Installed cool tailgate accessory!

Callsign: Kill Zone

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
US GOVT DOT FAA ZLA ATC
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor
Went to the SoCal overland/adventure expo this past weekend. Normally I’m suspicious of things for sale, but I saw something that I will use now. And probably often.

It’s called the Gate King and it replaces the cables that hold up the tailgate with a ratcheting mechanism. The system is normally off but when you release the latches it’ll hold the tailgate partially closed in a bunch of positions. And when you close it all the way the system resets to normal.

This will help me when I’m hitched to my travel trailer and the electric tongue jack won’t let the tailgate open all the way!

Met and talked to the president (cool guy). Fully designed and manufactured right here in SoCal!

(No affiliation with them and I paid the “expo special price” available to anyone who attended)

Later,

KZ

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_3501.jpeg
    IMG_3501.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3502.jpeg
    IMG_3502.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3503.jpeg
    IMG_3503.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 272
Went to the SoCal overland/adventure expo this past weekend. Normally I’m suspicious of things for sale, but I saw something that I will use now. And probably often.

It’s called the Gate King and it replaces the cables that hold up the tailgate with a ratcheting mechanism. The system is normally off but when you release the latches it’ll hold the tailgate partially closed in a bunch of positions. And when you close it all the way the system resets to normal.

This will help me when I’m hitched to my travel trailer and the electric tongue jack won’t let the tailgate open all the way!

Met and talked to the president (cool guy). Fully designed and manufactured right here in SoCal!

(No affiliation with them and I paid the “expo special price” available to anyone who attended)

Later,

KZ
Your reason is the only reason I see for using it, seeing as it is the same reason I would use it. Their reason doesn't make sense to me though. If I were to put a dirt bike in mine, I would just leave the tailgate down. But, I have never carried a dirt bike so maybe I am wrong?🤷

Damn! How did I miss this show! I was just there a few weeks ago for the boat show. Didn’t see any promo signs for it.
I would have much rather gone to this show instead of the sports expo that I attended. 😡

Is this show done once a year? At just that location?
I found their site but they didn’t have any link for signing up for future event notifications.
Looked like a huge show with strong brand name exhibitors!

Thanks for the scoop on this tailgate adjuster!👍
I sent the link to my SIL who is a-pro mx racer and he said that he has seen them being used but since he has a race van he doesn’t have a use for them so didn’t look into them any closer than noticing them.

Your reason is the only reason I see for using it, seeing as it is the same reason I would use it. Their reason doesn't make sense to me though. If I were to put a dirt bike in mine, I would just leave the tailgate down. But, I have never carried a dirt bike so maybe I am wrong?🤷

Not wrong. Certainly plenty of riders just leave their tailgate down while hauling their bikes.👍
But that isn’t the safest thing to do if there is also other stuff in the truck bed along with the bike(s). And illegal in some states. Tailgates (or their equivalent) are required if cargo is being hauled in the truckbed. That even applies to spare tires that are not secured by a strap or other method to prevent it from sliding out and possibly creating havoc on the roadway. 😉

My neighbor has a Taco and hauls his Kawi 650 DP back and forth to his place in Boise and he is forced to use a strap to keep his tailgate in the tilted up position behind the rear tire of the bike and to help with keeping the other stuff in the bed from sliding out. He has been concerned about the slack in the strap as his tailgate seems to bounce up and down with the rough roads.
This item should eliminate any bouncing and instability with it being in the unnatural tilted position.

Will this lock the tailgate in the down position? With these newer tailgates that have the lift assist in them I have always wanted something that would be able to lock the tailgate in the down position. I haven't had to haul anything long yet in my Super Duty but I know with my F-150's that the tailgate would always bounce when I had longer items in it.

I have considered this as well for when I haul the bikes in the bed. If it's just the 500 I usually put the front of the bike off to one side and kick the rear of the bike to the center so that I can close the tailgate. So far that has worked well but it's not doable with two dual sports in there but that's usually when the trailer tags along. The only reason I can see using one is if I planned to carry my bike and a buddies bike while also towing the camper.

Last edited:
I've seen these and considered it. I don't leave my tailgate down when hauling my bike as it can bounce when going over bumps. Always seemed like a good way to damage a multi-K tailgate.

Normally I just kick the rear end to one side as mentioned above and close the gate.

I have considered this as well for when I haul the bikes in the bed. If it's just the 500 I usually put the front of the bike off to one side and kick the rear of the bike to the center so that I can close the tailgate. So far that has worked well but it's not doable with two dual sports in there but that's usually when the trailer tags along. The only reason I can see using one is if I planned to carry my bike and a buddies bike while also towing the camper.
Ahhh, now that makes more sense. 👍

They don’t lock the tailgate down. They just hold it partially open in about 6 positions. Easily closed, and when fully closed they reset to normal operation.

That's cool! Maybe they would work with us on a group buy if there is enough interest on the forum.

That's cool! Maybe they would work with us on a group buy if there is enough interest on the forum.

Yeah, even if it was the show price they were offering them for to the show attendee’s. Beats retail for it!😉👍

I have had these for a good while, bought them to support my motorcycle when loading and unloading.

Will they work on 250s? Our tailgate has those little tie downs or whatever that protrude into what looks like where the device will hit. Obviously you can remove the tie downs, but would you want to? Not near my truck or I would take a picture for clarification

Will they work on 250s? Our tailgate has those little tie downs or whatever that protrude into what looks like where the device will hit. Obviously you can remove the tie downs, but would you want to? Not near my truck or I would take a picture for clarification
Mine is a 250. 2022. Other than the bolts that mount the system the only other things to replace were two of the bolts that fasten the hinges to the tailgate with ones with smaller heads. And a band clamp on the right side hinge to keep the tailgate from coming off when partially open.

Back