If you want to buy 37's from Discount Tire - may the force be with you

ICT Tremor

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 KR Ultimate Tremor
Have always had a high opinion of Discount Tire. Have bought several sets of tires through the organization - both brick and mortar stores as well as through their website discounttiredirect.com. Great customer service, good prices, careful with wheel finishes, free rotations and balancing, etc.

Well... let me tell you about my experience trying to buy some 37's to replace the OEM Goodyears... holy hell.

Call them up. Tell them the p/n for the Toyo Open Country RT Trails in 37/12.50/18, ask for four and say I'd like to setup an appointment. Everything goes as expected until we get to weight ratings. The OEM Goodyears are a 129, the tires I want are 128 (and I think most/all 37/12.50/18 tires are 128). Sales guy doesn't give me much heat - just says he needs a passcode from the manager. Manager says no, no matter how much I reason with him about the various other weight limitations (wheels, axles, GVWR), or that non-Tremor Super Duties run far lower weight ratings - 125 with the 275/70/18 or 126 with the 275/65/20. Dude had no rational answer for screwing up the purchase other than 128 versus 129 thing. I even explained the info below to him in hopes that logic might reign supreme. Nope, not happening.

Consider the following:

Weight rating of OEM Goodyears on Tremor - 129 or 4079 lbs
Weight rating of Toyo RT Trails 37/12.5/18 (and most if not all 37/12.5/18's) - 128 or 3968 lbs
Weight rating of two most common non-Tremor Super Duty OEM tire profiles - 126 or 3749 lbs (275/65/20), 125 or 3638 lbs (275/70/18)

Which are all meaningless considering the limitations of the truck itself:

Weight rating of OEM Tremor wheels (cast into back of wheel) - 3590 lbs
Weight limit of rear axle (per door jam sticker) - 6950 lbs or 3425 lbs per wheel
Weight limit of front axle (per door jam sticker) - 4800 lbs or 2400 lbs per wheel
GVWR of truck (per door jam sticker) - 11300 lbs or 2825 lbs per wheel

Nothing mattered to the nincompoop incel. His screen said the world would end if I didn't put back on 129 tires, since that's what it came with stock.

By the way, there is no wheel width spec issue here. I know that is the common wall guys hit at big chains with oversized tires. I have 8" wide OEM wheels; Toyo says this tire is good down to 8"; Discount Tire's website says this tire goes down to 7.5" (not sure where they got that).

Ultimately, I guess I have no idea whatsoever why Discount Tire stocks the large amount of off-road tires they do, if they refuse to install them. Seems strange, but it's their business I guess.

Starting to see this more and more. There's just too many lawsuit junkies out there. Not to mention the corporate driven technology/algorithms which eliminate the human "logic" or reasoning or common sense you were after. If THIS then THAT. It's that simple. An excel spreadsheet calls the shots. Human intuition and thought is slowly being phased out.

My advice is to find a small local shop with real mechanics and common sense. Plus America was built on small business. Why give your money to some mega-Corporation. Same reason I don’t shop at Walmart, HD or Lowes if at all possible. Give your money to a local shop screw those big box stores in General. FWIW I’m running those Toyo’s in the size you’re asking about with a 2000lb camper on it full time lol…. Its more than enough tire (as you obviously know).

Unfortunately, This is the way America works. Discount could not recover the costs in one lawsuit (frivolous or not) selling hundreds of sets of tires like this.
In a best case scenario, they will be out 6 figures if nothing happens.

I have a client now who is in for $200k on an accident that caused $1100 for a new Dodge Challenger Bumper and paint job on the bumper. The accident happened at less than 1 mph verified on GPS and the plaintiff was not in the parked vehicle when struck. This is a 7 figure lawsuit.

I see this crap all day and understand Discounts position. Luckily I have some great mobile tire guys.

So interesting fact, Toyo themselves told me my 35x12.50R20 were not rated to the truck and advised me to take them off too for the same reason not being 129Q rated,; though I have F rated tires they're not rated to the factory 4k lbs or whatever.

Are they going off the info you provided or the door sticker numbers??

