How to get better gas mileage from the 7.3?

Other than an occasional K&N filter change I’ve always left my trucks stock. I’ve also only had F150’s.
Any ideas on how to improve gas mileage on the 7.3? I know it’s a super duty and you don’t buy them for the gas efficiency. I’m just looking for a few suggestions that may allow me to squeeze out a couple more MPG’s (other than driving in ECO below 65mph!)
I used to drive a super duty v-10 dually flat bed, 60 miles each way, 5-6 days a week. I was able to up my fuel economy by 2-3 mpg to 13mpg. A friend (I would affectionately call an old timer) told me “push on the go pedal and the woh pedal like there is an egg between your boot and the pedal”. That and I used cruise control anywhere I could and dropped 4 mph off my highway speed. I think adding a free flowing air intake, tires at door recommended pressure and adding non-tremor air dam would all help too. I would also keep from adding anything that changes the air flow over the truck.

I used to drive a super duty v-10 dually flat bed, 60 miles each way, 5-6 days a week. I was able to up my fuel economy by 2-3 mpg to 13mpg. A friend (I would affectionately call an old timer) told me “push on the go pedal and the woh pedal like there is an egg between your boot and the pedal”. That and I used cruise control anywhere I could and dropped 4 mph off my highway speed. I think adding a free flowing air intake, tires at door recommended pressure and adding non-tremor air dam would all help too. I would also keep from adding anything that changes the air flow over the truck.
How does a CAI improve fuel economy? Does AFE/K&N/Cobb/... claim better fuel efficiency as well now?

How does a CAI improve fuel economy? Does AFE/K&N/Cobb/... claim better fuel efficiency as well now?
I have used k&n on almost every vehicle I owned until a few years ago. The last couple of times I didn’t see much improvement, if any. Not sure if any manufacturer is claiming better fuel efficiency. I did have a k&n on the v-10 and had “adjusted” the size of the opening into the air box. Not sure it helped the mileage.

I’m getting 14.5 to 15 between Hwy/City miles. My daily commute is about 20 miles of backroads to interstate with stoplights in the city. I’m almost certain I can pull 18-19 on long interstate drive. I’ll test it out when I head up to Alabama to go hunting later this year.
I would love to get more mpg, but I don’t know if tuning or any other bolt-one’s like a CAI will work, nor if it would be worth the money.

Attachments

• AC4830E7-AF98-42CB-A5E5-A4C1E1B67C32.jpeg
    AC4830E7-AF98-42CB-A5E5-A4C1E1B67C32.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 176
I get 8.5 mpg towing my 8k camper and a bed full of toys. I didnt buy the truck to run around empty and pretend like I'm getting good gas mileage, I got it to tow me and my family safely to many adventures anywhere I want to go. :)

60-70 seems to be the sweet spot, I can believe guys are getting 14+ if driving conservative. It seems once you past 70 it starts to really drop, even seen a few diesel guy report lower numbers if speed moves past 70. I wonder how much you would gain if any replacing the all terrain/mud type tire with a more conservative tire, like a michelin at or cooper at tire.

I took a trip with the family down to Anaheim from san Bernardino. 3 adults and 2 kids ( estimate weight about 880 lbs).

On the way there it was pretty much all down hill. I managed to get up to 16.8 mph. Stayed at 70 to 80 most of the way.
I also used Cruise control when. Ever possible.

On the way back without any stop and go traffic driving 70 to 75 it dropped down to 15.

That's pretty much the best I've seen. I bought the truck knowing that my mpg would suck, I do notice the difference when I baby it vs driving it aggressively.

My 2 cents? If you're looking for better mpg, be light on the acceleration, use CC when ever possible, and keep eco mode on. For all the other times use it as god intended it to be used and enjoy it's power. It really is a blast to drive.IMG_20201024_125530.jpg

My rack causes me to lose about 1mpg. I cant keep it below 80-85 on the freeway, I average 11.1mpg. I love this 7.3 and it doesn’t bother me to feed it regularly. Lol

82747BA2-4894-4A1F-BDF8-889921BDF0ED.jpeg

Recently a tank I averaged around 14.5 mpg which impressed me. it was more highway mileage unloaded. On average before I was doing 13.5mpg mixed.

Recently a tank I averaged around 14.5 mpg which impressed me. it was more highway mileage unloaded. On average before I was doing 13.5mpg mixed.
Doing 15.3 mpg mixed right now over the last 400 miles... If i really baby this thing and drive strictly speed limit, I can prob get it to 16.5...

My fuel mileage seems to be getting better the more I drive it also. I'm at 14.2 and use the cruise control and eco mode for just highway driving. I'm still waiting for k&n to come out with a cold air intake system or even just a filter

An aftermarket non oiled performance air filter, Full Synthetic 5w40, a friction modifier in your oil such as "Archoil", non ethanol fuel, high tire pressure, a tonneau cover!

My fuel mileage seems to be getting better the more I drive it also. I'm at 14.2 and use the cruise control and eco mode for just highway driving. I'm still waiting for k&n to come out with a cold air intake system or even just a filter
I just found this the other day. They also have a CAI thats coming out, I called to ask when they will be shipping, they said probably around January.

I just found this the other day. They also have a CAI thats coming out, I called to ask when they will be shipping, they said probably around January.

Here’s the CAI kit.

An aftermarket non oiled performance air filter, Full Synthetic 5w40, a friction modifier in your oil such as "Archoil", non ethanol fuel, high tire pressure, a tonneau cover!
Why 5w40? Godzilla likes 5w30. Changing viscosity seems a crazy idea with how meticulously those modern engines are engineered. Something happens and they read the oils, warranty is out the door. Will the benefit of 40 vs 30 oil really justify that? I doubt it. Same goes for friction modifiers aka CeraTec et cetera. I’ve used that stuff extensively in my Porsche 4.8L V8 (naturally aspirated) and it really did well on high mileage engines BUT again, someone looks at your oil in the shop and sees the milkiness? Warranty out the door. Plus a lot of those friction modifiers are pretty hard on the spark plugs so you’re looking at decreased intervals. Not sure what the air filter will do other than throw you a CEL, which is what CAIs and aftermarket filters are really great at. Non-ethanol fuel. Ok... that’ll actually work.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back