I'm still learning and of course it's going to cost me money.

Churchkey

Tremor Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Army
Current Ride
2022 F350 Lariat Tremor 6.7L AMB
Current Ride #2
'03 FLHRCI
So........today I was working on my onboard air tank which is above the spare tire. I dropped the spare tire and got to work. Along the way I got tired of the spare tire winch cable banging me in the face as I was working so I had the great idea to run it up a bit to get out of the way. Big mistake. After a quick google search I guess I am the only one around that didn't know this would cause the cable to birds nest up in the enclosed spool, jamb, and never to work again. Come on Ford. I know this is a seldom used item but there has to be a better design. All I can do is shake my head.

Hmm. I ran mine up before without the spare present, and didn’t experience that issue!

Yea, you'll probably need someone to hang some weight on it while you cycle it down. I'll bet when you went to lower it, the end got bound up causing the spool to loosen.

UPDATE: I finally got the spare tire winch to work but I had to remove it from the truck, put it in a vise, and get snotty with it. I made a "key" for it out of a 1/2" piece of mild steel I had laying about the shop and used a huge bubba wrench (adjustable) to reef on it. I filled the spool cavity with some Ballistol too. Like @rayw72 and @soulezoo mentioned above, I leaned back on the cable as I was working it back and forth and something inside the spool finally decided to cooperate. I attached a couple pics in case anyone wanted to see what it looks like off the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_8606.jpeg
    IMG_8606.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8607.jpeg
    IMG_8607.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8609.jpeg
    IMG_8609.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8608.jpeg
    IMG_8608.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 56
Whenever I remove the spare tire (at least once annually when I get the truck oil undercoated) I just ensure top keep weight on it the entire time with my other arm. Never had an issue. It only makes sense that you need to keep weight on it so the cable stays tight to the drum inside.

Back