For me, I know you and I've talked about it, they (Toyo) go off what the factory tire is rated at and not the door. They claim whichever is the more stringent. I concur though a F250 Tremor does not have the capacity in any form from factory rating as say a Fx4 in High Cap tow rating. My Excursion had E rated 35x12.50r20 MTs lol so from that perspective I am not worried about "weight" bc I use my truck 99/100 as a car with a bed, an el ranchero if you will.

I just had the same tires mounted on my 2024 Tremor OEM wheels at Discount. Zero issues. Exact same size.

Attachments

• IMG_5326.jpeg
    IMG_5326.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 85
I really lucked out a couple weeks ago at my Discount Tire, and I knew it at the time too. Brought 37's from eBay purchase (128 load index) and wheels I had also purchased from eBay since they had that wheel and tire discount in March.

Figured I would be under extra scrutiny for supplying my own parts. Guy scanned my door tag with his palm pilot thing and read over the tires I had in the bed of the truck thoroughly. Was waiting for the "no can do" the entire time but it never came. Not sure what they'll say if I go in for a rotate and balance, but I've already prepared my script. Try another discount tire or go to a local shop. My plan B was a small time place near me that has a Hunter road force balancing...balancer. You can use the Hunter site to find shops near you that have their equipment.

My advice is to find a small local shop with real mechanics and common sense. Plus America was built on small business. Why give your money to some mega-Corporation. Same reason I don’t shop at Walmart, HD or Lowes if at all possible. Give your money to a local shop screw those big box stores in General. FWIW I’m running those Toyo’s in the size you’re asking about with a 2000lb camper on it full time lol…. Its more than enough tire (as you obviously know).
Ironically, I ended up doing just this. Found a local shop with good reviews. They are ordered and will be put on by end of week. Most head scratching: They beat Discount by approximately 15%, and I wasn't even asking - just their standard retail. Local, single-location shop came to $1900 installed. Discount was gonna be roughly $2200.

Crazy times. Go figure that one out. I'm thinking the Tire Rack - Discount Tire merger from a couple of years ago isn't saving anyone money via economies of scale and is instead working its way towards anti-trust territory.

They go by your description when you call to order and set the appointment. Unfortunately there's no getting around it as the manager said even if I set the appointment as a non-Tremor SD they'd still be using a tool to scan the door jam stickers anyway.

I just had the same tires mounted on my 2024 Tremor OEM wheels at Discount. Zero issues. Exact same size.
Go figure, right?

I tried two Discount locations too. A combined distance of about two hours from one another (I live in a semi-rural area). Both managers said it was their system and they couldn't over-ride.

Maybe you live in a Discount Tire "region" where common sense still works. In my area it is like trying to reason with robots. There was no getting around it.

Texans generally are more laid back. Glad to see some common sense on this topic.
Cant wait to see what happens at my local discount tire when it's time for tires.

Last edited:
Ive seen this locally as well but oddly it has been with Les Schwab and dont get me talking about them bidding a brake job OMG its replace everything or we wont do it. Had one discount tire refuse to do the same thin but another one locally would. It seems to vary. I currently use Big O and they install whatever I have bought online as well. They even still rotate and balance them Like I bought them from the store. Currently I have the owner of the Big O on the hook of a bet for new tires. If Utah beats BYU This November I get my tires for free. If BYU wins I pay double. Trust me this is a good bet for me ha ha

Texans generally are more laid back. Glad to see some common sense on this topic.
Yeah, for sure. They even called me in for my appointment and then realized only 3 tires had come in. I had to come back the next day again and when I got there, they let me know they were crediting back the full amount of one tire for the inconvenience. Granted I buy alot of tires from this specific Discount (3-4 sets a year), I think that is phenomenal customer service. I won’t go anywhere else if I can help it.

Have always had a high opinion of Discount Tire. Have bought several sets of tires through the organization - both brick and mortar stores as well as through their website discounttiredirect.com. Great customer service, good prices, careful with wheel finishes, free rotations and balancing, etc.

Well... let me tell you about my experience trying to buy some 37's to replace the OEM Goodyears... holy hell.

