, his plate and fair lead got pulled inward exposing the mounting holes.
Ah good point. That makes sense.

View attachment 45573
Hmm time for you to replace the rusty acorn nuts already :D

Hmm time for you to replace the rusty acorn nuts already :D
I know, right? Those rusted ridiculously quickly! Will need to replace them with some stainless hardware of some form.

Ah good point. That makes sense.
@ccw But there is no bolt in the hole, its empty, like mine. I bet all three holes are, just like the instructions show.

I would like to hear from at least one other with a winch who could look closely and inspect.

I suspect this is a correct install and I yarded down too hard while stowing the rope and bent the fairlead mounting plate ever so slightly.

I may throw some shear resistant bolts in there even if this is correct, just to firm things up.

@ccw But there is no bolt in the hole, its empty, like mine. I bet all three holes are, just like the instructions show.

I would like to hear from at least one other with a winch who could look closely and inspect.

I suspect this is a correct install and I yarded down too hard while stowing the rope and bent the fairlead mounting plate ever so slightly.

I may throw some shear resistant bolts in there even if this is correct, just to firm things up.
Yes, I did get eyes on the other holes and they were indeed empty. Sorry I wasn’t clear about that in my previous post. Only got the picture of the one because getting the angle of the light and camera just right was pretty tedious.

@sandmerchant I believe your install is correct and the three holes you’re seeing are where the retaining clips (probably the wrong term) for the center plastic trim piece were located.

5D63A27E-54EC-47CC-A75A-F4B8AB0E6563.jpeg

The area circled was me telling my dealer they missed the center trim.

574E32BD-BD4F-4F7B-B532-57516D92B6A7.jpeg

This was after I corrected it myself.

@ccw and @BroncoHooves please share if you have a source for replacing the acorn nuts. Mine are already showing some rust also. Any idea on level of difficulty replacing these?

@sandmerchant I believe your install is correct and the three holes you’re seeing are where the retaining clips (probably the wrong term) for the center plastic trim piece were located.

View attachment 45579

View attachment 45580

@ccw and @BroncoHooves please share if you have a source for replacing the acorn nuts. Mine are already showing some rust also. Any idea on level of difficulty replacing these?
@ccw

Not sure on what the thread size is, but these black ones are listed as ultra corrosion resistant: https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/cap-nuts/finish~black-ultra-corrosion-resistant-coated/

View attachment 45579

View attachment 45580

So, it appears that myself and @ccw are at least missing that trim piece! It appears the missing trim piece uses the three bumper holes as mounting holes. Thanks @yArdbird!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back