Call them up. Tell them the p/n for the Toyo Open Country RT Trails in 37/12.50/18, ask for four and say I'd like to setup an appointment. Everything goes as expected until we get to weight ratings. The OEM Goodyears are a 129, the tires I want are 128 (and I think most/all 37/12.50/18 tires are 128). Sales guy doesn't give me much heat - just says he needs a passcode from the manager. Manager says no, no matter how much I reason with him about the various other weight limitations (wheels, axles, GVWR), or that non-Tremor Super Duties run far lower weight ratings - 125 with the 275/70/18 or 126 with the 275/65/20. Dude had no rational answer for screwing up the purchase other than 128 versus 129 thing. I even explained the info below to him in hopes that logic might reign supreme. Nope, not happening.

Consider the following:

Weight rating of OEM Goodyears on Tremor - 129 or 4079 lbs
Weight rating of Toyo RT Trails 37/12.5/18 (and most if not all 37/12.5/18's) - 128 or 3968 lbs
Weight rating of two most common non-Tremor Super Duty OEM tire profiles - 126 or 3749 lbs (275/65/20), 125 or 3638 lbs (275/70/18)

Which are all meaningless considering the limitations of the truck itself:

Weight rating of OEM Tremor wheels (cast into back of wheel) - 3590 lbs
Weight limit of rear axle (per door jam sticker) - 6950 lbs or 3425 lbs per wheel
Weight limit of front axle (per door jam sticker) - 4800 lbs or 2400 lbs per wheel
GVWR of truck (per door jam sticker) - 11300 lbs or 2825 lbs per wheel

Nothing mattered to the nincompoop incel. His screen said the world would end if I didn't put back on 129 tires, since that's what it came with stock.

By the way, there is no wheel width spec issue here. I know that is the common wall guys hit at big chains with oversized tires. I have 8" wide OEM wheels; Toyo says this tire is good down to 8"; Discount Tire's website says this tire goes down to 7.5" (not sure where they got that).

Ultimately, I guess I have no idea whatsoever why Discount Tire stocks the large amount of off-road tires they do, if they refuse to install them. Seems strange, but it's their business I guess.
The funniest part they’ll still rotate them for ya for free! Lmao but won’t sale them to you 🤦

I’ve never bought from discount tire but in today’s age I can’t blame them.

They will either get sued / or the govt will fine them eventually. Either way it won’t work out for them them. My guess if they are doing this they already have been sued from blowouts and lost $$$$$ and insurance has told them they won’t cover lawsuits associated with wrong tire ratings.

I’m surprised Toyo/ Nitto ect aren’t talking to Ford to make sure the tires they are making are compatible.

If my family got struck by a blowout on a tire that wasn’t specd I know probably all of us would be suing discount tire. That’s just the way it is. And if you say you wouldn’t sue a tire company that sold a person the wrong specd tire on purpose - then ran into you/family then your kidding yourself.

There are some things in business I would do 20 years ago that I wouldn’t now- either from being wiser/ more knowledgeable / have accumulated more assets / company is worth more and more establish ect ect. It’s just part of the circle of life and their will be many companies that can accommodate a particular tire but at the end of the day - it’s not worth risking a business/ someone’s livelihood / or someone’s life over a non specd tire.

I think the govt has over reached in many areas but I will also play the game and comply . I think a great example is Boeing. The govt is trying to persecute the actual workers that put the emergency door together. Unfortunately That’s where we are today and not worth the risk.

Got my 37s mounted at Discount by bringing the tires and American Racing wheels in loose in the truck bed and told them it was for a trail rig CJ7 Jeep with a Dana 60 axle and a Ford TPMS module lol. Swapped the wheels over when I got home, then sold the factory wheels.

A tire mount machine will be in my future.

Got my 37s mounted at Discount by bringing the tires and American Racing wheels in loose in the truck bed and told them it was for a trail rig CJ7 Jeep with a Dana 60 axle and a Ford TPMS module lol. Swapped the wheels over when I got home, then sold the factory wheels.

A tire mount machine will be in my future.
I think I would have tried another tire shop before resorting to being dishonest, but that's just me.

I think I would have tried another tire shop before resorting to being dishonest, but that's just me.
Other shop’s balance machine was broken. Other shop I went to damaged my rims. Discount was the best.

Back